Wake Co. Justice Center

capitalapts

First, we for SURE need a new courthouse. Those elevators are pretty spooky.

Next: has anyone ever been in the "yuck" building? I have, and for a building that was designed in the "function over form" era, it functions especially poorly. Yes it's neat in a quirky kind of way, but I wouldn't mourn its loss, provided its replacement was both more functional and more attractive. I would, however, mourn the loss of the Lawyers Bldg, and especially the State Soda Shoppe located therein. Jack makes the best milkshakes in the whole world. If you haven't had one of his Oreo specials, you haven't lived.

Finally, I would love to see a building that is taller than the existing jail so it would be more visible on the skyline, but also so it could provide ample space for the existing County functions on the site (Register of Deeds and some other county agencies are there now) PLUS additional courthouse space. If it were designed in such as way as to face Nash Square, with a nice facade and a landmark roofline (I'm thinking a modest dome or something court-like), then that would be even better. Interior links bewteen Nash Square and the old courthouse would be excellent, too. The 600 parking spaces should be underground.

I'm loving this continued public investment in Raleigh's downtown! :thumbsup:

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as there is some kind or Time & Temperature clock erected when there tear this building down it's fine with me. I know when it was really hot a few months ago, I was driving to the office at the Bank of America building and it read 102 degrees. It was sweltering. The register of deeds space is really nice and up to date in that building Flat screens an all. :)

It'd be nice if neither of those buildings had to come down, honestly. While you may say "yuck" about the The 1960 building today, what will people think about it 30 years from now? 50? Remember that people were saying "Yuck" abut old mills and warehouses 30 years ago. By tearing something down just because it doesn't appeal to your tastes right now you're throwing away Raleigh's chance to have a varied and diverse architectural history.

Personally, I think that building is quirky and kind of neat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also love that 60's esque building with the different shades of blue tile. I really hope it's not in the demolition plan.

In fact, if I remember correctly, the model preserved both the 1960 Raleigh Federal building and the Lawyers building. The model had the space between Raleigh Federal and Lawyers set up as a sort of small plaza, but I thought it looked strange. Of course, the model was all beige, so it looked like they were trying to pass it all off as one building. Perhaps in living color when you can tell it's supposed to be three seperate buildings, the plaza idea would look okay.

Really, though, I'd rather they build the courthouse in exactly the same footprint as the parking deck, filling up just the space between Raleigh Federal and Lawyers on Salisbury Street, and covering the entire width of the block behind them. I leave it up to to the architects to solve the problems of aesthetics..

And, I'll say it again - no stupid parking deck on McDowell!! An entrance to an interior or underground deck? fine. But don't kill that block by showing passers by nothing but cars stacked on top of each other.

I think both buildings are great. The last I read was that only the parking deck would be torn down anyway. My count is that pre-depression era, Raleigh had 10 buildings 5 stories or taller, of which only 6 are left and the Lawyers building is one. I think Downtown Asheville has a building like the Raleigh Federal S&L bldg. Both are very retro and cool. It is perfect in urban form...5 stories tall, pedestrian eaves, lots of glass, inviting entrance, marble accents...

Shoot, I think it would make great retro condos furnished with antiques from Father & Sons and lived in by employees from Pooles Diner.

I think both buildings are great. The last I read was that only the parking deck would be torn down anyway. My count is that pre-depression era, Raleigh had 10 buildings 5 stories or taller, of which only 6 are left and the Lawyers building is one. I think Downtown Asheville has a building like the Raleigh Federal S&L bldg. Both are very retro and cool. It is perfect in urban form...5 stories tall, pedestrian eaves, lots of glass, inviting entrance, marble accents...

Shoot, I think it would make great retro condos furnished with antiques from Father & Sons and lived in by employees from Pooles Diner.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If people remember, there was a building somewhat like the Raleigh Federal Bulding caddy-corner to the back right side of the current jail---where the parking lot is next to Kings. It was not as nice but some people made some noise about it being torn down. It is now a surface parking lot. It was leased by the FEDs for Health and Human Resource--i think.

• 11 months later...

