A city reborn

Martinman

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish they could have placed this design overlooking the Downtown Connector instead of being hidden by 1180 Peachtree, The Promenade, One Atlantic Center and the GLG Grand/Four Seasons. The design is such a work of art and I'm sure in person it would be a feast for the eyes.

Maybe the ASO can do a "the Bricks" or "the Scales" promotion like Centennial Park and The Georgia Aquarium did. Maybe cute little clef notes.....but they would have to go somewhere hidden because anything cheesy would totally destroy this work of art.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you also saying that you want the building to have a view of the connector?

"But here's a bit of news you may not have heard yet: Downtown's long-awaited urban renaissance has already begun. Pull a Rip Van Winkle for a few years and when you wake up, you'll scarcely recognize the formerly dull, shopworn streets."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree. I've been going to Underground more often this year. It's great. I've gone to 99x concerts and a couple of clubs at Underground. It's really something else. It's almost like a mini Bourbon Street. Lots of activity there at night. With the new residences being built, I'm sure DT will get even better.

I went to downtown today and was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of pedestrians and signs of urban life. I even drove past SoNo; the area has really improved. it's a lot nicer now. There are some worn down areas in south downtown but I'n sure those are next. Overall, I thought the whole downtown area had a lot more life!

Are you also saying that you want the building to have a view of the connector?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More aptly, I would like for the Connector to have a better view of the ASO Hall. Atlanta get's knocked so much for being linear and stuffing everything along Peachtree St so I figured, this is a area with a few lots left and there is the Atlantic Station development across the connector from the exact lot I have in mind. This could pull more development away from Peachtree......while making a bold statement to passerbys on the interstate.

Besides, I can't think of a location on Peachtree large enough to handle it. There is a lot across from 1100 Peachtree but it may be too small. Oh well......

You know, I went to Centennial Park and the Westin Peachtree after having lunch at the Varsity today. I must say that it was a wonderful experience.

The streets were pretty active as I got closer to the Peachtree from where I parked, but they were by no means on the Chicago or NYC level (which could be expected since Atlanta is nowhere near them). The view from the Peachtree was amazing, even for a hazy day such as today. It was well worth the $5. from up ther,e I could see plenty of cars on the freeway and on the streets. I also saw several people making their way through the streets and sidewalks of the city. Centennial Park was full of families playing in the fountains and on the grass field that it provides. I even found time to find my family's bricks!

I took plenty of photos (including a good one of the aquarium). I will upload them later. I intend to start visiting Atlanta more (to take pictures especially, so look out for them).

...There goes my analysis of downtown Atlanta.

You know, I went to Centennial Park and the Westin Peachtree after having lunch at the Varsity today. I must say that it was a wonderful experience.

The streets were pretty active as I got closer to the Peachtree from where I parked, but they were by no means on the Chicago or NYC level (which could be expected since Atlanta is nowhere near them). The view from the Peachtree was amazing, even for a hazy day such as today. It was well worth the $5. from up ther,e I could see plenty of cars on the freeway and on the streets. I also saw several people making their way through the streets and sidewalks of the city. Centennial Park was full of families playing in the fountains and on the grass field that it provides. I even found time to find my family's bricks!

I took plenty of photos (including a good one of the aquarium). I will upload them later. I intend to start visiting Atlanta more (to take pictures especially, so look out for them).

...There goes my analysis of downtown Atlanta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gosh I guess it was all us forumers walking around downtown today. I was there also to get some photos for a thread idea I had.

I agree Iron that there was a good amount of activity on Peachtree but I couldn't help but imagine what it would be like, I mean WILL be like when there are retailers in the old macy's building, when the wWinecoff hotel is revitalized with retail at the street, when the rapid development around Centennial Park and the revitalization of Farlie/Poplar and Peachtree connect and spreads outward from there.

Basically all I could see was the potential of a city on the verge of taking huge step forward.

Gosh I guess it was all us forumers walking around downtown today.  I was there also to get some photos for a thread idea I had.

Maybe we all saw each other and didn't know it. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I agree Iron that there was a good amount of activity on Peachtree but I couldn't help but imagine what it would be like, I mean WILL be like when there are retailers in the old macy's building....... when the rapid development around Centennial Park and the revitalization of Farlie/Poplar and Peachtree connect. 

Basically all I could see was the potential of a city on the verge of taking huge step forward.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just imagine a Lakeshore Drive or a Michigan Avenue. that's pobably what it will end up looking like in a few (several) years.

I certainly look forward to the day when Peachtree and Fairlie Poplar connect. It will be the old Atlanta of the early 1900's connecting with today's Atlanta of the early 21st century. Do you think it will ever become part of what is considered to be the downtown area again? Or would you already consider it part of it?

• 2 weeks later...

WHOA!!! :w00t::w00t:

I was seriously blown away by this video.

Atlanta will be quite a site to see in 15-25 years if this is successful.

The really cool part of it is that you can see parts of it beginning to sprout in several of the vision areas. There's been residential development around Auburn Ave with more planned, you see the Reynolds in the SoNo area and new small residential development in Castleberry hill near the Garnett station.

Of course the Centennial Park and the Centennial Hill visions are well under way

Recently Completed

Museum Tower

Centennial House

Centennial West

Omni hotel

Under construction

Twelve

30 Allen Plaza

55 Allen Plaza

Aquarium

World of Coke

Glenn Hotel

Ivan Allen streetscape

planned / proposed

Centennial Park East

Block 3

50 Allen Plaza

Museum Tower II

W hotel

Park Pavilion retail

Hilton Garden hotel

W. Peachtree and Simpson streetscape improvement

Baker streetscape improvement

Expanded Mayors Park :thumbsup:

This pdf map details this areas development.

