The Madison

UrbanCharlotte

wow. $750,000 to $1.5 million for this. i really thought i read that wrong... man, i mean i have no connection what-so-ever with this project, but when i read that i felt insulted. hopefully these will have a hard time selling otherwise we're witnessing the "dumbing down" of our center city.

ok. a tad dramatic, but this with that price tag is bad.

I concur, they've got entirely the wrong brand for this kind of thing. Now if the Ritz did something like that it would be entirely different. And the building would probably look a little nicer.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article states, "...To enhance views -- uptown on one side, south Charlotte on the other -- balconies will be protected by 48-inch-high glass topped by a thin metal rail." I'm sorry, there is no way that units on the southwest part of the building will have an uptown view. No doubt the only view that either side will have will be of whatever's going on in the hotel rooms a mere 150 feet away.

I'm still a little sceptical about this. As quoted before " To enhance views -- uptown on one side, south Charlotte on the other -- balconies will be protected by 48-inch-high glass topped by a thin metal rail." I'm not even sure that would help as I would want to be able to see the skyline from my living room rather than hanging over my thin metal rail in order to catch a glimpse of the WB complex.

I have friends and business partners stay at the hampton inn and they said they had a wonderful view of most of downtown, and I am pretty sure that you'll have a view from these condos as well. The Panos complex perpendicular to downtown charlotte, and at the very edge, so you can see a little bit of downtown, but I do agree it would be pretty unfortunate to be looking into room 323. I am however by no means trying to defend this awful excuse for even a hotel, and at a 3/4 mill I'm not so sure its worth it, but there are only 26 units I believe, so my intuition says it'll sell out, and pretty quickly, which is unfortunate.

So, I'm guessing that every condo then will stretch from stem to stern then? In other words, all units will have ends facing each hotel? My initial thinking was that half the units would face the Hilton Garden (city-side) and the other half would face the Hampton (Midtown-side), which would suck for those people. But, with only 26 units, they'll probably go end-to-end. Still not a fan though.

What an unbelieveable project. High-end condo sandwiched between two cheap looking hotels? I bet there will be 26 sales though. Look at sales of McMansions -- I can't believe anyone would pay what they do for those, but they do. In the very least it makes other high-end condos look better and more attractive.

Who are these developers and how did they come up with this concept? An investor out of Gastonia? Not cracking on G-town, but i don't know of any high-end condos there so I can't imagine how one could cut their teeth on penthouse condo developments out of a little southern town.

Not only that, but I think the place is simply ugly. It looks like the afterthought that it is. If I were to consider living as part of a hotel complex, W, The Westin, or the Ritz would be the only choice (or maybe in the Days Inn on Tryon).

It will be VERY interesting to follow sales on this. I won't be disappointed if they sell, but certainly surprised.

Be quiet, you doubters!

Nothing shouts "world class" like penthouse living, behind EFIS siding in the midst of two hotels and two fake clock towers, on top of a parking deck....

And I bet there'll be a great view of the fireworks in Fort Mill, to boot. :P

This will sell out in record time... Heck, we only need 13 people to buy two units!

You know, someone is paying $26 million to build 26 condos in a less-than-perfect location on spec in Uptown Charlotte -- and you'd think from reading this discussion that something horrible has happened.

Doesn't this strike anyone else as a strong vote of confidence in our downtown? And not just from these developers. Presumably, there's a bank putting up the money, and presumably they also think it's a good idea.

Ugly it may be, but watching it go up makes me feel a lot better about the prospects for classy projects like the Vue.

Apparently you can get your own private elevator in this project. Wonder how that works.

I wonder if that just means that it won't stop on more than one floor on the way to its destinations. No way they'll put 26 elevators into this project.

You know, someone is paying $26 million to build 26 condos in a less-than-perfect location on spec in Uptown Charlotte -- and you'd think from reading this discussion that something horrible has happened.

Doesn't this strike anyone else as a strong vote of confidence in our downtown? And not just from these developers. Presumably, there's a bank putting up the money, and presumably they also think it's a good idea.

Ugly it may be, but watching it go up makes me feel a lot better about the prospects for classy projects like the Vue.

You have a point here.

This project makes sense now, well at least a little more. I have a friend involved in this project and he and I had a conversation about the uselessness and usefulness of this project, and there was a misconception of mine that he cleared up and it might also be a misconceptions of you guys. The misconception is in the layout of each units, which makes sense speaking that none of us has seen a single floorplan. Each floor is divided in quarters, in other words, each floor has only 4 units, so in part of the house you will have a view of downtown (or south charlotte), then the other part of the house you have the view of the hotel, so its not as bad, but still bad. At least that means that every single person at least has one wall with a view of something other than a hotel. And the view of downtown from that wall is a real money shot, have you seen it, its pretty good. Its also going to be pretty swanky from what I understand.

This project makes sense now, well at least a little more. I have a friend involved in this project and he and I had a conversation about the uselessness and usefulness of this project, and there was a misconception of mine that he cleared up and it might also be a misconceptions of you guys. The misconception is in the layout of each units, which makes sense speaking that none of us has seen a single floorplan. Each floor is divided in quarters, in other words, each floor has only 4 units, so in part of the house you will have a view of downtown (or south charlotte), then the other part of the house you have the view of the hotel, so its not as bad, but still bad. At least that means that every single person at least has one wall with a view of something other than a hotel. And the view of downtown from that wall is a real money shot, have you seen it, its pretty good. Its also going to be pretty swanky from what I understand.
I still don't see how a unit in the southwest quadrant of "The Tower" could possibly have a view of uptown. The Westin, Arlington and Grandview (and room 418 of the Hilton Garden Inn), yes; uptown, no. The south-east view would be of the freeway, midtown, and the public housing project off Baxter. I wish them luck, but this is just strange.

Think about it this way guys. If you go to major cities that have a large amount of uptown living, many of the units there are in the heart of the cbd and only have views of apts, condos, or offices right across the street. It's only the super-high rises that give any view at all. The Vue probably won't even have a view of uptown in thirty years because more towers will pop up and it will become part of a denser city with direct neighbors across the street. Many of the units in 210 will only have a view of the country-side, yet people are still buying those units as well.

Archived