Growth in Jefferson Coutny

Florida

JEFFERSON-content-jefferson_courtho.jpg

Jefferson County Courthouse

It appears that Monticello is tired of taking the backseat to Tallahassee with regard to its residents living there, working and shopping in Tallahassee.

St. Joe land company is attempting to develop 985 acres along the Jefferson-Leon border, at 4 times the density allowed currently... however planning department officials have reccomended denial of the request for zoning change siting "St. Joe knew what the property was zoned for when they purchased the land".

Of the available property in Jefferson County, officials say there are over 51,000 homesites available to be developed. St. Joe Company officials would like to know where these properties are as they believe they do not exist.

I will be following this development very closely as I see there is finally some serious activity in Tallahassee's eastern county, wether they want to be in our MSA or not.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its taken me about a night but I've done some thinking about this desire of Jefferson County to do its own thing and grow into a community independent of Tallahassee. Here are my thoughts...

In terms of numbers, Jefferson doesn't have what you would call the most sizeable population. Pair with that the perception that they seem to have an anti-growth attitude. I'm not sure Tallahassee wants to be associated with this type of image in these times of change for us.

Just my opinion.

Its LEE-on! And you're right... our neighbor to the south is growing at an alarming rate. St. Joe plans one of these New ruralism projects for leon county, however, they haven't said where they would put it.

I don't know... I really like the charms of Jefferson County, but there isn't that connectivity with Tallahassee from an economic development stand point. I think there lies the possibility for this to be a very nice community, if they would allow a little more development along the Leon County boundary.

I was raised in Wakulla and am actually sad that it's growing so rapidly. (Drat on Tallahassee people for moving down there.) I went to visit my parents a while back and was suprised to see a new COMPLETED subdivison as well as a new bank going up, land cleared for a Wal-Mart, etc . . . I haven't been gone THAT long!

Jefferson is small - more "rural" (in my mind) than Wakulla County . . . but I wouldn't be suprised to see it grow up some. Keep in mind, some persons in Leon County look down on Jefferson for various reasons (living standards, population) and some might not even realize it's there - so that might hinder growth and development some what.

With housing prices like they are in Leon county - I can see more people moving to Jefferson with the hopes of escaping high costs of building/renting (hence the supposed 51,000 homesite). However, I do have problems with seeing much commercial growth - as per the rural location mostly.

I was raised in Wakulla and am actually sad that it's growing so rapidly.  (Drat on Tallahassee people for moving down there.)  I went to visit my parents a while back and was suprised to see a new COMPLETED subdivison as well as a new bank going up, land cleared for a Wal-Mart, etc . . .  I haven't been gone THAT long!

Jefferson is small - more "rural" (in my mind) than Wakulla County . . . but I wouldn't be suprised to see it grow up some.  Keep in mind, some persons in Leon County look down on Jefferson for various reasons (living standards, population) and some might not even realize it's there - so that might hinder growth and development some what.

With housing prices like they are in Leon county - I can see more people moving to Jefferson with the hopes of escaping high costs of building/renting (hence the supposed 51,000 homesite).  However, I do have problems with seeing much commercial growth - as per the rural location mostly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't realize work has already begun on the Wakulla County Wal-Mart... its going to be a Supercenter I suppose and I also presume once it is completed more like it will come.

You're right in a since about Leon county people looking down their noses at Jefferson County residents. I've seen the same of those from Wakulla and Gasden as well... its typical of a community when they are a little larger to look down on the "little guy". Tallahassee is "the little guy" by the standards of many, so I totally understand the feeling of having someone look down at you.

I'm originally from Madison County. The difference between Madison and Jefferson counties and the city of Tallahassee was like two different worlds. On the one hand, my family's business was in Greenville. My brother and I attended Aucilla Christian Academy for a few years. Most of our friends lived in either Madison, Jefferson, or Taylor counties. Yet we still went to Tallahassee (the "big city") for doctors, groceries, movies, shopping and such. I wonder how unique our family was to live in the country yet depend on Tallahassee so much.

tallahassee doesnt have the infrastructure to suuport the growth in wakaulla... if we are going to give them jobs, we should help them get home at night

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What exactly do you mean? Sorry - I just couldn't understand what you were trying to get across . . . blame it on me waking up everyday this week at 6:45am. (Not much of an excuse, but use it anyway!)

