A city reborn

Martinman

Some tidbits from an interesting article in, of all places, Creative Loafing.

It details how downtown Atlanta was such a happening, exciting place as late as the 60's and that its gone mostly downhill since then despite several misguided efforts at revival in the 90's.

"But here's a bit of news you may not have heard yet: Downtown's long-awaited urban renaissance has already begun. Pull a Rip Van Winkle for a few years and when you wake up, you'll scarcely recognize the formerly dull, shopworn streets."

-More than 2,500 new condos, apartments and townhouses are in the works in or near downtown, boosting the downtown population by nearly a quarter to more than 30,000 - and those figures don't include a new 2,000-room dorm tower for Georgia State University students

-Four new hotels are planned for the Centennial Park area, three of which will be upscale boutique hotels, including a just announced 250-room W luxury hotel

-Spaces for hundreds of street-level shops and restaurants will open up around Centennial Park, along Marietta Street and throughout the now blighted Auburn/Edgewood corridor.

-Construction on two new corporate headquarters buildings containing a half-million square feet of office space is already well under way at the $330 million Ivan Allen Plaza

-Millions of dollars in private and public money is earmarked for landscaping along downtown streets, new urban greenspace, and pedestrian signs to direct you to historic sites or help you find your way

http://CreativeLoafing/-1/ATL

Here are the stats from CAP (Central Atlanta Progress) for downtown developments under construction, planned or built since 2003

-over $2 billions dollars total investment

-5,100 housing units

-1,000 hotel rooms

-300k + sf retail space

-$35 million in streetscapes and signage

http://www.atlantadowntown.com/PDF

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^That is a very good article, but it's this quote that I found the most interesting:

People with negative perceptions of Atlanta's downtown "likely haven't been here for a very long time," he said. "If they come here and spend any time at all, and see everything that's happening, they'll change their minds."

I was recently in Atlanta for a business convention and was quite surprised. I had been to the area several times prior to this and seemed to find the downtown area kinda sketchy and worn out. This was not the case when I came back earlier this year. There was quite a noticeable difference. Things seemed more vibrant, lively, and even a little bit cleaner. I think Atlanta is a really great place. A gem not only for the south, but for the entire nation.

Ironchapman, what do you find so intruiging about this quote?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It just seems to me that a lot of people find Atlanta's downtown to be boring or dead while some (like myself) find it much more vibrant than that (certainly not on a New York or LA level, but still lively).

It's just interesting to see how people's perceptions of downtown Atlanta change or differ.

I do not find Dowtown that enticing. I am a Midtown and Buckhead kind of guy. B)

I feel a bit paranoid walking around downtown at night. I know that it is getting better, but it has a ways to go. Midtown and Buckhead are WAY ahead of the curve. I really see Midtown blowing up. I see something different going up every time I am in Atlanta. It is truly exciting.

A2

I do not find Dowtown that enticing. I am a Midtown and Buckhead kind of guy.  B)

I feel a bit paranoid walking around downtown at night. I know that it is getting better, but it has a ways to go. Midtown and Buckhead are WAY ahead of the curve. I really see Midtown blowing up. I see something different going up every time I am in Atlanta. It is truly exciting.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, it does seem that most of the "action" (so to speak) is happening in Midtown or Buckhead. I've always just been a bit more of a downtown guy because I spend most of my time there (Turner Field, the Varsity, the Georgia Dome, Philipps Arena, Crawford Long, etc.)

You know, it would be so nice if we could build that new symphony hall. Whatever happened to it. Is it still in the proposal stages and does it actually have a chance of being built?

300symphonycenter1.jpg

Typical Calatrava, but it would add a nice touch to the skyline.

Atlantasymphonycenter.org

I ask this here because this might could help in the city's rebirth.

You know, it would be so nice if we could build that new symphony hall. Whatever happened to it. Is it still in the proposal stages and does it actually have a chance of being built?

300symphonycenter1.jpg

Typical Calatrava, but it would add a nice touch to the skyline.

Atlantasymphonycenter.org

I ask this here because this might could help in the city's rebirth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its a little different than a mere proposal since this is a nonprofit. The hall WILL be built whenever the ASO has raised the $300 million to build it. At last report they were off to a good start.

I wish they could have placed this design overlooking the Downtown Connector instead of being hidden by 1180 Peachtree, The Promenade, One Atlantic Center and the GLG Grand/Four Seasons. The design is such a work of art and I'm sure in person it would be a feast for the eyes.

Maybe the ASO can do a "the Bricks" or "the Scales" promotion like Centennial Park and The Georgia Aquarium did. Maybe cute little clef notes.....but they would have to go somewhere hidden because anything cheesy would totally destroy this work of art.

I wish they could have placed this design overlooking the Downtown Connector instead of being hidden by 1180 Peachtree, The Promenade, One Atlantic Center and the GLG Grand/Four Seasons. The design is such a work of art and I'm sure in person it would be a feast for the eyes.

It would make a little more sense down there because more people could see it.

Maybe the ASO can do a "the Bricks" or "the Scales" promotion like Centennial Park and The Georgia Aquarium did. Maybe cute little clef notes.....but they would have to go somewhere hidden because anything cheesy would totally destroy this work of art.

What if they made clef note tiles to put around the symphony center and on the paths around it? Kind of like they did with the bricks at Centennial Olympic Park.

What if they made clef note tiles to put around the symphony center and on the paths around it? Kind of like they did with the bricks at Centennial Olympic Park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great idea..........if only they could moved it to over look the Downtown Connecter. There is a lot across Spring St from the 1280West condo building that's available. This lot over looks the Connector. They could have it level with the swoop going away from the Connector....it would be perched up and the building could have a rear plaza...where the clefs can go ^_^ ...and the plaza will have a reflection pool at the edge with a disappearing edge. From the Connector you would see a wall about 20 feet high in black granite.....the water from the relfection pool above would cascade over the edge and down the wall giving a beauty fountain sound. At night the water wall and Hall would be lite up in a warm amber glow. :wub:

But I guess that's why I'm not in urban planning because I would bankrupt my clients with all these silly ideas. :blush:

Archived