CONSTRUCTION THREAD: The Brio

gs3

Just be prepared to pay top dollar.

To be frank, most people think any area that has substandard housing is completely full of people that are going to rob them. I don't doubt that there are some hot spots in the area crime-wise, but most of the residents are law abiding citizens. That goes for most areas not just this corridor.

When I lived in Columbia, I bought in a transitional area that other people thought I was crazy to move to. Needless to say, the claims were exaggerated. Policemen often are the most alarmists in this regard.

I not only made a excellent return when I sold, I learned just how true my above statement was. Once homeowners start moving in, they get a handle on the crime because they are invested in the area.

Well put, I agree with your statement about people investing in the area and cleaning it up. Im just real skeptical about shady looking places. Heres hoping that bulldozers will be moving into the area sooner than later.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well put, I agree with your statement about people investing in the area and cleaning it up. Im just real skeptical about shady looking places. Heres hoping that bulldozers will be moving into the area sooner than later.

The problem is that thriving cities need economically diverse housing. Undoubtedly, there are plans in place to do major renovations to the whole area. I only hope that affordable housing is part of the plan... something that's been lacking from most ciy projects up to this point.

The problem is that thriving cities need economically diverse housing. Undoubtedly, there are plans in place to do major renovations to the whole area. I only hope that affordable housing is part of the plan... something that's been lacking from most ciy projects up to this point.

Amen!

One of the marketing points made when they were marketing the auction of this property was that C. Dan Joyner and David Stone owned most of the homes in the area and that eventually they would propbubly all be torn down for new development.

Just be prepared to pay top dollar.

To be frank, most people think any area that has substandard housing is completely full of people that are going to rob them. I don't doubt that there are some hot spots in the area crime-wise, but most of the residents are law abiding citizens. That goes for most areas not just this corridor.

When I lived in Columbia, I bought in a transitional area that other people thought I was crazy to move to. Needless to say, the claims were exaggerated. Policemen often are the most alarmists in this regard.

I not only made a excellent return when I sold, I learned just how true my above statement was. Once homeowners start moving in, they get a handle on the crime because they are invested in the area.

An officer who patrols this neighborhood regularly told me that over 90% of the residents here are "crack heads." Affordable housing or not, these kind of people need to be corrected and start contributing to society in a positive way. This community is an absolute eyesore that the City must replace if it is to attract businesses to that part of town. :)

An officer who patrols this neighborhood regularly told me that over 90% of the residents here are "crack heads." Affordable housing or not, these kind of people need to be corrected and start contributing to sosiety in a positive way. This community is an absolute eyesore that the City must replace if it is to attract businesses to that part of town. :)

While there may be some truth to that, the more we replace low-cost residences with high dollar ones, the more we contribute to sprawl. Alot of people complain about Greenville's sprawl, but there's room for things to get alot worse.

An officer who patrols this neighborhood regularly told me that over 90% of the residents here are "crack heads." Affordable housing or not, these kind of people need to be corrected and start contributing to sosiety in a positive way. This community is an absolute eyesore that the City must replace if it is to attract businesses to that part of town. :)

I don't believe that for one minute. These officers deal with such folks everyday, and they get jaded. They don't realize that there are decent folks that they don't deal with, that live right next to the problem houses.

Just three blocks from this project are some of the most expensive neighborhoods in all of Greenville. They seem to co-exist within close proximity to these people.

My statement was not in opposition to affordable housing or the people who dwell there.

Read carefully:

1. People who deal or abuse drugs need correction so they can positively contribute to our society.

2. Affordable housing does not have to be so substandard and pitiful. A city has an obligation to maintain standards for its own good and that of its citizens. If people won't apply themselves to earn an income and keep their home from falling apart, then they don't deserve any help from the government. This city is full of opportunity and everyone must take enough responsility to work on making things better.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What do the other phases actually consist of?

Two buildings will be built. Each will be 3 stories as planned. One will be built up to the street on Church the other will be on the cross street (Pearl). Retail/restaurants on ground level. Apartments and/or condos on the top levels. A fountain is planned between the buildings at the intersection.

Of course, as with any project, seeing is believing. But they already own the land, so the profit potential is pretty good for the developer.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's the progress as of today:

100_2262.jpg

The balconies look really nice, and it doesn't look like there's all that much left to be done.

Here's a look back. While this wasn't from the begining of construction (they aren't here anymore), it takes you back and gives you a little bit of a glimpse of the old Ramada Inn:

BRIO1.jpg

Was posted on page 2

Archived