Providence Press

Cotuit

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who missed it, another projo reader responded to Ari's letter to the editor on Friday, December 2. The following are some excerpts from this letter.

"As a New Urbanist, Mr. Heckman would agree that fewer cars and more public transportation would be something to encourage, and the centrality of Kennedy Plaza achieves this. It is unfortunate that the Parks Department and the Business Improvement District cannot solve the jurisdictional issues regarding management of Burnside Park, but there is no reason that this space should not be returned to it's original purpose as a gathering place for civic and culteral events and repose."

"One thing that I agree with Mr. Heckman on is the idea of light rail or dedicated bus-ways. It is quite successful in St Louis, Seattle, Minneapolis, Los Angeles and other cities, and it's not too early to begin planning for it in Providence."

"If he feels his remarks may be taken as elitist, it may be that there is some truth to this. It is my feeling that the pioneering success of the conversion into lofts, apartments and condominiums that his company is developing, along with the number of new apartments and condominium towers in the Central Business District, speaks well of the future of providence."

With all the flagrant church-state abuses and personal liberty violations that the wacko-right is dreaming up on a daily basis, this is an issue, with all the RI political murkiness that appears to be involved, that the ACLU wants to waste its resources on?

Hmm, from my experience, it is the left that is trying to force their will, religion, values, and take away liberty via govt., not the right. These days it is the right that is way more liberal/libertarian than the left.

:rolleyes:

:rofl:

As someone who doesn't consider himself left or right, I do have this observation:

The left side tends to come off as much more arrogant than the right when it comes to those who don't have their view points. I find that instead of couterpointing or educating someone on their view, they do things like what you two have done: roll their eyes or laugh condescendingly. Perhaps this attitude is what is hurting your party these days as it doesn't seem to me to be very inviting.

/just sayin'

Hmm, from my experience, it is the left that is trying to force their will, religion, values, and take away liberty via govt., not the right. These days it is the right that is way more liberal/libertarian than the left.

:blink: You're kidding, right??

Are we living in the same country? To JJK5, I'd be happy to educate as follows regarding the right and arrogance and forcing their views on the nation...

- The right happens to control the Presidency and both houses of Congress...

- The wholesale ignoring of the global warming issue (and most environmental issues) by the right...

- Tons of corruption in government right now (from accused aides in the White House to the discraced CA congressman taking bribes to the Tom DeLay accused to funneling 200 million illegally to Republican candidates)...

- The "intelligent design" issue... Enough said...

- Historic levels of gerrymandering attempts to impart a permanent Republican majority, undermining the democratic process...

- The efforts to overturn abortion through Supreme Court nominees...

- The fact that, oh, dozens of American soldiers are dying monthly in Iraq in a war...

- Unheard of breakdowns between Church and State in everything from educational vouchers to looking the other way on employment discrimination...

- Some of the likely most egregious ignoring of human right abuses (with torture, secret prisons in Europe that the gov't has yet to deny exists, etc) in the history of the nation...

These are what I could think of in, oh, about 45 seconds off the top of my head... I leave further "education" to others... Good night and good luck...

- Garris

WTF??

I assume this is a joke?

The days of financially conservative small government repbulicans are long gone. These days its all about homophobia, misogyny, and "intelligent design" (Which near as I can tell translates to "We don't need no booklearnin") Good Times!

To JJK5, I'd be happy to educate as follows regarding the right and arrogance and forcing their views on the nation...

<snip>

These are what I could think of in, oh, about 45 seconds off the top of my head... I leave further "education" to others... Good night and good luck...

- Garris

I appreciate you taking the time to put that in writing and I certainly agree with you on some of those points as well as disagree on some. At the risk of sparking a political flamewar I'll attempt to highlight some of my feelings on the issues you raised.

-On the Republicans controlling the legislature: Each of those seats were won via an election, so while I can see how it could be disappointing for your party to be in the minority, you have to accept that this is how the population chose to vote.

-On an apparent disregard of the "Global Warming Problem": There's growing support for a number of alternative theories with respect to Global Warming and whether or not it is a byproduct of man's admittedly poor treatment of the planet. Some scientists cite Solar Variation and still others contest that there is insufficient information to prove a warming trend. I could continue on with still more theories, (slow emergence from past ice age, etc.) but I think you get the idea.

