Growth in Jefferson Coutny

Florida

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't know how often I longed for that to be an exit. Growing up out there made me want them to widen the road too. I wanted it to be the new Capital Circle because it seemed to go in a circle. But those days are behind me... thats when I was new to the game.

But travel is tough out there. When I was in HS at Lincoln a boy that I went to school with owned a Porche, and I suppose he was going 100 MPH or more down Bucklake when I family was pulling out of their driveway, and he killed them. He escaped with minor damages. But that just shows, those roads and living out there is dangerous.

But Im weird... because I want there to be an exit for Miccosukee Road too!! LOL! I wanted my shortcuts anyway I could get them.

Mission road is also a good canidate.

You know we will be getting a new exit for Capital Circle NE finally... thats a no brainer... surprised its taken this long.

My parents are moving to madison to avoid the sprawl eventually. I tell them that is still to close.

Thus the definition of sprawl....people that do that eventually bring modern conviences with them...including shopes, stores, gas stations, grocery story, etc.

Eventually, the country will just be folks wealthy enough to own large tracts of land.

• 3 months later...

Anyone drive into Monticello on 90E lately? Riley Palmer is building a subdivision called "Crooked Creek". It's on the right going into town.

I read through the above posts and some good points were made. With regards to Jefferson County being anti-development, I don't really see that. They just approved a rezoning measure for Waukeenah (East on 27 towards Perry) and another on 19S. There are also some additional townhomes planned for downtown. The people against growth raise heck in the paper, letters to the editors etc., but the County Commission doesn't seem to hear them.

All in all, I want some growth over here (We just got a new restraurant!) but have it done correctly... maybe I need to run for planning board. :)

Monticello can be it's own city when it gets on Tallahassee's level. By that I mean they get their own mayor, jobs, shopping, movies, all the things Tallahassee has that Jefferson Co. doesn't. It's like Metro Atlanta, some of Atlanta's suburbs have the shopping, jobs & recreation to survive on their own should they decide to break away from Greater Atlanta. Maybe in 15 years Jefferson will have the infrastructure to support being its own city, but until then it will simply be Tallahassee's suburb to the east.

Monticello can be it's own city when it gets on Tallahassee's level. By that I mean they get their own mayor, jobs, shopping, movies, all the things Tallahassee has that Jefferson Co. doesn't. It's like Metro Atlanta, some of Atlanta's suburbs have the shopping, jobs & recreation to survive on their own should they decide to break away from Greater Atlanta. Maybe in 15 years Jefferson will have the infrastructure to support being its own city, but until then it will simply be Tallahassee's suburb to the east.

Oh?

Monticello is actually its own city. It was incorporated 1827, only 2 years after Tallahassee and long ago was just as prosperous as Tallahassee when agriculture was the industry in the south. Still Monticello does alright for a community it's size. They have their own schools, their own courts, their own law enforcement, their own government (mayor), and to a certain degree their own jobs. Monticello has also done a great job holding onto its history, which I think is a great thing.

So where can Tallahassee and Monticello work together? Well Monticello has several attractions that I think many people would enjoy if they knew they existed, such as their historic downtown or the JCKC (Jefferson County Dog Racing). It would seem our growth in eastern Tallahassee is taking us closer and closer to the Jefferson County door... especially along HWY 90... but that road needs to be widened. Along U.S. 27, we could probably use a little more housing, or maybe even some light industrial type of jobs. I could see us putting a race track along that strip, or maybe someone might get smart and want to bring a theme park to the area. But whatever the case I think both Tallahassee and Monticello/Jefferson have strengths that could compliment one another.

I think the major factor holding growth in Jefferson back is poor schools. I think I've read they are slowing getting better, but I'm sure that will take awhile. Growth of middle income families tends to follow good schools or at least the perception of good schools. Look at our area, the fastest outlying county in growth is Wakulla and they are perceived to have good schools. I know other factors are involved, but good schools is part of it. Then look at Gadsden County, growth there has been very slow and that is partly because they have some of the worst schools in the state.

I've never considered the quality of schools as a factor in growth before but you make a very good point. Because the schools in Wakulla County have been percieved as excellent for quite some time. So, the secret to sparking strong growth is strong schools... makes since.

Does this explain why so many of these self-sustaining communities like Southwood, Fallschase... etc have schools in their master plans?

^What Poonther said...that's what I've been hearing for several years too. Poor schools are holding Jefferson and Gadsden back relative to Wakulla. Wakulla does have the coast going for it, but most of the residential development Wakulla has experienced the last few years is north-county resdiential development serving as a lower-cost housing alternative to families working in Leon County. I know they (Wakulla residents) hate to hear it, but a bedroom community, of sorts, to Tallahassee. Good schools in Wakulla make it viable. Poor schools in Jefferson and Gadsden turn families away.

TaureanJ, thanks for clearing up the fact that Monticello is in fact it's own city since 1827! Hence my clever screen name. :P

With regards to the school issue, I definetly think that is holding people back from moving into the county. From my memory the public schools earned no A's or B's in the latest FDOE grading. I think the elementary got a C, the middle school got an F and the high school earned a D. (I could be off, the FDOE website wasn't working tonight).

When I moved over here people were asking me if I knew how bad the schools were. Since my wife and I do not have children, but for couples who do I imagine that would be a deterence to moving here. Now the next observation I have could anger some people but oh well. It seems that the majority of white students in the city/county attend private school at Aucilla Christian or Monticello Christian Academy while the majority of African American students attend the public schools. My friend who has lived here all his life says that's the way it has been since the 1970/80's. In fact, friends of ours who live in Monticello are now moving to Tallahassee now that their daughter is of school age because they don't want to send her to public school or pay for private school.

My hope is that with new residential development this trend can be reversed... if the people who live here don't want to try and make the public schools better no amount of $$$ will cure the problems they are experiencing.

It's sure good to finally have a voice from Jefferson County on the boards now. Monticello, do you think you can use the Metro Developments thread to update us on all of the new things going on in Monticello? I'd love that.

Will do, I'd love to keep ya'll up on what's happening over in Jefferson County!

• 2 years later...

Archived