What Metro county will reach the million mark 1st?

Newnan

Pick the county that u think will hit 1 milion first  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the county that u think will hit 1 milion first

• Gwinnett
    • Fulton
    • Dekalb
    • Cobb
    • Other

^ Yes they have - they actually went with Fulton County's estimate, in addition to practically every other municipality's estimate. I don't know when the website will reflect the modified estimates, but it makes you wonder what is going on with the Census Bureau, especially with their new American Survey program .

Wait.........

Are you saying that the Census bureau agrees with Fulton County that the Census' estimates were in fact incorrect based on how they compile information. I am surprised. What an about face. So that means that Fulton County will now show a nice increase of population as opposed to a decrease....which anyone living anywhere near Fulton County, GA already should know. That is if they follow development in earnest. It's not exploding like Gwinnett but from what I have seen in the three quadrants (northern, intown and southern), it has steady growth.

So close to 900,000 it will be. I can't wait till they update the site. Even though Gwinnett still may hit 1,000,000 first, Fulton still could be the silent horse that rides in an takes the title. I have said it all alone, watch out for Fulton. I will eagerly await the new numbers. I really can't wait till 2011 though.....that's when we will have the numbers from the 2010 count. Way more reliable.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Once south Fulton starts to develop at a quicker pace, the floodgates will be open down there, south Fulton could easily boost Fulton over 1 million.

http://www.co.fulton.ga.us/news_events/new..._T401_R677.html

The U. S. Census Bureau has agreed with Fulton County's challenge of the 2004 Census estimate. The Bureau has increased Fulton's population estimate from 814,438 residents to 905,082, which was the estimate submitted by the County.

^ Once south Fulton starts to develop at a quicker pace, the floodgates will be open down there, south Fulton could easily boost Fulton over 1 million.

http://www.co.fulton.ga.us/news_events/new..._T401_R677.html

The U. S. Census Bureau has agreed with Fulton County's challenge of the 2004 Census estimate. The Bureau has increased Fulton's population estimate from 814,438 residents to 905,082, which was the estimate submitted by the County.

Very interesting. So Fulton will be at....or rather is at 905,082? I guess if Fulton adds 10,000 a year then it would reach 1,000,000 in about 10 years. This will be too close to call. Thanks for the link Brad.

• 4 months later...

Well the new numbers are out and per the census, Fluton's 2005 population is........*drum roll*

Fulton County, GA 915,623

I guess they will soon update this number when they include 2005 numbers on their website.

Here is an article with the numbers for the 100 largest counties in the US.

New Census Numbers

So Fulton has to add 84,377 people to get to the 1 million mark. Gwinnett is currently at 726,273. That means it has to add 273,727 to reach the 1 million mark. It will be interesting to see who gets there first. I still think it will be Fulton. The school system is reporting that it will add 25,000 students in the next five years.

It appears that since 2002, Gwinnett has been adding at least 25,000 residents every year. Since 2000, Fulton's biggest leap has been about 30,000 residents which was in 2002. It will be really interesting to see how this pans out.

Oh well, gotta run, on my way to Doraville. I get to go to the aquarium tomorrow! :yahoo:

Just an interesting piece of info. If you were to combine Fulton, Dekalb and Gwinnett into one county, it would be 1,230 square miles and have 2,319,855 people. Miami Dade is 1,946 square miles and has 2,363,600 people in it. Just goes to show you how populous our counties would be if they were as big as other state's counties

Just an interesting piece of info. If you were to combine Fulton, Dekalb and Gwinnett into one county, it would be 1,230 square miles and have 2,319,855 people. Miami Dade is 1,946 square miles and has 2,363,600 people in it. Just goes to show you how populous our counties would be if they were as big as other state's counties

But likely only half or less than half of Dade is developable.

because of the everglades?

Mostly because of the Everglades and surounding swamplands.

