Nice suburbs In large Metros

TC'

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Rumson NJ is beautiful -- it's near the Jersey Shore and home to rock stars, CEOs and sports stars. It's near Red Bank NJ (home to Jay and Silent Bob) and runs along the Navasink River.

It's about 1 hr 15 min by car to downtown Manhattan -- that's with no traffic. However if you are lucky and rich enough to live in Rumson you can jaunt over to Atlantic Highlands NJ where you can take a fastferry -- 40 min. from Highlands to Wall St. -- the kicker is it rings in at $37 roundtrip (that runs $740 a month for regular commuter!)

Here are some stats and pics:

Population (year 2000): 7,137

Est. population in July 2002: 7,268 (+1.8% change)

Males: 3,457 (48.4%), Females: 3,680 (51.6%)

Land area: 5.2 square miles

Median resident age: 39.2 years

Median household income: $120,865 (year 2000)

Median house value: $455,300 (year 2000)

vfiles7822.jpgvfiles12582.jpgvfiles12584.jpg

Red Bank:

09aerial1.jpgRed Bank fun website -- shows the cultural andf funky side of the town

Bellevue, WA - 10 miles east of Seattle between Lake Washington & Lake Sammamish. It is the hub of Seattle's eastside. Microsoft, Costco, PACCAR (maker of Kenworth & Peterbilt), T-Mobile USA, Nintendo of America, Drugstore.com, InfoSpace, Attachmate, & many others call the eastside home. Here is the Eastside's hub, downtown Bellevue:

belle2.jpg

Bellevue_park_skyline.jpg

Bellevue with Seattle in the horizon across the lake:

WABLh050224D_096.jpg

Close-up of downtown & the flock of cranes:

WABLh050128D_053.jpg

Cool pics, sundodger!

I love Bellevue. Allow me to add a few pics of that wonderfull city.

IMAG0005.jpg

The park in Downtown:

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

The Bellevue Square Mall, (one of) the largest in the Seattle area:

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

More of Downtown:

IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

Sorry if they are a little dark, the weather tends to be overcast up there a lot ;)

When I visited Bellevue in early July, that new tower the're building looked like this:

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

^ Great pics! Bellevue Square is the 3rd largest mall in size in the area behind Southcenter & Alderwood but it is the nicest & probably the highest grossing mall.

Given that Bellevue is a very rich town, it probably is the highest grossing mall indeed.

Where exactly is Southcenter located? Near SeaTac or somewhere near Tacome I guess?

I found Alderwood to be a very pretty mall, too (especially the outdoor section):

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

For Atlanta, I would chose:

1. East Cobb: Upper Middle Class (2/3), Middle Middle Class (1/3): Nice homes, schools, shopping, landscaping, etc. (northwest of Atlanta)

2. Peachtree City: Master-planned community, complete with shopping, nice homes, good schools, lakes, walking trails, golf courses. (Southwest of Atlanta)

3. Vinings: Loads of shopping, business, highrises, upscale homes, and entertainment. (northwest of Atlanta)

4. West Marietta/West Cobb: Generally the area between US 41 and Macland Road: Nice homes, good schools, beautiful landscaping, close to Kennesaw Mountain, shopping, and other ammenities. (northwest of Atlanta).

5. Dunwoody: Loads of shopping, business, highrises, upscale homes, and entertainment. (north of Atlanta)

6. Woodstock/Holly Springs: Rolling hills, close access to the mountains, excellent schools, beautiful homes, shopping, etc. This place has it all. (northwest of Atlanta)

7. Alpharetta/Roswell/S. Forsyth (north/northeast of Atlanta)

8. Newnan: Ever-developing suburb with a historic flair. Nice homes, new and historic. Good schools. (southwest of Atlanta)

9. Kennesaw/Acworth (northwest of Atlanta)

10. Eagles Landing/McDonough (southeast of Atlanta)

Honorable Mentions:

Douglasville (west of Atlanta)

Suwanee (northeast of Atlanta)

Tyrone (southwest of Atlanta)

Snellville (east of Atlanta)

Decatur (well, probably should have included it, but forgot: east of Atlanta).

Of all major US cities, I'd say Boston has some of the nicest suburbs, and some of the nastiest. Because each is its own incorporated town, there tends to be a lot of pedestrian retail near the centers or near the many train stations. And some of these developments are completely devoid of any chains. Brookline, Swampscott, Marblehead, and Ipswich are some of my favorite 'burbs anywhere. On the other hand, there's Revere, Chelsea, Quincy, and others that have a lot of run down, working class housing. But most of these places have been gentrified to some degree over the last decade as people have been priced out of the more desireable areas.

Seattle's eastside also has some cool spots, Marin Co near SF also has its places, but Santa Clara Co and the Easy Bay look like they were hijacked from LA.

Archived