Biloxi and the Coast

tombarnes

Savannah Estates

Lushly wooded development on the North side of Biloxi Bay. 7 floors with Boat slips, boat launch and fishing pier, Boardwalk and walking trails

savannah-building.jpg

Well, I think thats all of them! For now at least. If I find any more major developments along the coast I'll be sure to post them. :thumbsup:

That's a very impressive list. Thanks for the info and renderings too. Looks like it will be hard to recognize the area once all the projects are complete. Where do I begin ? The Vue Crescent's angled forward toward the top is crazy, I'd like to see the view from one of those rooms. The Venezia Resort really stands-out architectually,esp. with the drive-way going under/thru the project. The rendering of the Villa's at Ocean Beach looks to be nearly 30-stories instead of the posted 16. Was that subject to change ? Also, I am suprised Waveland does not have a height restriction for that impressive 38-story condo with the skyways. This is all great news ! Keep up the great work yall !

Edited by richyb83

• 3 weeks later...

High-Rise Projects in Jackson County?

The possibility of many new high-rise developments in Jackson County may be cause for concern. While high-rise development could be balanced with other buildings to create a vibrant cityscape, I fear this won't happen. They must be extremely careful here.

The Sun Herald

Longfellow House in Pascagoula To Be Restored

The Longfellow House, once rumored (falsely) to have housed Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, in Pascagoula, has been sold by the University of Mississipi to a doctor and his wife who plan to live there after completing restoration work to the first floor. The top two floors were undamaged by Katrina.

The Sun Herald

longfel-1940.jpg

Postcard ca. 1940

Image from Pascagoula.net

Edited by tombarnes

Venezia Resort

Construction begins this spring for Venezia Resort, a five star luxury condominium with endless views of the beautiful Gulf of Mexico. Located on more than ten acres.

amenities2.jpg

biloxi-resort-condominiums.jpg

I missed this when it was posted, but wow!!

I really like the driveway with the walk above it, like the road goes right through the middle of the building. This entire project exudes elegance.

This could be one which breaks the box for Biloxi. I predict that much of the new development will be aimed at a higher-end market than what has previously been built on the Coast. There are many reasons against it, but I think that aiming for the high end is not necessarily a bad thing for the Coast.

This could be one which breaks the box for Biloxi. I predict that much of the new development will be aimed at a higher-end market than what has previously been built on the Coast. There are many reasons against it, but I think that aiming for the high end is not necessarily a bad thing for the Coast.

Of course, my biggest reason against building anything on the coast is the looming threat of devastating storms... but the coastal areas of our country are gorgeous and inviting (with the exception of the coast in much of south Louisiana.) It's time the Mississippi coast saw more high-end residential developments. And with such developments will naturally come more high-end shopping and dining.

I have been waiting to see whether or not the new development at the Broadwater will really include good shops and restaurants. Supposedly, it will. The Coast ought to have something better than Edgewater Mall for shopping. I think more malls (and better malls) are on the way, just perhaps not until the housing situation is more settled.

Long Beach Ponders Its Future

A referendum on gambiling is on the ballot in next week's election. On June 27th, voters will decide wjether or not to alllow land based gambing in Long Beach. So far, the city has been vehemently opposed to any form of gambling. The city's depleted coffers may dictate a different outcome. This may be a bellwether regarding the advent of gambling in other coastal towns.

The Sun Herald

Edited by tombarnes

• 2 weeks later...

Rebuilding Waveland

It appears as though most residents of Waveland don't want to see a future of high-rise condos on the beach. Architect Robert Orr of Connecticut is leading the charge to prevent this from happening. The design presentations will be made on Wednesday evening.

WLOX Channel 13- story and video

Citydweller---Is this you?

Mixed-Use High-Rise Project in Downtown Biloxi

Downtown Biloxi will get a big boost from City Place, a 200 unit mixed use project with two towers- one of 5 stories and one of 11 stories. I will try to find a rendering. This is just the sort of development Biloxi needs.

The Sun Herald

Edited by tombarnes

Mixed-Use High-Rise Project inDowntown Biloxi

Downtown Biloxi will get a big boost from City Place, a 200 unit mixed use project with two towers- one of 5 stories and one of 11 stories. I will try to find a rendering. This is just the sort of development Biloxi needs.

The Sun Herald

This is FANTASTIC! I always thought Biloxi had the better downtown out of Gulfport and Biloxi...but it seemed so underrated and undervalued...just small and nice. Can't wait to see if it happens!

The Church of the Redeemer

The Episcopal Church of the Redeemer was destroyed once by Hurricane Camille in 1969. The bell tower survived and the congregation simply restored the brick and board and batten parish hall( actually the earlier church from 1878..it was moved to the present site when the church was built in the 1890s). Sadly, Katrina reduced these hardy survivors to matchsticks. The congregation has decided that it will rebuild, but not on the beachfront. A site on Popps Ferry Road has been selected. The beachfront property will be retained by the chuch which intends to restore the (new) parish hall and erect a small chapel on the site of the bell tower. The site of the rectory (also decimated by Katrina) may be sold for commercial development, but the site of the church and the memorial to the victims of Camille will be left alone.

WLOX Channel 13

Edited by tombarnes

Rebuilding Waveland

It appears as though most residents of Waveland don't want to see a future of high-rise condos on the beach. Architect Robert Orr of Connecticut is leading the charge to prevent this from happening. The design presentations will be made on Wednesday evening.

WLOX Channel 13- story and video

Citydweller---Is this you?

No - I'm Bill Dennis (www.bdennis.com) the team leader from Bay St Louis - but I was helping Robert this past week. It went very well, and people are excited about moving foward. I hope to have a charrette for Bay St Louis in Septemeber.

Breezes of Paradise Bay

Waveland

38 floors, 1000 units on 6.8 acres including world-class golf course , a deep water marina, boutiques, restaurants, spa's,and white sandy beaches.

^That is quite a development for Waveland! Hope it comes to fruition.

And now for the real story....http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=5094899&nav=6DJI