Viridian Construction

Skyscrapergeek

In case you haven't checked lately, the residential floors have begun and it's a very interesting method they are using. They are removing the concrete forms from the floor below and lifting them by crane to the floor above. I'm sure this isn't new technology but I guess I've just never noticed this before. Wow, I can see now how they will be able to pull off a floor a week. Very efficient. I'm sure the construction crew was glad to get past the parking levels.

viridiannashville.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In case you haven't checked lately, the residential floors have begun and it's a very interesting method they are using. They are removing the concrete forms from the floor below and lifting them by crane to the floor above. I'm sure this isn't new technology but I guess I've just never noticed this before. Wow, I can see now how they will be able to pull off a floor a week. Very efficient. I'm sure the construction crew was glad to get past the parking levels.

viridiannashville.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's is way cool!!! :D That sucker going to really rise now.

Hey Hankster, check out how wrong the diagram is for Signature on skyscraperpage. They have the overall height at 850ft but the floor # and roof height is off by at least 50ft. It looks like we have more preaching to do. I don't know why the height for an imaginary (yet highly probable) building is so hard to grasp. :blink:

If you look in the upper right corner of the shot you can see the digging for the Suntrust tower.  We get to see 2 building go up in one shot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't noticed. It will be twice the fun to watch both buildings rise at the same time! :lol:

Hey Hankster, check out how wrong the diagram is for Signature on skyscraperpage. They have the overall height at 850ft but the floor # and roof height is off by at least 50ft. It looks like we have more preaching to do. I don't know why the  height for an imaginary (yet highly probable) building is so hard to grasp. :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had not noticed that Skyscraper page has changed their Sig Tower diagram to the new design. The last time I checked it was the old design. When you call up the diagram to be displayed in feet, the top looks to be at exactly 850 Ft! How about that!

Skyscraper Page Diagram

Wow, can't wait for the Viridian to open.

I've got just too much money and I can't wait to pay some more taxes.

Maybe the young woman who worked in my office right after garduation will let me come visit her apartment in the Veridian that I am helping to finance.

Just out of UT (where else?) she worked at my company as an intern and, of course, qualified for "affordable" housing to buy her apartment in the Viridian. After a year at my office she got a better job with a major architectural firm and a resulting salary increase. Six months after qualifing for affordable housing she no longer qualifies but still gets her apartment in the Veridian that I am helping her to pay for with my tax dollars.

Does anyone see something wrong with this arrangement?

Hey Hankster, check out how wrong the diagram is for Signature on skyscraperpage. They have the overall height at 850ft but the floor # and roof height is off by at least 50ft. It looks like we have more preaching to do. I don't know why the  height for an imaginary (yet highly probable) building is so hard to grasp. :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your mistake is in taking that site seriously.

Wow, can't wait for the Viridian to open.

I've got just too much money and I can't wait to pay some more taxes.

Maybe the young woman who worked in my office right after garduation will let me come visit her apartment in the Veridian that I am helping to finance.

Just out of UT (where else?) she worked at my company as an intern and, of course, qualified for "affordable" housing to buy her apartment in the Viridian.  After a year at my office she got a better job with a major architectural firm and a resulting salary increase.  Six months after qualifing for affordable housing she no longer qualifies but still gets her apartment in the Veridian that I am helping her to pay for with my tax dollars.

Does anyone see something wrong with this arrangement?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with this particular arrangement. Without the affordable housing downtown being championed by local government, many of these projects would not take place. Sometimes, it's a good idea that government provide an incentive to jump start something that is good for the community. Once (I believe about 4,000) enough housing units are built downtown to provide a vibrant housing base, the incentive will go away, and I don't think it would be necessary for continued incentives there anyway. The momentum would be such that continued investments will take place without incentives. Also, by then there will be so many people living downtown that many other businesses and services would be built by free market forces to support this new population. Usually I'm against government spending plans, but as far as I'm concerned, this a good way to spend our hard earned tax dollars. Nashville needs an exciting, vibrant downtown area. It will help increase tourism and the regard the rest of the nation has for Nashville. And I can think of no better way of achieving that than by accelerating the growth in the number of people living downtown. :D

I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with this particular arrangement.

Are you a Nashville citizen?

Maybe the downtown projects happening downtown shouldn't happen if they can't happen without my tax dollars. Isn't the big problem the Urbanist have with the suburbs is that they are subsidized by the government?

The subsidies only begin with "affordable" housing. Think of the infrastructure and civil services that will be required to support the population. What about all the new traffic caused by all these new people. I can see businesses moving out of downtown after it becomes clogged with all the residents commuting to Cool Springs in the morning.

Why would downtown residents encourage tourism? The people that come to visit are country music fans - you know spandex clad goobers from the hinterlands (and Europe). Why would they want to hang out at a gay bar with sneering urban groovies? That is like saying that tourist go to East Nashville now to hang out before the bus picks them up to go to the Opry.

Seems like tourists would be driven off by the downtown residents snobbery and ridicule.

Also, by then there will be so many people living downtown that many other businesses and services would be built by free market forces to support this new population.
Yes, of course you are right. I want to see this happen too but not with my tax money.

Nashville needs an exciting, vibrant downtown area.

Why? We have exciting and vibrant suburbs. Why is it that a city "needs" a downtown - just so that young adults can have a place to get drunk and get laid? I'd rather spent my tax dollars to encourage sobriety and matrimony in the suburbs.

Are you a Nashville citizen?

Not currently. However, I have lived in Nashville most of my life. I would support the same initiative in Chattanooga, my current hometown.

Maybe the downtown projects happening downtown shouldn't happen if they can't happen without my tax dollars.  Isn't the big problem the Urbanist have with the suburbs is that they are subsidized by the government?

The subsidies only begin with "affordable" housing.  Think of the infrastructure and civil services that will be required to support the population.  What about all the new traffic caused by all these new people.  I can see businesses moving out of downtown after it becomes clogged with all the residents commuting to Cool Springs in the morning.

In my opinion, government outlays required to finance infrastructure for the seemingly never ending sprawl into the suburbs far exceeds the infrastructure costs of much higher density living in downtown. Just think how much money has been spent in the Nashville area constantly widening interstates so that sububanites can commute longer and longer distances the work. I guarantee that more downtown residents will result in fewer cars on the road and less traffic for people who remain in the suburbs to contend with.

Why would downtown residents encourage tourism?  The people that come to visit are country music fans - you know spandex clad goobers from the hinterlands (and Europe).  Why would they want to hang out at a gay bar with sneering urban groovies?  That is like saying that tourist go to East Nashville now to hang out before the bus picks them up to go to the Opry.

Seems like tourists would be driven off by the downtown residents snobbery and ridicule.

Yes, of course you are right.  I want to see this happen too but not with my tax money.

Why?  We have exciting and vibrant suburbs.  Why is it that a city "needs" a downtown - just so that young adults can have a place to get drunk and get laid?  I'd rather spent my tax dollars to encourage sobriety and matrimony in the suburbs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More downtown residents will bring more restaurants, more nightclubs, more art facilties, more shopping, more services, and even more tourist destinations. All of this will make the downtown experience more enjoyable for most tourists, and tourism will certainly increase.

As for your comments about snobbery downtown, I have no idea what you're talking about. If you're a tourist in Nashville and you want to find snobs, I would suggest you go out to the suburbs in Belle Meade and Brentwood. You seem to have a very negative outlook about most things discussed on these threads. I would suggest you lighten up a bit. :lol:

Archived