-On Supreme Court nominations: It's clear you do not want Roe v. Wade overturned by appointing more conservative judges. However, there's a case to be made that it was the judges that ruled over Roe v. Wade who were legislating from the bench and a reversal would be appropriate if the case came before the court again (if judges were to do their job, i.e. simply interpret the constitution as it was written).

That's a few points I had time to touch on. Most others I found myself in agreement with (ID, corruption, human rights abuses) or I hold a less cut and dry opinion on the issue and don't have time currently to write it concisely (Iraq war, educational vouchers).

Agree 100% with Garris et al.

On another topic I found a long article in the New Yorker on Providence, the Brown Family, Brown University, Ruth Simmons, and the slave trade.

I couldn't find it online but the article, "Peculiar Institutions," by Frances Fitzgerald, appeared in the New Yorker issue of Sept. 12, 2005, pages 68-77.

My eye rolling was my literal response to the post. Why someone would come from a different city to pick out one of the few political comments on this section, and make a comment on it, I don't know.

This isn't a political thread, if people want to continue the political discussion, I suggest they move it to the Coffee House.

• 1 month later...

http://www.projo.com/business/content/proj...bs.d77626f.html

Had NO CLUE that Cranston was Swarovski's North American Headquartes.... this article is a shame except for that fact that they plan to re-grow its U.S. business and hopeflly bring back 100 R.I. jobs in the future

In the 1970's, the company expanded to Providence, they later moved to Cranston.

I remember as a kid (8 years ago), my family mentioning how Providence was greatly known for it's jewelrey manufacturing.. about when did that die down? or did it?

Providence was the jewelry capital of America, if not the world; specifically costume jewerly. Hence the Jewelry District. When manufacturing moved overseas due to cheaper labor costs (mostly post-war), the jewelry industry was no exception. There is still a high concentration here, but nothing like it once was and even less so in the way of manufacturing.

Providence was the jewelry capital of America, if not the world; specifically costume jewerly. Hence the Jewelry District. When manufacturing moved overseas due to cheaper labor and construction costs (mostly post-war), the jewelry industry was no exception. There is still a high concentration here, but nothing like it once was and even less so in the way of manufacturing.

Definitely true. Of the traditional mainstays of RI manufacturing, jewelry is all that remains. Textiles and toolmaking are just about all gone.

If you want to see how much jewelry mfg there still is in RI, check the Yellow Pages under "Jewelry." Goes on for pages and rivals Personal Injury Attorneys in length.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/11/realesta...cean.html?8hpib

Demolition of the Ocean House Hotel in Westerly. :(

Quite sad, but it sounds as if the outcome will be better than most of these stories. And Centerbrook, the architect, is top-notch.

Unfortunate it couldn't be saved, but as long as there are no mcmansions, its a little victory.

Study: R.I. ranks 9th for support of emergency medical care

A study by the American College of Emergency Physicians ranked Rhode Island ninth in the country for its support of the state's emergency medical care system, according to the Rhode Island Department of Health.

The study, released in report card format yesterday, gave Rhode Island a B- when the nation's average score was C-, noted Dr. David R. Gifford, state health director.

has anyone noticed that R.I is only getting bad reviews to worse... every time theres a national poll in anything... R.I seems to lack behind... somewhat depressing -_-

That's not true! We did very well in the bad drivers survey! :blush:

has anyone noticed that R.I is only getting bad reviews to worse... every time theres a national poll in anything... R.I seems to lack behind... somewhat depressing -_-

Do not be depressed...

This emergency room report is great - lots of depressed folks in Florida.

A Men's Health survey rated Providence as THE BEST (#1) major city in terms of males avoiding "grease pit" resturants/food - look at the great culinary culture in PVD.

The Providence Fire Department is rated as one of the best big city agencies in the nation (aggessive fire attack).

Providence is considered one of the top 3 models for major city downtown urban revivial - Tampa is trying with considerable difficulty to mimick the riverwalk.

I guess I should save all my RI reports.

Archived