Will Bank of America announce a new project?

UrbanCharlotte

Do you think BofA will be announcing any new projects in the next 5 years?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think BofA will be announcing any new projects in the next 5 years?

• Yes
    • No
    • More than 5 years

I disagree......downtown will always be downtown.....even if 277 was torn down, the area has taken on it's own character separate from Southend and Midtown/Elizabeth and North Charlotte which are the three areas where the grid remains most intact.

Just as NYC has Downtown and Midtown, and Chicago has inside the loop, "Uptown" will continue to be the central urbanized node of commercial activity.

We are at an advantage over many larger cities that boomed in the 1960's-1980's and whose CBD is primarily office space. I believe as dubone has noted that the mix of office, residential, entertainment etc will preserve the attractiveness of the area.

As to whether the transit lines develop their own commercial nodes. I certainly hope they do, but I see it unlikely that BofA, Wachovia, or Duke would build any substantial amount of space outside of Uptown. We will likely see smaller professional offices (medical, legal, financial, etc), retail, and residential projects populated by Uptown workers and those who work at the small professional offices.

The one type of business center that could occupy large amounts of space centered on the rail lines would be call centers. BellSouth did it in Atlanta, perhaps someone will do it in Charlotte.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i agree with you, atlrvr, except on one point, i think that a strategy for the city must be to remove industrial uses from the numbered streets between 12 and 36 and reconnect the grid there (i have written diatribes on this subject in a few other threads, so i'll spare you all this time).... but at any rate, the act of reclaiming industrial land in older gridded sections of town (especially along the transit corridors, as MB points out) provides ample land for urban density that will certainly prevent the inside the loop area being all skyscrapers....but towers will still be built downtown.

Well.....as opposed to University City or Ballantyne which may or may not become the largest employment/business centers, I was qualifying Uptown as an urbanized node to differentiate it.......

In other words, I don't expect any place in Charlotte that has urban infrastructure to surpass Uptown in terms of business activity.

I don't think anyone questions that, and that isn't the question.  Will they build another multi hundred million dollar tower in downtown CLT?  I don't think they need it.  They need to fill gateway first.  The days of Hugh McColl building taller than his rivals are over.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BofA is piloting a new office design concept in the BofA Plaza to maximize office space efficiency. The Bank of America Plaza building is around 80% vacant. Most of their floors have on average 12 empty cubes, which is not enough space to move entire groups around. Multiply 12 empty cubes times the number of floors they have in the center city and you can see that with a new space strategy (only senior execs will have real offices, all others will have smaller cubes) they can get a lot more out of the space they currently have. After the pilot some of their other floors in other buildings will undergo that same process, depending on the success of the pilot.

This doesn't mean they won't build another tower downtown, but it does tell me they are busy maximizing existing space. That supports monsoon's opinion that they don't need another large tower right now.

I definetly think they plan on building on the smaller scale, Expanding Gateway or creating similar projects to there Gateway Village. But I do see them partnering with an anchor on a large tower given the opertunity. I think the tallest tower game was really over when Hugh and ED retired. The Kens seem more conservative.

Archived