Pittsburgh for New Orleans refugees

blueblackcat

I have a friend from NOLA who I'm going to drive and bring to Pittsburgh for a while. Any suggestions on how to spend our free time together? There's a tons to do, the problem for me is to decide between them. I don't have too much money because I just spent a month in Europe, but I shouldn't have to mention that I won't let her spend a dime while she's here, either. But I want her to have a good experience. Any ideas? I live on Mt Washington, btw.

-blueblackcat

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends what her interests are, Mt. Washington with the inclines and overlooks alone should be a thrill for her. You might want to call Kennywood and tell them the situation offer to show them her drivers license or something, I'm sure they'll be glad to offer a free pass for the day.

I guess the most important thing is to let her get back on her feet. Oh by the way thats extremely generous of you.

I guess the most important thing is to let her get back on her feet.  Oh by the way thats extremely generous of you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still feel terrible. I had an opportunity to volunteer to head down to NOLA myself for 3 months with the Marines, but by the time they even asked me, hell I already made my own plans days before cos I thought they'd never ask. And I just started classes, I already missed 2 years of school because of Iraq. Yet I feel like my friend's just one person, down there are thousands. I wish I didn't have to make these decisions myself.

You're doing a good thing for your friend. Don't feel bad that you aren't doing more - it's already more than most peoplke are doing!

As for things to do with them: I can tell you how to get into any of the Carnegie museums for free. Go to the Carnegie library and check out a couple copies of a book. I believe it is called The Carnegie, and it's a history of the museums. If you ask at the desk, they should be able to point you to it.

If you go to a Carnegie museum and hand them that book, you get in for free. Bring one copy for each person.

I am not positive that this is still being done, but it was a few years ago.

You might also try a day in Schenley Park. Just walking around there, checking out the outdoor gardens at Phipps, etc.

Gerbil, never knew that about the Carnegie ;).

Your right Schenley or even Frick would be a nice escape, Point State Park has great views but its in the hustle and bustle some. I would call ahead to places like Kennywood and the LeMont or Just Ducky Tours or others and let them know the situation.

Really depends on what shes after, if its just some quiet time and meditation then Schenley is excellent or a ride on one of the Gateway Clipper Fleet, if shes more adventurous (some people escape by climing mountains or going on a coaster 20 straight times :) ), i'd go the call before route I'm sure they can discount any tickets if not allow free admission.

Depending on how far you want to take this you could call KDKA radio or some of the local TV stations, not so much to put "pressure" on a Kennywood or Gateway Clipper Fleet but to see if the radio or TV stations want to approach them on a story of a NOLA refugee here in Pittsburgh, again this is only if you two aren't camera shy, won't be tons of exposure but I'm sure the TV or Radio can work with some of their partners and put a package together if she or they really want to have some fun (not the meditation, easy going Schenely Park types). I'm sure your faces or voices will appear for a few min. on the evening newscast along with ad like promos of those providing tickets for free, but if you like the idea of 15 min of fame (literally) and they want to ride coasters and riverboats and the like, it might be a win-win all the way around.

Personally I'd just want to chill out over at Schenley after all that, but I know some people close to me that would love the attention and would have to vent riding the JackRabbitt a few dozen times. Really depends on what your after. Keep us informed I hope things go well with you guys.

Archived