JSACorridorActivity022405-WebVersion.pdf

^ If you are going to include Glenn Hotel, then also include for certain Winecoff Hotel under planned/proposed & possibly Medical Building (another boutique hotel). In addition the Americasmart expansion is an 18 story building with ground level retail, south side of downtown will be the relocation of police, fire & possibly additional city staff (watershed management?) to at least building - either renovated or new construction. Another proposed redevelopment is the Civic Center site - which was tentatively announced early this year will mean a huge amount of additional residential units.

But I agree - I would expect more announcements along the new Ivan Allen Blvd & northeast of Centinneal Park & along Marietta St. Also the east side of downtown along Auburn & Edgewood is a big spot of activity.

^ If you are going to include Glenn Hotel, then also include for certain Winecoff Hotel under planned/proposed & possibly Medical Building (another boutique hotel). In addition the Americasmart expansion is an 18 story building with ground level retail, south side of downtown will be the relocation of police, fire & possibly additional city staff (watershed management?) to at least building - either renovated or new construction. Another proposed redevelopment is the Civic Center site - which was tentatively announced early this year will mean a huge amount of additional residential units.

But I agree - I would expect more announcements along the new Ivan Allen Blvd & northeast of Centinneal Park & along Marietta St. Also the east side of downtown along Auburn & Edgewood is a big spot of activity.

Yeah, it'll be a great day when the Winecoff finally reopens its doors.

I totally forgot about Americasmart. Wow 18 stories! I wouldve never expected that type of building being that tall.

I totally forgot about Americasmart. Wow 18 stories! I wouldve never expected that type of building being that tall.

That'll be an awesome sight to see.

In case no one saw it, here is the AJC Article on the police and fire departments moving their HQ's to one bu8ilding. This, of course, is because we are trying to sell off the City Hall East building.

Just an extra bit of info for those that don't already know. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Atlanta Business Chronicle has an article about the sale of Norfolk Southern's downtown property being on the fast track.

They are putting their four buildings on Spring street up for sale now that they plan to vacate the buildings. Two of the buildings were built in 1912 and they forwarded marketing materials to several condo developers. It also mentions the "gulch" which is also for sale.

A revitalization of these buildings would really be a boon to downtown's growing momentum. The gulch is such a large amount of undeveloped land there could someday be a huge master planned development, a la Atlantic Station.....someday

• 1 year later...

^^ I was just thinking of posting some recent downtown developments in this thread. Great minds really do think alike. ;)

Retail

(context) - a new 8,000 sq. ft. furniture gallery specializing in modern design European furniture, art and accessories, recently opened a retail showroom in the heart of Downtown Atlanta. Located on the ground floor of the historic Freeman Ford Building on John Wesley Dobbs Avenue.

Luckie Food Lounge is slated to open in April featuring large aquariums that play off of the Georgia Aquarium across the street.

The giant 15,000-square-foot eatery will have a large sushi bar, four outdoor patios with sweeping city views, and a high-end sundries store called Charm.

Thrive is an upscale yet casual restaurant located in the heart of downtown Atlanta. Thrive

I came across this thread and thought I had found hope for the downtown district. I recently relocated to Atlanta from Houston and have visited the downtown core of these cities several times each. I have often been dissapointed how DT ATL seems so dirty and has so many ghetto people roaming the streets in the middle of the afternoon. When going about downtown in Houston, you see several hundred professional looking business men and women walking the streets. It seems as if the ATL business people are scared to come out in the masses. I have also found this sad for a city that is the Capital for the State of Georgia. I just figured that people would have much more pride for it and where they live. When I saw this thread, I was thinking "great, they are going to do something about it", but then noticed the thread was 2years old =/. Over the last year and a half I have noticed a difference in the city as far as new buildings going up left and right, but but thats about it. I have always loved the Atlanta skyline over Houstons, although it isn't as dense nor as populated with buildings but they are built with great design. Unfortunately buildings that are appeasing to the eye do not make doing business in the ghetto very comfortable. I am just definately starting to think I would pick doing business in Houston over Atlanta any day.

I came across this thread and thought I had found hope for the downtown district. I recently relocated to Atlanta from Houston and have visited the downtown core of these cities several times each. I have often been dissapointed how DT ATL seems so dirty and has so many ghetto people roaming the streets in the middle of the afternoon. When going about downtown in Houston, you see several hundred professional looking business men and women walking the streets. It seems as if the ATL business people are scared to come out in the masses. I have also found this sad for a city that is the Capital for the State of Georgia. I just figured that people would have much more pride for it and where they live. When I saw this thread, I was thinking "great, they are going to do something about it", but then noticed the thread was 2years old =/. Over the last year and a half I have noticed a difference in the city as far as new buildings going up left and right, but but thats about it. I have always loved the Atlanta skyline over Houstons, although it isn't as dense nor as populated with buildings but they are built with great design. Unfortunately buildings that are appeasing to the eye do not make doing business in the ghetto very comfortable. I am just definately starting to think I would pick doing business in Houston over Atlanta any day.

What is currntly known as downtown will have some very distinct and important roles in the near future that argue well for its success, in commen terms. One, the expansion of the Georgia State footprint; the long term economic future of Atlanta,Georgia and indeed America srongly depends on the strength of our : brain factories". Two, untill(the next 10-15 years) these brain factories get up to speed, tourism and conventions are going to the primary drivers of the local economy and downtown has the assets-Aquarium,WOC , the Americas Mart-to be the dominent player. Lastly, downtown's transportation infrastructure -MARTA,Commuter rail(it will happen,just as soon as it should/could have) and the regional BRT stations provide the foundation for the only true predestrian friendly envoirnment in the region. And it is being improved in order to accomadate the trends outlined above.

So, in short and summary, downtown's future is sweet!

Archived