Sperlings Best Places to Live 2005

qwertycc

This may be old news, but I occasionally check out Sperlings "best cities lists" and I found Sperlings Best Places to Live list for 331 U.S. Metro Areas for 2005. Tennessee metros are as follows:

77. Johnson City-Kingsport-Bristol (TN, VA)

103. Knoxville

109. Memphis (TN, MS, AR)

206. Nashville

210. Chattanooga (TN, GA)

215. Clarksville (TN, KY)

304. Jackson

The profiles of these cities and all others as well as an explanation for their placement on the list can be found in the book Cities Ranked and Rated (the 2005 edition) by Sperling. The list can be found at Sperling's Best Places website: http://www.bestplaces.net/default.aspx

Other cities on the list likely of regional interest to Tennesseans are:

7. Atlanta, GA

8. Asheville, NC

11. Roanoke, VA

13. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC

15. Lynchburg, VA

27. Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, AR

55. Richmond, VA

81. Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point, NC

91. Lexington, KY

97. St. Louis, MO

98. Charlotte, NC

99. Little Rock, AR

167. Louisville, KY

178. Jackson, MS

218. Birmingham, AL

226. Huntsville, AL

257. Jonesboro, AR

258. Montgomery, AL

303. Owensboro, KY

322. Fort Smith, AR

323. Anniston, AL

324. Gadsen, AL

325. Pine Bluff, AR

Not trying to start some sort of "those people are idiots--____ city is so much better than those cities above it--etc." discussion. Just being informational. And you can't really contradict their findings until you see their figures and reasoning. I'm not saying they are right, but they are reputable and have considered a host of variables. And anyone matching 331 cities up against one another is very unlikely to come to a conclusion that is irrefutable and absolute. But check it out--it's very healthy to view an unbiased approach to the place you live (or once lived) as well as those cities you harbor love or dislike towards.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's kind of weird to see that Huntsville (and Nashville) ranked so low on this list, but they rank in the top 10 in other lists. The same also goes for Chattanooga and Clarksville. They've been #1 on various lists lately.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that for just about every city in the country you can find lists, some which show a particular city near the top, others near the bottom. For that reason, I don't pay too much attention to any of those lists. The best thing to do is to find out as much as you can about a city and form your own opinion. B)

All those kinds of lists are blurs.

Nothing wrong with Johnson City/Kingsport, but income levels are pretty low. If you've got a good job there, I'm sure it's great with nearby mountains and so on.

Same ifs, ands, and buts for all similar lists.

sleepy's got it right. One person will find everything just right and someone else might find everything wrong. It's all personal to each person.

Nah, brain, taxes aren't so bad, but I figure I should get a rebate since we didn't make the Top 200. Just snickering a bit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right on.

I live like a king here in the Minnesota sticks. 2100 sq. ft., 1925 era pristine house for $80,000. And I earn the same salary I would in Memphis or Nashville!

Of course, I live in the Minnesota sticks, not Nashville or Memphis. :(

Archived