Height Limits for Jax's Intracoastal Waterway?

bobliocatt

I am aware that Jacksonville and Neptune Beach are dense and clustered. I was actually just referring to Atlantic Beach alone and it is somewhat unfourtunate what has happened with the zoning of residences in Jacksonville and Neptune Beach. The future mayor is well aware of the Mayport porject because he is a member of the Mayport Waterfront Partnership Group that is in charge of redeveloping the Mayport area with proper architecture. Also, from what I hnave read, he may found a historical society to help keep some of the older, historical homes from being replaced by McMansions. The beach, in Atlantic Beach, is easy access because of the parking and accesses at almost every street end. Unfortunately, these areas are not used that often because they are so far north of where people go to visit the beach (Jacksonville Beach).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for the sake of adding visual descriptions:

Here's a typical oceanfront aerial of our beaches. As you can clearly see, the oceanfront view has been eliminated from Beach Avenue.

atlanticbeachaerial6tb.jpg

Here's an aerial of Miami Beach. While the community is denser and has buildings over 35ft, the beach is a lot more accessible to the general public.

miamibeachaerial3ad.jpg

Imo, height isn't the issue its being made out to be. Zoning, in the form of architectual quality, poor landing planning and building setbacks should be of more importance.

Pic #2 is the way Jax beach should be. Neptune doesn't want the draw that Jax Beach gets. They want to be the private gated community with single family residences dominating the seaside. Jax beach should be allowed some height variations west of first street. I would hope that the city would buy up more oceanfront land for parks for provide some incremental openings. That bad things is that they rely too heavily on the taxes generated from beachfront properties.

That is not the case with Neptune and Atlantic Beach. They are primarily small, single family residences with a town center feel. Each one of the communities (AB, JB, and NB) are separate towns with their own governments. It isn't the fact that NB or AB want to be gated at all, it is just that high-rise condominums do not belong there. With Jax Beach, they should develop a larger oceanfront park and boardwalk where large scale condominuims already exist. They have a park, but they could increase its size (north to south). Also, as I have said before, they should have zoned an area to build high-rises instead of letting developments continue to sprawl and eat up the beaches. I would like to see a better boardwalk where there already is one and a better oceanfront park where it already exists. Jax Beach has a chace to improve some mistakes by letting the developments sprawl with creating a "town center" feel around Beach Boulevard. Atlantic Beach and Neptune Beach do not need to go through with that because they are small residences.

It does need to develop commerically in a specific zone where it would benfit the city and the surrouning areas as well. Perhaps setting aside an area that goes a couple blocks north and south of Beach Boulevard would work. I would hate to see it sprawl like some of the residential developments in Jax Beach.

What's done is done in all three areas. We can't demo the beachfront properties in these areas and start over. I can understand keeping Neptune and Atlantic beaches as is, however, Jax Beach should not be under such strict height limitations. NB and AB are also wrought with military concerns being so close to Mayport and may also be restricted federally (not sure). Jax beach should be able to grow as does it's big brother. In order to create a more lively urban atmosphere, pedestrian interaction is paramount. The higher the population and the more walkable the city is, the more lively it will become. Jax beach has to preserve what it can as parks and ocean access and at the same time has to live up to the fact that it will grow taller and thicker. Single story residences are fine for NG and AB but not for Jax Beach.

I disagree with some parts of what you said because most of Jacksonville Beach are small single family homes (east of third street). However, I may sound like a broken record when I say this. I suggest that the city of Jacksonville Beach set aside a zone for larger residential development east of third street and a couple of blocks to the north and south. A commerical zone that stretches along Beach Blvd and portions of A1A, from the Intracoastal, would also be sufficient. Aside from that, the homes should stay where they are. They already have an oceanfront park and a boardwalk; however, they could improve upon them.

Archived