^I think he's saying our road capacity will not allow for effieicent flow between Tallahassee and Wakulla County. I tend to agree with him on this. Here's why.

I-10 as Florida's main East - West road is not easily accessable from Wakulla County. The motorists ability to get from the big road to areas south of Tallahassee is slow at best, primarily because our city doesn't have an expressway running south toward the airport or anything else south of the city. The widening of Capital Circle Southeast will greatly help in relieving some of the North - South stress in Tallahassee.

Secondly, two roads.... Woodville and Crawfordville highways are both in need of widening. The roads should be divided highways like 319 north to Thomasville and the speed limit increased to 65 MPH. I can almost gurantee trade and travel between Tallahassee and the coastal counties will instantly increase, dramatically.

What do you all think of Tallahassee's route toward Jefferson County along U.S. 27? I think its a nice drive and it has tons of potential. I've seen tons of housing communities going up out there, as well as along Highway 90 East. It seems Tallahassee might develop itself all the way to the Jefferson line by 2015.

yeah, even with the infill downtown we are sprawling out of our own bourders.... and the other cities are doing thier part to grow towards us also... new satellite pictures will be fun to see. the impact of the last 10 yrs cant be ignored... even the lakes are being developed.

PS,,, TaureanJ hit the wakulla transportation issue on the head! thanks for the help man!

If Jefferson doesn't want it....fine. I believe in self rule.

But I don't believe for ONE SECOND this is about them wanting to remain a "rural" area. We ALL know that every county adjacent to Leon will be fully developed in 20 - 30 years. Jefferson especially will be FULL of suburban sprawl. They just don't understand new urbanism frankly. They think they are fighting development? Nah, they are fighting to keep the Atlanta type suburban sprawl instead of going with a new urbanism approach that packs people together, trying to get them to work, shop, and live in the same area as opposed to driving an hour everywhere and provides lots of reserved natural areas. They just prefer large homes on large lots where people drive long distances everyday for everything and little to no reserved natural areas.

You know... I truly believe that may be the case... those in Eastern Leon County along the Jefferson county line share that same attitude... I'd gamble and say there are some in Wakulla and Gasden who feel the same.

Big yards with a modular home on it is typical of alot of these rural counties. In remote locations, you may be lucky to find a planned community, with paved roads, street signs, pretty homes, and sidewalks.

I think its going to be tough for the Tallahassee region as a whole to grow together as a metro in the next 20 years with the resistance of Jefferson County, since it is very important to this region despite its population, however, we've still got Wakulla and Gasden, and even Thomas and Grady County in GA moving forward with us.

So many reason to live in proximity....

1. its not the seventies anymore

2. Gas/enviroment

3. Time

4. Respect for the amount of space u feel you need to consume continuously!!!

but seriously... i am a country boy.. but i cant be ingorant of the damage caused by sprawl. It would be selfish for me to drive all those miles everyday.

So many reason to live in proximity....

1. its not the seventies anymore

2. Gas/enviroment

3. Time

4.  Respect for the amount of space u feel you need to consume continuously!!!

but seriously... i am a country boy.. but i cant be ingorant of the damage caused by sprawl.  It would be selfish for me to drive all those miles everyday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Murphy,

I am a country boy also. I used to own 30 acres in Madison County and hope some day to pass on 100 acres or so to my kids. But the suburbs isn't country as you know and that is all Jefferson County is protecting. The aren't protecting the country.

FYI St Joe is planning to sell a planned community of small ranches and large ranches in the Tally area. This is the only way"country" will survive in our area I am afraid....everything else will wind up urban sprawl.

^St.Joe is like everywhere. I went to Panama city yesterday and noticed a big sign that said St.Joe commercial site, but do you think everything will become urban sprawl here in old Leon county. If you got to the westide of Leon out near Hwy 20 and 90 you see everything is laid back and country. As far as I know there isn't that much development going on back there. All "boondoc."

My parents are moving to madison to avoid the sprawl eventually. I tell them that is still to close.

But ultimatly, the country side was overun when i was younge. LItlle ol CHaires Corss rd. had a posted speed limit of 55 mph (where i caught the school bus). It was a mini- truck route highly travelled by dump trucks and dangerous for any pedestrian. If you saw a horse galloping in the ditch it was a special occasion. when my mother was my age, the horse had the R O W!

Archived