The Madison

UrbanCharlotte

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is true, I wonder how well they will sell. Most people like to buy condos with a view. The backside of a Garden Inn is not what most people dream of. Maybe if they designed the condos to face north and/or south it would be okay.

It makes sense for them to do it, though. They can get some height without the need to build parking, a foundation, or an elevator shaft. Perhaps that will put it at a lower price point.

They could offer some amenities like room service and housekeeping.

According to someone over at SSP, a condo project will be announced soon to take up the space between the Hampton and Hilton Garden Inn where the elevator shafts are....it'll be called Smith Curry Condos.

I guess we'll see....I would assume it will be horribly ugly....

I thought they were spending money to just complete the clock towers. Is this the space that the condo would occupy? If so, I agree it will be one ugly condo. I HATE both of those buildings and would almost be satisfied if they bulldozed them to the ground. (and I HATE parking lots, so this is saying a lot about my utmost disgust with these god awful bldgs)

A2

The clock tower would still be visible, so that is even more money they save if they build condos there. They would simply build the new building between the elevator shafts. They would just start putting up floors on top of the deck. No need for a crane, pile-driving, or extensive foundation pouring.

If speed to market is as big of a draw as it was at 230 S Tryon, then this could sell out quickly.

I found the building permit for this project....the permit was issued this past tuesday and calls for 8 stories of condos (on top of the 6-7 stories of existing parking) and 28 units (seems like a very low number of units).

It's odd how hush-hush this has been. Usually something is announced before the building permit is issued, but I guess like Dubone said, they want to be able to have units available in the near term once the start marketing them.

I found the building permit for this project....the permit was issued this past tuesday and calls for 8 stories of condos (on top of the 6-7 stories of existing parking) and 28 units (seems like a very low number of units).

It's odd how hush-hush this has been. Usually something is announced before the building permit is issued, but I guess like Dubone said, they want to be able to have units available in the near term once the start marketing them.

I wonder if it will be the same god awful color as the hotel towers? I swear that both hotels look like they belong in Miami, not CLT.

A2

Yes. Almost certainly they will use the same pinkish stucco (God help us). They just spent $700k stuccoing the outsides of the elevator shafts, so I'm sure those will stay exactly the same.

Maybe the small size (~4 condos/floor) means they will only be on the north side of the building. That would solve the view issues. In that scenario, the clock tower would remain freestanding.

It is interesting that they are already in the permitting phase. That means this project could be imminently under construction. It is definitely an also-ran, in the world of uptown condos, but they have a chance to be affordable, and also offer unique amenities.

• 2 weeks later...

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...8/tidbits1.html

There isn't any new information in the article, but it is the first press on the Smith Curry Condos that had permits requested last week.

It does say that developers could wait for up to 6 months before moving forward. We'll have to wait and see what happens next.

• 4 weeks later...

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...6/tidbits1.html (scroll down to November)

CBJ is saying that an official announcement on the Smith Curry Condos is imminent.

These will be good for helping keep Second Ward residential moving forward.

Hopefully we'll get an announcement that they will be next to a Nascar Hall of Fame . :)

• 3 months later...

Well, it looks like this is moving forward.....a source told me a couple of days ago that it was going to happen, and today there is a crane on site with construction fencing up.

Odd that they haven't tried to pre-sell these......they better be cheap.

Well, it looks like this is moving forward.....a source told me a couple of days ago that it was going to happen, and today there is a crane on site with construction fencing up.

Odd that they haven't tried to pre-sell these......they better be cheap.

do we know if the owner of the hotels is the same for the condo project? if so, could it be possible that they are going forward with condo plan with the contingency of adding hotel suites... if this thing doesn't sell? that probably doesn't make any sense... but neither does skipping pre-sales on THIS site.

is there a rendering? cause try as i might i can't begin to envision what this project would look like... it can't be good.

What's the view from the condos? The elevator shaft is on the side that would have a skyline view. Is this the condo project for voyers who want to see things that go on inside hotel rooms? God knows you'll be close enough to not use binoculars. Forget the internet when you've got a front row seat to the Hilton and Hampton inns!

Or maybe Panos's will break out with a glass and titanium ultra-mod inspired by shattered crystals.

But more likely just stucco and windows on a box.

sigh..... one could only wish :-( I wish we would stray away for the myrtle beach look, at least thats what I call it...

*calls gehry* *gets hung up on*

*calls El Corbusier* *gets hung up on, because he died in the 60s*

sighhhh....

They were laying steel today for the foundation of the tower. I still HATE this project. Oh well at least it is another project I get to watch + another magnificent crane dotting the ever changing Charlotte Skyline.

A2

:)

This project must be a state secret because I have tried calling Panos Hotel Group at two different numbers and both were disconnected, hope this project is tanking their hotel company. Also, what is up with 28 units, how big are these things going to be, not a very efficient use of air space.

Archived