Hartford-Springfield

No one, and I mean no one used radio as a way to look at markets.  That's about as valid as using a cluster of Denny's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But what makes a metro area one metro area, other than the census definition? A few things pop into my mind:

Transportation connectivity

- Highways, subways or commuter rail (but not long range trains or planes that get you anywhere)

-Who uses which airport

Commuting paterns

-Do people from your neighborhood work in downtown _____? Then you are likely living in the ____ metro area.

Media

-What newspaper, local TV and radio stations to people look to?

These are just one person's opinion. Surely residents of the region have better ideas of what links and distinguishes the two metros.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the olden days it used to be area of dominant influence ADI.

I would think that the Nielsen TV ratings make sense because of local news. New Haven and Hartford newscasts both show the Hartford and New Haven skylines in their openings.

Another good way would be to track newspaper sales. Where the Register is the dominant newspaper could define the New Haven Market. Interestingly, I was in Old Saybrook on the CT coast last weekend and the Hartford Courant dominates the newsstands.

In the olden days it used to be area of dominant influence ADI. 

I would think that the Nielsen TV ratings make sense because of local news.  New Haven and Hartford newscasts both show the Hartford and New Haven skylines in their openings.

Another good way would be to track newspaper sales.  Where the Register is the dominant newspaper could define the New Haven Market.  Interestingly, I was in Old Saybrook on the CT coast last weekend and the Hartford Courant dominates the newsstands.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Courant is not the greatest, but the Register is a piece of crap. Look at their website, it sucks. The Register goes out of their way not to talk about Hartford at all. Almost like they don't want to be sucked into our sphere, whereas the Courant covers the entire state trying assert it's dominance. These are just my opinions on the 2 largest newspapers in the state. The Courant is a far superior paper in my opinion and has multiple shoreline editions that come out daily. The Register is regional paper with no readership whatsoever beyond New Haven County.

• 1 month later...

They are a single Nielsen market, ranked 28th in the country with 1.01 million households. This works out about 2.8 million people which includes a few Mass. border towns, and all of CT except for Fairfield Cty.

However, given that there is a lot of overlap, there has been some controversy with how to account for Fairfield Cty viewers who all get CT stations, but are only counted as part of the NY market. Moreover, much of the media market outside Fairfield gets NY stations, which aren't accounted for in the TV ratings.

Radio is done a little differently, and some NY AM stations like WFAN and WCBS are often near the top in CT ratings.

The census MSAs get even more confusing, with New Haven-Meriden included in the NY CMSA, and Hartford-New Britain standing on its own.

As someone who grew up in New Haven, I'd say the region doesn't function like a metro area elsewhere because each city's influence just bleeds into the next's without clear points of demarcation. There is also no one major center of importance, because New Haven, Hartford, Bridgeport, and Stamford are all roughly the same size.

They are a single Nielsen market, ranked 28th in the country with 1.01 million households. This works out about 2.8 million people which includes a few Mass. border towns, and all of CT except for Fairfield Cty.

However, given that there is a lot of overlap, there has been some controversy with how to account for Fairfield Cty viewers who all get CT stations, but are only counted as part of the NY market. Moreover, much of the media market outside Fairfield gets NY stations, which aren't accounted for in the TV ratings.

Radio is done a little differently, and some NY AM stations like WFAN and WCBS are often near the top in CT ratings.

The census MSAs get even more confusing, with New Haven-Meriden included in the NY CMSA, and Hartford-New Britain standing on its own.

As someone who grew up in New Haven, I'd say the region doesn't function like a metro area elsewhere because each city's influence just bleeds into the next's without clear points of demarcation. There is also no one major center of importance, because New Haven, Hartford, Bridgeport, and Stamford are all roughly the same size.

You're wrong, Springfield is not included in the Hartford/New Haven Nielsen market, Springfield/Holyoke is #108. And how Meriden/New Haven is in the New York CMSA I'll never know. Literally tonight, I drove from Hartford to Meriden in about 15 minutes, how that is included with New York which is almost 2 hours? You got me...

Literally tonight, I drove from Hartford to Meriden in about 15 minutes, how that is included with New York which is almost 2 hours? You got me...

