Kendall and the Keeler Building

zenstyle

Dusting this thread off from conversations dealing with parking at Division and Library.

April 2005 had Azzar (owner) talking about a hotel.

Parking--could work in the adjacunt lot and service both that building, Kendall and Civic theater.

A two-story supermarket and lofts or studio space would be great here.

The worst part about Azzar's plan was he wanted to put a ramp at the corner of Fulton & Division (where Two West Fulton is planned). That would NOT have been a good solution for such a high-profile corner. I wonder why the lot by the Civic has never been looked at? Or if it has, what the hangups are?

I think a developer (hint, hint) should approach the city and Ellis Parking about building a ramp across from the Civic, and tie it into the Keeler Building. Definitely with ground-floor retail. Then maybe the city could sell the lot across the street to Ellis to make up for the revenue loss to Ellis, and then lease spots from Ellis. :dontknow:

Then, 12 - 15 parking spots in this new ramp could be bought by the Kendall building, if it ever gets redeveloped into residential.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you wondering, Keeler Building:

Sales Listing, $10,000,000

twoshort, thanks for the pic. Do you remember what the south side of the building (that faces the lot in question) looks like? Does it have windows?

If a ramp were built there the developer would lose the ability to put condos on that side, for at least the first couple of floors.

twoshort, thanks for the pic. Do you remember what the south side of the building (that faces the lot in question) looks like? Does it have windows?

Np.. I didn't take the pic though, and I can't picture it in my head.. i'd be willing to bet it has windows though.

I used to work in the building before it was compeltely vacated. Last I remember, the south side was clad over with grey prefinished metal siding. (vertical seams, typical warehouse stuff)

My guess is that the south side of the building used to be up against another building, and therefore would just be that yellow 'common' brick, not unlike the stuff you see in the picture on the north facing wall up above civic on the next building over.

the south side was clad over with grey prefinished metal siding.

Absolutely correct. There's nothing along that side of the building right now, just the grey siding. I imagine you're right about the common brick too.

I suppose an enterprising developer could install windows there, but if one were to build a ramp with street-front retail, it wouldn't make much sense. It would end up being like the West side offices in the Waters Building. Bogue.

That place does look nice enough that I don't think you would have to do anything to the facade, mostly interior work I would imagine, that and something to cover up the side facing Library, parking with ground floor retail would be the best though. Id like to see something like that go in, it would help just about everything in that area.

It's a great building. It just needs someone with vision and the ability to get it out of the clutches of Azzar (for much less than $10 Million). Seems like this would have been a much more natural fit for the Kendall dorms, but the Commerce building was probably not being held hostage. ;)

Joe

Absolutely correct. There's nothing along that side of the building right now, just the grey siding. I imagine you're right about the common brick too.

I suppose an enterprising developer could install windows there, but if one were to build a ramp with street-front retail, it wouldn't make much sense. It would end up being like the West side offices in the Waters Building. Bogue.

Perhaps non clear windows could make since here. Tall thin windows with an opaque glass which would allow light in but not allow you to see out. This could make any space feel more open/better lit, and not give you a horrible view of a parking ramp.

It's a great building. It just needs someone with vision and the ability to get it out of the clutches of Azzar (for much less than $10 Million). Seems like this would have been a much more natural fit for the Kendall dorms, but the Commerce building was probably not being held hostage. ;)

Joe

Its $50/foot at $10M. Depending on the building's condition I don't think thats totally unreasonable. It looks to be in decent shape from the exterior at least and I don

This is a bit off-topic but, the listing mentions the city steam as the heat source. Is it common for new buildings to hook into that or is it pretty much obsolete? What are the advantages and disadvantages to it?

I always thought you could tell a major city if it had steam coming out of the manhole covers on cold winter nights. :)

-nb

A parking lot to cover that up there, if done right would not be all that bad, If the Keeler went to mixed use retail/office/condos.

I'm not a huge advocate of parking ramps but one on that spot would be very effective. You'd make the Keeler Bldg viable again, you'd have parking for the Civic, Parking for the Fitzgerald, Parking for the Library, and more parking for Monroe Center.

Put some ground floor retail in it and it's a winner.

I'm not a huge advocate of parking ramps but one on that spot would be very effective. You'd make the Keeler Bldg viable again, you'd have parking for the Civic, Parking for the Fitzgerald, Parking for the Library, and more parking for Monroe Center.

Put some ground floor retail in it and it's a winner.

exactly, hell put in a lrt station there too, that way you can service the college.

• 9 months later...

$1,000,000 for 198,000 square feet? That is a steal. I'm trying to remember the price before. Seems like it was about $2,000,000. Although, without a parking structure next door and no on-street parking out front, you'd never get any tenants in there, so the building is pretty much worthless as it is. Partner with Ellis on the lot next door and it might be doable.

Down the street on Division, the building that houses the All City Kicks shop is listed at over $400,000 for 4000 sf. :wacko:

Archived