Wake Co. Justice Center

capitalapts

According to this article in the N&O this morning, due to the inability of the county to successfully sell voter-approved bonds in this economy, the county is facing a big shortfall. The county indicated that several projects, including the new downtown courthouse, could be delayed indefinitely until they can get cash flowing again. They did, however, take out a loan that will allow them to continue on with projects already underway for the next year, by which time I'd say we will see a much healthier market than we are experiencing now.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/wake/story/1262713.html

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might be wrong, but I think the demolition contract for the Lawyers building, Garland Jones building, and parking deck had already been awarded.

It would be a nightmare scenario if these buildings come down without any funding or plans for funding to build their replacements.

If not, this would be a blessing. I like the sound of "indefinitely" because it might mean we could actually organize ourselves and manage to preserve these buildings.

The reason it was said that the Lawyers building absolutely-no-question-had-to-go was so that a connection could be built between the new courhouse and the existing tunnel under Salisbury street. However, on questioning the architects and county staff, it turns out that they didn't even consider reconfiguring the below-ground floor of the existing detention center to allow a pathway between the new courthouse and the old tunnel. without demolishing Laywers. And as we all know, the only reason the GJB was set to come down was that it was easier to fulfill their needs if they used the entire block. Seems like they weren't very thorough in investigating other possibilities?

Is there anything we can do about this, friends? I can't believe this has received so little attention - and that the County has gotten away with such lackluster transparancy/total disregard for public comment and input/wasteful/totally-against-the-grain-of-trying-to-tout-greening-efforts-but-demolishing-two-perfectly-rehab-worthy-buildings. Wow, that's a lot of dashes...Everyone b's and moans about all that was lost with Urban Renewal, and governmental expansion and their never-ending quest for more and more parking lots. But here's a PERFECT example of the past repeating itself and there sure hasn't been a whole heckuva lot of outcry on this one, at least no so's I've heard.

Check it for all of you old building buffs out there - Lawyers Building kickin' it old skool and the fancy State Theatre that used to live on the ground floor...

LawyersBuildingStateTheater1c1930-3.jpg

LawyersBuildingStateTheater2c1930-3.jpg

StateTheatreInteriorc1920-320SSa-1.jpg

StateTheatreInteriorc1920-320SSalis.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Justice Center Could Take Big Step Forward

Wake County is ready to take a major step in moving forward with the delayed Justice Center project in downtown Raleigh.

The 11-story, $210 million building will replace the existing courthouse on Fayetteville Street.

Wake County Director of Facilities Design and Construction Phil Stout said the design is now complete, and the county is ready to apply for building permits.

• 6 months later...

Archived