Interesting about Spfld, especially with ch3 having (or maybe it's used to have) New Haven/Hartford/Springfield on their logo. Only screws things up even more.

Govt defined CMSAs are typically larger than reality due to Federal funding formulas based on pop. counts. These things tend to go way beyond the last commutable subdivision. Here in the DC area, our CMSA goes three counties into West Virginia and 60 miles SW to Culpeper. I can only imagine what would happen if you told one of the citizens of these faraway places he was a Washingtonian. Similarly, towns on the edge of the NY CMSA like Meriden and Madison are filled with people more likely to be Sox fans than Yankee fans. This is why media mkts are usually a better measure, but as we've seen here, they too break down when there's too much overlap.

• 3 months later...

$6.2 Billion Plan Offered To Improve State Travel

Amann Proposal Includes Roads, Railways, Airports

February 8, 2006

By CHRISTOPHER KEATING, Capitol Bureau Chief

Not one peep about extending I-384 past Bolton - it should go at least to I-395, preferably all the way to Providence. I think this is a big barrier to Hartford area development.

$6.2 Billion Plan Offered To Improve State Travel

Amann Proposal Includes Roads, Railways, Airports

February 8, 2006

By CHRISTOPHER KEATING, Capitol Bureau Chief

Not one peep about extending I-384 past Bolton - it should go at least to I-395, preferably all the way to Providence. I think this is a big barrier to Hartford area development.

Eastern Connecticut has always suffered from this. It blows my mind that nothing is being done, Route 6 is one of the worst roads in America. Do more and more people have to die and get injured in order to justify saving a few insect species?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Interesting Article, talking about a topic that we have addressed many times on this board. If our two regions cooperate there really is no limit to what might be accomplished.

Hartford-Springfield potential powerhouse

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Quick. Name the metropolitan region in the United States that has a population of 1.8 million, more than 45,000 companies, a labor force of 1.1 million people, 32 colleges and universities and more than 120,000 students.

No, it's not Boston or New York. It's closer to home than you think.

If Hartford-Springfield didn't pop up on your radar screen, you're not thinking outside the box. Fortunately, leaders from both states are thinking beyond the borders of state lines and state politics to position themselves to take advantage of the opportunities unfolding in the global marketplace. The future belongs to regions that see market and development opportunities beyond some artificial barrier like the line that separates the Bay State from the Nutmeg State.

In 1999, Michael Gallis, who is regarded as an expert in large-scale metropolitan regional development strategies, identified the I-91 corridor between Hartford and Springfield as a major economic region, with businesses drawing customers and employees from both sides of the state line.

Partly as a result of a study by Gallis, business leaders from Springfield and Hartford decided to form a partnership that reflects the synergy between the two economies.

Springfield Republican Article

Interesting Article, talking about a topic that we have addressed many times on this board. If our two regions cooperate there really is no limit to what might be accomplished.

Hartford-Springfield potential powerhouse

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Quick. Name the metropolitan region in the United States that has a population of 1.8 million, more than 45,000 companies, a labor force of 1.1 million people, 32 colleges and universities and more than 120,000 students.

No, it's not Boston or New York. It's closer to home than you think.

If Hartford-Springfield didn't pop up on your radar screen, you're not thinking outside the box. Fortunately, leaders from both states are thinking beyond the borders of state lines and state politics to position themselves to take advantage of the opportunities unfolding in the global marketplace. The future belongs to regions that see market and development opportunities beyond some artificial barrier like the line that separates the Bay State from the Nutmeg State.

In 1999, Michael Gallis, who is regarded as an expert in large-scale metropolitan regional development strategies, identified the I-91 corridor between Hartford and Springfield as a major economic region, with businesses drawing customers and employees from both sides of the state line.

Partly as a result of a study by Gallis, business leaders from Springfield and Hartford decided to form a partnership that reflects the synergy between the two economies.

Springfield Republican Article

Good article.

Doesnt the metropolitan area have more than 1.8 million people tho?

One problem is that Springfield has no juice in the Mass legislature and the ciity is practically in bancruptcy.

Lets do it ourselves. We seem to be more motivated than anyone else about these issues.

Lets start our own militia, and take springfield metro into CT! START A REVOLT! :w00t:

Archived