Development Map

nickmgray

I know that this might seem a bit off topic from most posts in here, but I've got an idea that I just had to throw out there.

I'm not sure how familiar any of you are with google maps, but their new map web site allows you to use their maps to create your own. You are able to add locations, information and a lot of other cool stuff depending on how well you know the script.

I think it would be a great tool to have a google map mod created for all the ongoing development projects across the country. You would be able to use the map interface to search the city or address you want and then click on the project icions on the map which would give you basic info about the development (building height, construction status, anything like that) maybe a concept picture and then a link to the main development thread in the urbanplanet forum where people wouild have access to more detailed information.

I'm sure there's a web developer in this forum that might want to take on this great project, but let me know what everyone thinks about it.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be an insanely large project to undertake.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sounds like it is, but in reality, it's easier than you might think.

I'm working for a college web development business, and we're doing a very similar project for a client right now, and as long as you have a database and php, (which this server must have, seeing it uses Invision Board), it can definately be done.

Google provides all the software necessary to make a map, all that needs to be done is to, first, implement it, and then get some javascript and php in to plot the points on the map.

Now, there is one sticky point: Google Maps currently doesn't support geocoding or routing (enter an address, and get a point), so you'd have to either click the point manually or get an third-party geocoder to do it for you.

I would undertake such a thing myself, but I'm simply way too busy working as a student and at college to do it. I'm quite sure if a competent web programmer is willing to invest some time doing this, it can be done.

But all of the developments in the country? That kind of database doesn't even exist- much less in any sort of aggregate form. You'd have to contact every city, county, and other governmental entity (COGs for rural areas, etc) in the nation to complile it. The map is the easy part. Geocoding is trivial compared to compliling that particular database.

But all of the developments in the country? That kind of database doesn't even exist- much less in any sort of aggregate form. You'd have to contact every city, county, and other governmental entity (COGs for rural areas, etc) in the nation to complile it. The map is the easy part. Geocoding is trivial compared to compliling that particular database.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, heh. I didn't notice that part. I assumed he was talking about just high rise projects that are being proposed and under construction for cities represented here. Each regional mod would be responsible for their respective city or region.

I know that this might seem a bit off topic from most posts in here, but I've got an idea that I just had to throw out there.

I'm not sure how familiar any of you are with google maps, but their new map web site allows you to use their maps to create your own.

Spartan said it - a national inventory of permit data would be a beotch to manage.

But certainly it would be interesting for seperate development projects for each region to be managed individually.

I did make some maps of projects in Atlanta but I admit I was too lazy to mantain them:

atlanta_projects_Midtown.jpg

Spartan said it - a national inventory of permit data would be a beotch to manage. 

But certainly it would be interesting for seperate development projects for each region to be managed individually.

I did make some maps of projects in Atlanta but I admit I was too lazy to mantain them:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. Regional or atleast city based maps would be very possible- particularly for our more frequented subforums where the management effort can be divided up some.

Archived