Celebration on the Grand

GRDadof3

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You really need to keep up, Rizzo!  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm... I think Rizzo misread the post due to grdadslack of punctuation. :D

I don't know what is happening there this weekend regarding Celebration, but there are loads of people downtown right now. I wish I had my camera and the day off.

Hmm... I think Rizzo misread the post due to grdadslack of punctuation. :D

I don't know what is happening there this weekend regarding Celebration, but there are loads of people downtown right now.  I wish I had my camera and the day off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could always check the website. But let me warn you, it's uhm.. an interesting site. It's really hard to read and really hard to navigate:

http://www.celebrationonthegrand.org/

post celebration report--the good and the bad

dinner at Leo's, nice atmosphere, but the fish was not as great as I've had elsewhere (marketed as "fresh"but I always wonder how they define it--is one or two days old still fresh?)... bar should be real nice location once the art museum is finished...

wandered over to Rosa Parks circle--nice friendly crowd, then past the Amway to the Pearl Bridge to see how crowded it was in front of the GFord, decided would rather watch from the other side by the convention center...

tried to go through the Amway to enjoy the lobby and skywalk to progress north, but attendant sized me up (with my canvas chair on my back) as rifraf I guess, and didn't want to admit me--despite the fact I have spent countless monies at meals and events there over the years... I was going to insist on going in to buy mints at the newsshop, but my spouse thought they were being so rude she just gave a withering look to the attendant and pulled me back to the sidewalk... amway still has a lot to learn about getting into the spirit of things and going with the flow--i can be as snobby as the next person when I want to be (I own a tux folks), but really resent their attitude...

ended up just south of the michigan bridge on the east side, great fireworks display, just the right length, great pacing and finale... they waited too late to start (about 45 minutes too late, at 9:15)) , while the band in the park finished its act. They didn't seem to realize 90% of the crowd could care less about the band, since most of the crowd was dispersed eveywhere, and just wanted it to start at dusk (8:30)...hope they fix that next year...

..learned afterward of the person injured in front of the Ford--do recall seeing one firework that acted like a dud about midway through the performance, so suspect that the trajectory of that one was probably too low--just goes to show you got to stay alert despite everyone's best intentions...

--overall a great night--river looks very romantic with the bridgelights, and they do turn them off before the show (including the carousel lights), but they should have also turned off the street lights in front of the convention center..

:)

Archived