Charlotte sucks!

Newnan

Sorry, that was just to get your attention; I actually really like Charlotte. I'd really like to hear your opinion on Atlanta and what you think of it. Do you think there's a bitter competition between out two cities or do you think we build off eachother. Just post your opinion on your neighbor the the south. Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that they have the world of coca cola and theyre getting an aquarium. I also think of Atlanta has having many mistakes which led to sprawl. I would personally want to live in Charlotte any day after I visted Atlanta. Maybe if I was their longer it'd seem nicer. Also if they land the HofF that would suuuuuuck.

.... Do you think there's a bitter competition between out two cities or do you think wJust post your opinion on your neighbor the the south. Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it wasn't for this forum, I don't think I would ever hear anything about Atlanta. It has zero influence in Charlotte as far as I can tell, and I never hear anyone in CLT ever mention ATL. In my case I have not been to ATL since 95 or 97 (don't really remember) as I prefer to go to DC if I am looking for something larger than Charlotte nearby.

If it wasn't for this forum, I don't think I would ever hear anything about Atlanta.  It has zero influence in Charlotte as far as I can tell, and I never hear anyone in CLT ever mention ATL.  In my case I have not been to ATL since 95 or 97 (don't really remember) as I prefer to go to DC if I am looking for something larger than Charlotte nearby.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess it depends on who one associates with and one's perspective. When discussing Charlotte's growth and its future with my co-workers, Atlanta almost always comes up in the discussion. Also, the vast majority of people I know in the area go to Atlanta for their "big city" experiences.

If it wasn't for this forum, I don't think I would ever hear anything about Atlanta.  It has zero influence in Charlotte as far as I can tell, and I never hear anyone in CLT ever mention ATL.  In my case I have not been to ATL since 95 or 97 (don't really remember) as I prefer to go to DC if I am looking for something larger than Charlotte nearby.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Regarding the opinion that people in CLT ever mentioning ATL, you wouldn't think that by reviewing the Charlotte sub-forums... ;)

But that is good to hear nonetheless, I remember the 'next ATL' hype in the 80's when growing up in RH & afterward when keeping up with the Charlotte Observer until I was no longer interested in keeping up with CLT.

Otherwise on the other side - though not many know anything about Charlotte, there is still a good amount of people that like Charlotte & have favorable opinions about it.

But I guess I understand your biased views that Atlanta is a ghost town, Atlanta is a little different than it was back then.... (not that I think you should come to visit :))

I'm a native Charlottean (born and bred) and I have to say that Charlotte is very disappointing. I do think downtown looks impressive from the highway and all but I just think it has lost its soul. As a matter of fact, everyone I know that visits (from outside the area) says the same thing. Big buildings and no culture. I'm sorry to be so negative but as a true native I feel I have a right to vent. I remember when the 4808 Club, the Park Elevator, and Pterodactyl Club were all downtown or close to downtown (all great music clubs). What the hell happened? I have to say gentrification sucks.

I'm a native Charlottean (born and bred) and I have to say that Charlotte is very disappointing. I do think downtown looks impressive from the highway and all but I just think it has lost its soul. As a matter of fact, everyone I know that visits (from outside the area) says the same thing. Big buildings and no culture. I'm sorry to be so negative but as a true native I feel I have a right to vent. I remember when the 4808 Club, the Park Elevator, and Pterodactyl Club were all downtown or close to downtown (all great music clubs). What the hell happened? I have to say gentrification sucks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry guys, first time posting! I adore ATL - my best friend went to College there- but it is SO spread out! Their downtown/uptown is so divided. I hope thay Charlotte's loyalty to their wards doesn't make it like atlanta. Loving that you remember the Pterodactyl though!

Sorry guys, first time posting! I adore ATL - my best friend went to College there- but it is SO spread out! Their downtown/uptown is so divided. I hope thay Charlotte's loyalty to their wards doesn't make it like atlanta. Loving that you remember the Pterodactyl though!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the comments carmileigh. The one time that I do generally hear Atlanta mentioned is usually something among the lines of, "Well we don't want to become anohther Atlanta.....".

^ But then that is heard across the southeast as well - actually, I think even in Atlanta we sometimes say "we hope Atlanta doesn't become another Atlanta" :)

But nationally you also hear "we hope we don't turn into LA" & in Greenville & Columbia you hear "we hope we don't turn into Charlotte" ;)

It's all a big relative b-j, everyone wants growth but no one wants any of the repurcussions of it. Everyone wants smart growth, but no one wants high taxes, lack of local land use control, & high housing prices (Portland OR).

But Charlotte isn't going to be an Atlanta just as Atlanta isn't going to be an LA & Greenville won't be a Charlotte - none of these cities are particularly bad, but no city has copyrighted any specific development pattern.

I used to live in Greenville. I can't say that I ever heard Charlotte mentioned in the manner you suggest. I did hear many times in Greenville however that they did not want to be like Atlanta.

I also don't think that I have heard that Atlanta is in danger of becoming a 20 million person metro like LA, but I guess they can dream.

I used to live in Greenville.  I can't say that I ever heard Charlotte mentioned in the manner you suggest.  I did hear many times in Greenville however that they did not want to be like Atlanta. 

I also don't think that I have heard that Atlanta is in danger of becoming a 20 million person metro like LA, but I guess they can dream.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Metroboy, do you ever lighten up? Just wondering... :)

I have family in Spartanburg, obviously Atlanta has been a dirty word for decades. Charlotte is just the new dirty word for sprawl in the smaller cities of SC (as I recall in Rock Hill), just as LA was the dirty word for sprawl before Atlanta.

Speaking of which - LA is one of the most densest popolous cities in the US.

Anyways, I'm ok, Charlotte is ok, Atlanta is ok, & you're ok. ;)

I used to live in Greenville.  I can't say that I ever heard Charlotte mentioned in the manner you suggest.  I did hear many times in Greenville however that they did not want to be like Atlanta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In the thread in the SC forum "Models for growth," it was mentioned that Greenville would not like to follow in Charlotte's footsteps as far as the lack of preservation of historical structures is concerned. I think that's about the most you'll hear about any SC city saying that it doesn't want to become "another Charlotte."

^ Then I stand corrected... ;)

(though my family in Spartanburg doesn't feel that warmly about Charlotte themselves - but what do they know, they are all full of Beacon fat ;))

But I could pull an editorial from Greenville's newspaper in which it addressed Atlanta as well as Charlotte as problematic signs of sprawl. Yet acknowledging that Greenville itself has the same problem.

In all honesty though - I don't care so I'm perfectly willing to drop it. I think I just like giving metroboy a hard time :)

(though my family in Spartanburg doesn't feel that warmly about Charlotte themselves - but what do they know, they are all full of Beacon fat ;))...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Love the Beacon! No place quite like it!

...In all honesty though - I don't care so I'm perfectly willing to drop it.  I think I just like giving metroboy a hard time :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my hero ;)

Archived