Pelham | Village at Pelham

GSP Tiger

From The Greenville (SC) News 03-Sep-2005:

Spartanburg Regional Healthcare is looking to develop 22.8 acres for a commercial center, Village at Pelham, at SC 14 and Westmoreland Roads. Plans call for a 40,000-square feet fitness center, a 42,000-square-feet superrmarket/pharmacy, a 15,000-square-feet bookstore, a 5,000 square-feet business, and 21 10,000-square-feet businesses. A bank is mentioned for an outparcel.

Bi-Lo is highly considering one or two stores along SC 14 from Pelham into Greer. Most of their midsized stores are around 42,000-square-feet.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the site plan for this about 2 months ago. It is going to be a nice addition to that side of town.

I think the article had an error though, I think that should read 21 1,000 sf stores, that would make much more sense. There is just no way that they intend on building 21 10,000 sf units. How would you find 21 buisnesses looking units that size.

Also, I have no idea who the Grocery Store will be. Publix has been looking for a Greer location for a longtime (I know Thornblade has a Greer adress) and there has been rumors going around again that they are coming.

Also while there is a good chance that it could be Bilo. Bilo already owns land on HWY 14 on the norht side of the interstate next to the Greer Memorial Hospital Campus. But then, I could see a Bilo at both of these locations.

I have also heard the Publix in Greer rumor going around. Word has it they want to be located along West Wade Hampton Boulevard somewhere not far from Allen Bennett. I would imagine the old elementary school at US 29 and Tryon Street would be a possible location. Another location is the former Winn Dixie Marketplace store in Greer Plaza, already in move in condition. That shopping center could use a complete overhead with their road signage and storefront canopy.

Bi-Lo usually locates their stores three miles apart from each other. Noticing the growth along SC 14, I second that the possibility of two new stores. The proposed one near the new Greer Medical Campus should begin construction within the next year.

• 2 weeks later...

The 16-Sep-2005 issue of the Greenville Journal (Vol. 7 #38) has a full page advertisement for the Village at Pelham. Besides medical services, notable interests call for a gourmet grocer, a pharmacy, a bookstore, a retail shops, and a bank. A website has been created: http://www.villageatpelham.com.

What interests me is a gourmet grocer and a pharmacy. I think the proposed 42,000 square feet supermarket answers for both in one space. The only possibilities I can think of are Publix, a high scale supermarket, and Super Bi-Lo, Bi-Lo's gourmet supermarket format.

The 16-Sep-2005 issue of the Greenville Journal (Vol. 7 #38) has a full page advertisement for the Village at Pelham.  Besides medical services, notable interests call for a gourmet grocer, a pharmacy, a bookstore, a retail shops, and a bank.  A website has been created:  http://www.villageatpelham.com.

What interests me is a gourmet grocer and a pharmacy.  I think the proposed 42,000 square feet supermarket answers for both in one space.  The only possibilities I can think of are Publix, a high scale supermarket, and Super Bi-Lo, Bi-Lo's gourmet supermarket format.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a Fresh Market, we know they want another one in the market and thier two choices on Woodruff fell through, and HWY 14 would still be able to reach much of the customers that they would have reached on Woodruff Rd.

I would like to see another Fresh Market. I do not see them coming to the area. First, I doubt The Fresh Market builds large stores. Their current North Hills store is about the average size, maybe slightly larger. I do not recall any of their stores having a pharmacy yet. Second, The Fresh Market likes to build stores in nicer higher income communities. If you driven through Pelham, you will notice the community center is lower income. Sever middle income communities are going up along Westmoreland and Abner Creek Roads. Third, this area needs more a regular food & pharmacy supermarket than a specialty grocer.

ya but there are some upscale nieghborhoods off 14 on the other side of Batesville Rd./ Pelham Rd. and it is not like the one on East North Street is surrounded by upscale neighborhoods, becuase it is not.

Plus the whole idea of the shopping center is for it to be a Retail & WELLNESS center.

• 3 months later...

From The Greer Citizen (SC) 2006.01.11 issue:

With little protest Greer City Council voted in favor of closing the section of Westmoreland Road for the Village at Pelham retail complex.

A map of the retail center can be found in the new issue. A traffic signal will be installed at SC-14 and Westmoreland Road which will serve as the main entrance for the retail complex. A freestanding drugstore will be located on the northwest corner. The supermarket will be located on the south end.

• 3 weeks later...

Spartanburg hospital wants to reconfigure Pelham roads

The Greenville News (SC)

2006/1/31

Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System is looking to build a "bypass" route northeastward around their Village at Pelham campus.

I do not know if this new route is actually necessary. Improving the existing roads would be helpful. I think SRHS would like to keep their campus connected together.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Article: Spartanburg Regional reveals road, development plans for Pelham

The Greenville News (SC)

2006/5/28

The article informs of a hotel and a bookstore targeted to come to the development. No specific ones are mentioned.

There's an idea to relocated Westmoreland Road to the north as Westmoreland Boulevard, a three lane road that would detour traffic around the medical campus. The road will be built with five lane right of way.

Funny to see both GHS and Spartanburg Regional going head to head in this area of Greenville. Both should be several years worth of construction to follow. Do either GHS or Spartanburg Regional have detailed renderings of the projects?

I have posted in the GHS Greer consturction thread images of the GHS project, I have seen ore detailed drawings, but I do not have copies to put on the internet.

As for Village at Pelham, Check out the Pazdan Smith Group website they have a site plan and a rendering of the new Village. The site plan though is not up to date, it does not show the changes intended for Westmorland Rd. on the South side of HWY 14.

Archived