Biloxi and the Coast

tombarnes

No problem with the questions. I'm just not sure I will be able to answer them. I think the one you are talking about is under construction (a narrow 9 story building?). I am actually in Washington and only occasionally get down to Mississippi. By all means, don't worry about asking too many questions. I welcome your participation.

Well, that's the end of that particular design, but I think they will be back with a revised proposal. As for the design itself, I don't think it was especially attractive. A revised design may or may not be an improvement. While I can understand the ruling, I think a knee-jerk recation to any tall buildings on the Coast might not serve the rebuilding process well. Tall buildings will play a role in the redevelopment of the Coast, but developers should also take the built environment into account when they make proposals. As for this site, I do not think height would have been necessarily detrimental. I do think the building, as proposed, was an ungainly thing- especially with the artless glassy top. I would applaud well designed towers which managed to have some sort of architectural distinction. I don't think this proposal would meet approval from many on aesthetic grounds. Will its successor be better? Let's hope so.

Edited by tombarnes

I agree that a revamp of Edgewater Mall is long overdue. I suppose hoping for a Nordstrom is in vain. A Bass Pro store would likely do extremely well in this market. It's possible that the Braodwater development will include many new stores. I'm wondering why we have heard nothing about the Broadwater since last summer. Has anyone heard anything? Someone at the Biloxi planning and development office assured me that permits have been granted for a large-scale housing development on the former golf course. This will be individual houses, though I assume that the condominium tower will still go forward.

Edited by tombarnes

White House Hotel- Update

I sope with someone closely involved with the project today and was assured that the owners are moving forward with restoration plans. The pursuit of more investors is currently underway. Perhaps something will emerge within the next six months or so. As for the interior woodwork and windows, these are safely in storage. The White House won't be going anywhere except forward.

Edgewater Tower Compromise Under Development

A compromise which might reduce the Tower at Edgewater to 275 feet is in the works. It's also possible that Mike Boudreaux will announce that the project is not feasible at the lower height. This may well produce a chunkier building.

WLOX Channel 13 News

Height Ordinance Issue May Be Revisited by the City Council

Another proposal by Mike Boudreaux, Pelican Plantation, also significantly tops the height ordinance. The proposed Pelican Plantation would be built just west of the old Broadwater property. I'll try to dig up a rendering. The city really must address the height ordinance question quickly, as the restrictions are not helping the slow development of the Coast get back on track. Should there be restrictions? Absolutely, but they should be chosen carefully. Clusters of high-rise buildings intterspersed with low-rise buildings and green space might be the answer. An automatic "tall is bad" philosophy might do more harm than good. Great care must be taken to ensure that the best outcome is possible for the city and the region.

WLOX TV Channel 13 News- video included

Edited by tombarnes

I think they will begin construction immediately once they have received approval. Approvcal, at this point, is contingent upon the submission of a design which will please both the City Council and Mayor Holloway. I'll be interested to see what sort of "compromise" design emerges from this process.

Holloway Proposes Park Around Historic Lighthouse

Mayor Holloway has proposed that the city dhould beuild a park around the Biloxi lighthouse. This seems a good way to create a more attractive entryway to downtown Biloxi. The city has already acquired most of the property needed for the park. For once, these plans are in keeping with the guidelines established by the Governor's Commission for Rebuilding and Renewal.

The Sun Herald

Ohr Museum Will Rebuild Damaged Buildings on the Beachfront

The George Ohr Museum, designed by Frank Gehry, will rebuild on the beachfront, but only two buildings will be rebuilt initially. I don't much care for the idea of downsizing Gehry's vision, but the economic realities of the situation are impossible to ignore. The downsized campus has received Gehry's tacit blessing. I saw the damaged complex in November, or what was left of it after Katrina. I'd still like to see Gehry's complete vision realized.

The Sun Herald

NASA Clears Site for Construction of the Infinity Science Center

The NASA Infinity Science Center will be built near Interstate 10 and should be a fairly popular draw for tourists. I would have preferred a more central site, but I understand the reasoning for not building this downtown.

The Sun Herald

Edited by tombarnes