Another good example of counties like Dade that are mostly eaten up by uninhabitable land is Dade's neighbor to the west, Monroe County. All of it's land on the mainland is covered in swampland. however, it also includes the Florida Keys, so that is where most of it's people live.

we have soooo many counties. I think only Texas has more. I do not think that is necessarly a bad thing though.

I voted Fulton. with the popularity of in town living on the climb, plus the current density that Gwinnett is building out at (which i dont think will change anytime soon) and how close Fulton already is to the million mark...they are really close.

we'll see in a few years anyway!

:thumbsup: Might as well add Tiny-ol Clayton County in there too. :thumbsup:

There was a cute little diagram in the AJC.....

This will go along with our race to 1,000,000

image_36998.gif

Fulton and Gwinnett had by far the highest number of building permits issued in January -- more than 700 -- for single-family houses. Next highest number among metro counties was Forsyth, with 383.

FULTON

Building permits for single-family houses: 777

GWINNETT

Building permits for single-family houses: 711

FORSYTH

Building permits for single-family houses: 383

COBB

Building permits for single-family houses: 348

DEKALB

Building permits for single-family houses: 290

PAULDING

Building permits for single-family houses: 285

HENRY

Building permits for single-family houses: 232

DOUGLAS

Building permits for single-family houses: 159

ROCKDALE

Building permits for single-family houses: 151

CHEROKEE

Building permits for single-family houses: 135

COWETA

Building permits for single-family houses: 120

CARROLL

Building permits for single-family houses: 118

CLAYTON

Building permits for single-family houses: 89

FAYETTE

Building permits for single-family houses: 88

BARTOW

Building permits for single-family houses: 60

HALL

Building permits for single-family houses:

Not reported

Source: Building Permits, U.S. Census Bureau

NOTE: Figures are for January 2006.

People live in houses, in order to build new homes developers need building permits. So it's safe to assume the number of building permits is relative to the demand for such county & will result in that number of people & more in living in that county. Particularly single family will likely mean at least 2 to 3 people per building permit.

• 1 month later...

There was a cute little diagram in the AJC.....

This will go along with our race to 1,000,000

image_36998.gif

Fulton and Gwinnett had by far the highest number of building permits issued in January -- more than 700 -- for single-family houses. Next highest number among metro counties was Forsyth, with 383.

FULTON

Building permits for single-family houses: 777

GWINNETT

Building permits for single-family houses: 711

FORSYTH

Building permits for single-family houses: 383

COBB

Building permits for single-family houses: 348

DEKALB

Building permits for single-family houses: 290

PAULDING

Building permits for single-family houses: 285

HENRY

Building permits for single-family houses: 232

DOUGLAS

Building permits for single-family houses: 159

ROCKDALE

Building permits for single-family houses: 151

CHEROKEE

Building permits for single-family houses: 135

COWETA

Building permits for single-family houses: 120

CARROLL

Building permits for single-family houses: 118

CLAYTON

Building permits for single-family houses: 89

FAYETTE

Building permits for single-family houses: 88

BARTOW

Building permits for single-family houses: 60

HALL

Building permits for single-family houses:

Not reported

Source: Building Permits, U.S. Census Bureau

NOTE: Figures are for January 2006.

To go along with the single family permits, Creative Loafing had an article on the gentrification of Atlanta which included the statistic that in 2004 86% of all multifamily permits metro-wide were in the city of Atlanta.

The Gentry Are Coming - Creative Loafing

• 3 weeks later...

From the Business Chronicle, the March numbers show that Fulton continues to match and even outpace Gwinnett in single family permits. Fulton - 913, Gwinnett - 849. With the city booming and getting the lions share of multi-family permits I think the likelihood of Gwinnett passing Fulton in population anytime soon is quickly fading.

• 2 months later...

From the Census website here is the permit data for the first six months of the year.

Housing permits January - June 2006

Fulton - 9,581

Gwinnett - 5,358

Cobb - 2,836

DeKalb - 2,788

As a side note Fulton's breakdown was 5,182 single family permits and 4,399 multi-family units while Gwinnett had 4,706 single-family permits and 652 multi-family units.

Archived