Providence Press

Cotuit

Too late! We've already seen this you superstar you! :P

That's an interesting series. I never saw much of the "Before," because although I grew up in the Boston area, I hardly ever got down this way -- I had sort of an interview at Brown in 1980 or so, with a colleague of my dad's who taught chemistry there -- but that's about the only time I can remember coming to Providence.

What a mess they had to undo. Man, whose idea was it to cover the river and run train tracks right through the middle of downtown? In urban-planning class, that's about the worst thing you could possibly do -- even an expressway would be better than train tracks.

Having moved here and just seeing the "After" without the "Before," I'd been thinking "How the h3ll is it this city escaped my attention all this time?," not having realized that, at least the city center, wasn't the same city until they fixed it! Not hard to see why other cities are trying to copy what they've done here....

Urb

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a mess they had to undo. Man, whose idea was it to cover the river and run train tracks right through the middle of downtown? In urban-planning class, that's about the worst thing you could possibly do -- even an expressway would be better than train tracks.

Urb

I'm sure the idea was from an industrial revolution standpoint and not an urban development standpoint. More accesability to train tracks equals better throughput from the factories and ultimately more food on the table.

The transformation always just amazes me though.

145738pr.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
can you fix your url which has the ) in it? :P

from that website..

"In addition to more than 40 parking lots and garages, downtown Providence has over 1,100 on-street parking spaces. The cost is $0.25/15min ($1/hr), and the meters are in effect from Monday-Saturday, 8am-6pm. Parking is FREE all other times. Most streets have meters, with the exceptions of Memorial Drive and Kennedy Plaza. Certain streets (Empire, Green, Claverick, Weybosset, Broadway) feature multi-space meters which require the display of a receipt on the dashboard. Instructions are posted on the meters. Many, though not all, of the multi-space meters accept Visa and Mastercard."

i want to know what multi space meters take credit cards... and why don't they just change saturdays to free since no one tickets then anyways?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Providence makes Distinctive Destinations list

Providence made a list of 12 distinctive destinations issued today by National Trust for Historic Preservation.

The group, based in Washington, D.C., said Providence "has a colorful four-century history proudly and prominently displayed in landmark structures."

Chatham, Mass., is the only other New England location on this year's list.

• 1 month later...

Providence was recently included in an MSNBC article for the top-10 most underrated cities. Providence came in 9th behind PIttsburgh and Portland but ahead of Sacramento :)!

"9. Providence

The "Renaissance City," of Providence, Rhode Island's capital, has indeed been reborn in the last decade, as residents have reclaimed derelict buildings and two of the city's three rivers, created waterside walkways, and welcomed brand-name shopping. Today, visitors can take a gondola ride through downtown or, on Saturdays between May and September, enjoy the light of 100 bonfires along Providence's three rivers as part the WaterFires events

We're by far the smallest city on that list. :)

Edit: OK I admit, I forgot about Ft. Lauderdale. Of course, on the other hand, Fort Lauderdale is more of a suburb of Miami, whereas all the other places on the list are freestanding cities in their own right. Still, for the most part, the point stands: we're small, but packing a big punch.

Be nice if we could offer tax-free shopping like a couple of those other cities do.

Archived