As part of the new Wake County Courthouse Masterplan the structures occupying the selected block will be assessed for their feasible reuse or demolition. The county jail building will remain while the possibility of demise will face all the other structures. The Garland Jones Building at 300 South Salisbury Street is one of those structures challenged with potential demolition. Formerly the First Federal Building designed by the St. Louis Architect Howard Musick in 1960, the building is presently the home for Wake County

Agreed. Even though that era architecture isn't my favorite, it's not like we have tons of buildings downtown like it. It's unique...it's in good shape...sound construction, etc....just probably needs a little sprucing up and cleaning.

Tearing it down would be just plain stupid.

Save the clock but tear down the building if they have to. It is OK and I like the building but it has always been know as the building with the clock.

Again, save it if you can but like the SSA building beside Kings, certain people wanted it to stand and it would have been nicer than the parking lot there now but life goes on without it.

JMHO

The county has a terrible 'history' of ripping down historic buildings.....the courthouse itself has been torn down and rebuilt several times. The Garland Jones buildings is a statement building, and should absolutely be kept along with the Lawyers Building from the 1920's near it. The county always has blinders on when it comes to downtown.....highrise prisons downtown are pitiful looking...the county will only cement its reputation as a pathetic downtown participant if it tears down either of these buildings.

While some may say it is ugly, this building will be revered and treasured as a beautiful example of pristine mid-20th century architecture within two decades. While it's not very tall, it has excellent urban form (which is extremely rare for mid-20th century buildings) and as jnzllwgr noted, is well-built of quality materials, and presumably in good condition.

Tear this building down? No way. Keep this one (and the older Lawyers building), and fill in between them with an office building that serves as a Salisbury Street entrance to the courthouse. Use the back 3/4 of the lot for the courthouse!

^Agreed.

I wouldn't call it ugly by itself. If, say, over half the buildings in downtown looked like it...then yeah it'd be kinda ugly. But it's the only one, so that makes it unique and different.

It'd probably help too if it got some better maintenance (paint, polishing, cleaning up) to make it look more like it was new. (The blue squares look sun-faded to me.) Then it'd really be a nice stand-out building.

Wow! I'm encouraged by all the feedback from everyone.

The County doesn't like the building and they feel its their right to tear it down. PLEASE, make your interests known to your County Commissioners so that they understand there is constituency that values this structure's unique contribution. I know for a fact that the N&O, Metro Magazine and other public forums have not addressed the issue because it is too politically sensitive.

Taste is subjective and the County needs to first understand the building historically, contextually and architecturally. Subsequently they must investigate and exhaust ALL options prior to determining it should be removed. The County's reasoning should be available for public review. I want the County to SHOW me how a Court-going experience (hopefully not mine!) will be greatly enhanced by the decisions they make.

Right now, though, its important as many citizens are aware of this issue. The ball is already rolling on this one and its going to be lost unless we make others aware.

Thought this is a succint online resource about Raleigh's architectural heritage up through the 1970s.

Scroll way down to the Mid-Twentieth Century Chapter after all the images have had time to load.

The Garland Jones Building is noted (and an image is provided) as an example of a contributing structure from its period.

http://www.raleighcitymuseum.org/arch_surv...y.shtml#mid20th

I'm going to go against the grain here... I'm not a big fan of that building. I've been by there and it has never struck me as significant in any way. Certainly not like the Old Fellows, Commerce, Montegue, and old First Citizen's bldgs (now long gone) to name a few. Now the County Courthouse on F St is hideous! :sick: Tear that thing down right away and don't look back...

^haha, I had a feeling you didn't like that building.

I love the building, however, and would be very upset if they tore it down. I will admit it took a few years to grow on me, but I think its a excellent example of architecture of its time, and it would be a shame to see it go.

Yeah, like I said above, if Raleigh had several buildings that looked like that, I'd not care for it. But I think the fact that it's the only one...totally unique...gives it a character.

I think more people would like it if it was worked on some...polish the steel, give it more modern light fixtures, paint those faded blue squares. Maybe if we changed them from "Carolina blue" to "Wolfpack Red", more people would like it. :D

^haha, I had a feeling you didn't like that building.

I love the building, however, and would be very upset if they tore it down. I will admit it took a few years to grow on me, but I think its a excellent example of architecture of its time, and it would be a shame to see it go.

Yeah, I didn't like it at first either....I think after multiple trips to Father & Sons everything 1950's-1960's retro began to grow on me....I even bought a sweet turquois formica table!

Archived