The Madison

UrbanCharlotte

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the parking garage ugly precast concrete on both sides? This is just an odd looking project.
Yep. The precast will be covered by the new building, though.

Seeing as that the clock tower has no hands, am I alone in thinking this new addition to the Charlotte skyline will be <ahem> timeless? (Thank you, I'll be here all week...please tip your bartenders)

Well, having no clue what Dougie will write about it, I just have to say that I really hope it doesn't turn out to be condominiums. To me, there is a lot of validity to just adding more hotel rooms under the same banner and management as one of the existing hotel facilities. It seems to me that hotels, especially lower pricepoint rooms, will be in strong demand with NHOF across the street. With the other hotel in the area cutting its size in half, Adam's Mark, it seems that there should be plenty of room in the market for this project to be a hotel project.

Not to mention the question that has come up a bunch in this thread: who in their right mind would purchase a residence with no view between a Garden Inn and a Hampton Inn?

Well, having no clue what Dougie will write about it, I just have to say that I really hope it doesn't turn out to be condominiums. To me, there is a lot of validity to just adding more hotel rooms under the same banner and management as one of the existing hotel facilities. It seems to me that hotels, especially lower pricepoint rooms, will be in strong demand with NHOF across the street. With the other hotel in the area cutting its size in half, Adam's Mark, it seems that there should be plenty of room in the market for this project to be a hotel project.

Not to mention the question that has come up a bunch in this thread: who in their right mind would purchase a residence with no view between a Garden Inn and a Hampton Inn?

d, i think your right. no pre-sales and the growing demand for more hotel rooms... this has to be whats going on.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, no Next Big Info today on this, but I just thought I'd post a pic of the original concept.

panos1_2.jpg

Hmmm....what happened to all the windows on the ends of the hotels?

Anyway....as I was digging for that pic, I found a little info on the name Smith Curry.....apparantly Greg Panos's attorney is named Smithy Curry.......sorry, it's been a slow news day, so I thought I'd add a morsel. Feel free to print that tidbit Doug -_-

Well, no Next Big Info today on this, but I just thought I'd post a pic of the original concept.

panos1_2.jpg

Hmmm....what happened to all the windows on the ends of the hotels?

Anyway....as I was digging for that pic, I found a little info on the name Smith Curry.....apparantly Greg Panos's attorney is named Smithy Curry.......sorry, it's been a slow news day, so I thought I'd add a morsel. Feel free to print that tidbit Doug -_-

I still believe this belongs in Miami. I think the developer got the cities mixed up. ;)

A2

Well, already the reality is deviating from that drawing. They have added bowed out balconies in the steel for the new middle building. With balconies, I'm starting to wonder if they are sticking with the condo idea.

^Well that question's been answered. Can you believe this? Exclusively high-dollar "all penthouse" type condos between a Hampton and Hilton Garden?? WHAT kind of reefer were they smoking when they made that decision? I think they're gonna be in for a rude awakening.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/14606471.htm

I can already hear the dinner party conversation now:

"Oh, Sue.. how do you like your new penthouse over there at the Hampton? Does it have a great view?"

"You know, it really does. We face East, so you can't see the city at all, but we've got a spectacular view of Room... Oh, what is that room, Jack?"

"214."

"Yes, 214. And the eggs benedict are simply to DIE for!"

I hope for their sake there are 26 very stupid and very taste-and-value challenged condo buyers out there.

It will be interesting to see if the fact that they will be done and built within a year will help them. There are only 26 units, they will have hotel amenities, they will be only 3 blocks from the Wachovia campus, and they will be available. I kind of think it is possible these will sell out.

But I cannot fathom how someone would spend that kind of money to face that back of a cheap stucco hotel.

wow. $750,000 to $1.5 million for this. i really thought i read that wrong... man, i mean i have no connection what-so-ever with this project, but when i read that i felt insulted. hopefully these will have a hard time selling otherwise we're witnessing the "dumbing down" of our center city.

ok. a tad dramatic, but this with that price tag is bad.

Archived