Quorum Center

Raleigh-NC

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A coworker of mine finally got in touch with Ted Reynolds. The last low end price in the N&O that I read was in the 150's but apparently the architect talked them into going higher end with the low end being more like 180k. Mr. Reynolds, if you are reading this...what are you thinking???

My guess? He's thinking, "It seems there's enough demand for these condos to sell them at $180k, so why sell them at $150? More money for me!"

Even so, $180k isn't too bad for a downtown condo in a high rise. What's the square footage for these? I heard they were going to be pretty small, as in one bedroom.

• 2 months later...

I went by the Quorum center today. I'm thinking that, because of the location, this will be a great addition to the skyline. However, I counted the floors and only came up with 11. Isn't it supposed to be fifteen? If so, why does it look as if they have stopped building up? Does anyone know?

I haven't seen it for a couple days, but they've been building it one floor at a time, completing each floor plate before moving onto the next. Perhaps they've reached a point where they need to do something else before they go any further, or perhaps the cost of gasoline and the spotty shortages have slowed them down.

But to the best of my knowledge, Quorum will be 15 stories.

Another interesting tidbit you may or may not know about the Quorum Center.

The first and second floors of the parking deck along Harrington Street will be built with "knock-out" floors - as in, they are not load bearing or structurally critical. The reason? when the Government Center TTA station is built (or when critical mass is reached through some other means) the floors can be removed to allow for construction of street-level retail along Harrington.

I wish they would build it for retail from the get-go, but at least they're leaving the option open :)

• 3 weeks later...

A construction update. These pictures were taken from the bottom of the hill by Southend Brewery. Quorum looks really tall already from down there... and they still have four more floors to go.

The second picture is a close up so you can see where they have the floor numbers spraypainted on plywood so people in the construction elevator can tell what floor they're on.

quorum2.jpgquorum1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Me and the girlfriend were downtown looking at that yesterday. 3 more stories to go. I think the elevation might be visually and actually taller than the Clarion. Mainly because the stories are taller in an office building.

Has anyone noticed that the floors in Quorum Center get shorter the closer to the top of the building you go. I guess that is where the condos begin (the difference being 12 foot ceilings as opposed to say ???)

I believe Reynolds and Reynolds mentioned a possible 15 story tower on Hargett and Jones? So it will be right next to Jillians or the adjacent parking lot? Either way, with that, the Reynolds proposed building and Warrens Dist. site going down soon to make way for 222 Glenwood there will be a new skyline.

BTW, Flash. If you want to see one of the most interesting angles for a skyline shot go to Dorethea Dix. Me and the girlfriend took a drive through around there and the saw a really good angle beyond the soccer field.

Flash, please forgive me. I just saw the photo tour that includes the very Dorethea Dix shot. LOL You are on top of things I'm glad to know.

Looking at that shot shows that there is a lot of room for a jungle of purposeful buildings. Man our skyline could be immense. Look at the distance between the Archadale (far left) and the Wachovia building.

• 5 months later...

Archived