Katrina Evacuees, what's your city doing?

The_sandlapper

I've noticed the past couple of days in the state news paper that SC is preparing for Gulf Coast refugees. So I'm just curious what has your city done to prepare for their arrival, and have you seen any. I know for example Richland Co. is expecting some to come through the hospitals, and children to be enrolled in school here. So what's going on in your town?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed the past couple of days in the state news paper that SC is preparing for Gulf Coast refugees. So I'm just curious what has your city done to prepare for their arrival, and have you seen any. I know for example Richland Co. is expecting some to come through the hospitals, and children to be enrolled in school here. So what's going on in your town?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are not refugees...They are American Citizens...You cannot be a refugee in your own country...Sorry but the use of the word is annoying when refering to American citizens in their own country as refugees its good to see Richland County helping out the evacuees.

Two York County officials are recovering the bodies of those killed by Hurricane Katrina's effects. Cotton Howell, York County's emergency management director, has been put in charge of all recovery and mortuary operations east of the Mississippi River. Howell and York County Coroner Doug McKown are part of FEMA's Disaster Mortuary Operational Response Teams, or DMORT.

Fourteen Vietnamese Nuns from New Orleans are now residing at The Oratory in Rock Hill, a Catholic ministry. Several of the younger nuns are attending my school, Winthrop University, free of charge.

South Carolina State University in Orangeburg has provided displaced Gulf Coast college students with free tuition.

They are not refugees...They are American Citizens...You cannot be a refugee in your own country...Sorry but the use of the word is annoying when refering to American citizens in their own country as refugees its good to see Richland County helping out the evacuees.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry bout that professor?

But like I was saying there seems to be so much activity going on in the south in relation to Katrina. I did find it funny that some ended up in WV instead of SC.

I have seen alot of them here in G'ville at County Square. They were trying get assistance with permanent housing and employment. Stating that they couldn't see going back after being here for any drawn out period of time. Some say they could be here for up to six to eight months. I do understand why that would be difficult.

• 4 months later...

Archived