Stepping Through History

gs3

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've had a lot of cool history related events lately. Last fall they had Springwood Cemetery Tours/ ghost tours or something. I missed out though, and I think i'm going to miss this one... :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds fun! Took a cemetery ghost tour in Charleston last year and had a blast. Where is Springwood Cemetary? Is that the large one downtown?

That's rather expensive, $60 for two people.  Where do the proceeds go?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont know, but I'm assuming they go to the history museum... That's where the procedes went from the cemetary tours. It's looks to be along the same lines and what not, so that's my guess

From what I've heard, all proceeds go to the History Museum of Upcountry SC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahhh. To see someone using the proper term "upcountry" (even if it is part of a title).

I'm not sure when "upstate" came in vogue, but as far as I'm concerned, the "upstate" is north of New York City.

Ahhh. To see someone using the proper term "upcountry" (even if it is part of a title).

I'm not sure when "upstate" came in vogue, but as far as I'm concerned, the "upstate" is north of New York City.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOW! Absolutely wonderful event! :thumbsup: Great history and information from those who work in the buildings, and know them the best. I took at least 200 photos, many from the 10th floor of the Liberty building and 11th floor of the Poinsett Hotel. I don't have time to go into detail now, but expect to see some photos soon.

Anyone else go to this yesterday?

Here are a few photos of the Courthouse details.

I was unaware that many references to the textile industry are made in the architecture.

The base of the columns hold spindles that would have been used in a textile mill.

8465882a.jpg

The top of the columns show the cotton bolls on the cotton plant hanging down onto the column.

32a0d6b8.jpg

The detail in the stairs show the small rollers which also had significance in the textile industry (sorry, I can't recall exactly).

dc4e97aa.jpg

These light fixtures were made from plaster. There was one still intact and they hired a man to recreate the rest when they did the restoration. You can also see the cotton plant detail again in the cast crown moulding (or perhaps that was indigo, there was so much to take in, I was losing track).

0d834887.jpg

Great shots, NYT!  Thanks for the fascinating info.  I took a tour through that area several years ago and was thoroughly impressed with the detail given to architecture back in the early days. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Skyliner.

The tour was quite a bit more thorough than I had expected. They also had a great reception catered by Devereaux's and served Thomas Creek Brewery beer. Their Doppelbock is great! :alc:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Upcountry refers to the rural - Old South and pre-WW2 era, which is why its the Upcountry museum. I'm sure it originated with at the same time as its counterpart- the Lowcountry. SO in a sense, it is more historically correct. These days I hear that referred to when referencing the Union-Fairfield-Chester-Lancaster area more than anything since they actually are "country."

The Upstate is the correct terminology these days though, so get used to it. Move over New York.

NY Transplant, I also attended this tour. Very well organized. And pretty informative talks from Ben Rook and Hayne Hipp (Courthouse and Liberty Building, respectively).

Enjoyed listening to some of the stories of the older participants on the tour as well.

NY Transplant, I also attended this tour.  Very well organized.  And pretty informative talks from Ben Rook and Hayne Hipp (Courthouse and Liberty Building, respectively).

Enjoyed listening to some of the stories of the older participants on the tour as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. The stories were quite good. Hayne and Ben both were well versed in their respective buildings. Of course Hayne spent most of his life in the Liberty Building, and Ben was intimately involved in the restoration of the Courthouse.

I was in the red group. We had an older gentleman who was telling stories of his high school dance at the Poinsett Hotel.

Here are a few photos of the Courthouse details. 

I was unaware that many references to the textile industry are made in the architecture.

The base of the columns hold spindles that would have been used in a textile mill.

8465882a.jpg

The top of the columns show the cotton bolls on the cotton plant hanging down onto the column.

32a0d6b8.jpg

The detail in the stairs show the small rollers which also had significance in the textile industry (sorry, I can't recall exactly).

dc4e97aa.jpg

These light fixtures were made from plaster.  There was one still intact and they hired a man to recreate the rest when they did the restoration.  You can also see the cotton plant detail again in the cast crown moulding (or perhaps that was indigo, there was so much to take in, I was losing track).

0d834887.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent photos NYT! :thumbsup: Sounds like the event was really good. Wish I had been in town. Did they say when and if they are doing this event again?

Excellent photos NYT!  :thumbsup:  Sounds like the event was really good.  Wish I had been in town.  Did they say when and if they are doing this event again?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks gsupstate, it was very informative and interesting.

They said they were not planning to do it again, but they will have more events like it. I don't know if they have anything else in the works right now, but when they do, I'll be there for sure. :thumbsup:

Archived