Charlotte Retailers to watch

appatone

The main purpose of this thread would be to open a discussion about what Charlotte based small retailers we should watch and see grow into larger brands. Which small retailers are expanding or becoming chains etc.? Which small businesses should chain and what would be an appropriate location for them to expand to and all things like that. What can other small retailers learn from successful small retailers in Charlotte and how can we promote a thriving local retail scene?

I read an article about Lotus which is the clothing brand from here in Charlotte. These are the folks behind Urban Evolution on Central (now called Lotus) and Civilian in Phillips Place. I was in Dilworth and saw they were opening a location in Latta Pavillion, I think they also have a location in Birkdale now. It looks like they are continuing to grow and the article mentioned a Los Angeles location in the works. I think this creative growth of a business is something Charlotteans should be proud of and it looks like we will be seeing Lotus eventually popping up in the national spotlight.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess hipsters buy well when they shop or something.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't even say hipsters. It's a very small store, only for women and I rarely see people there. They have mostly flowy skirts and tops, kind of dressy things. I've never been in, so I don't know how the prices are. It's open fairly late on the weekends--later than everything else on Central.

I wouldn't even say hipsters. It's a very small store, only for women and I rarely see people there. They have mostly flowy skirts and tops, kind of dressy things. I've never been in, so I don't know how the prices are. It's open fairly late on the weekends--later than everything else on Central.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was under the impression that lotus was unisex and hipster-friendly like Civilian. My bad.

Still, if they have their own in-house design team, that could take Lotus far. Having a point of view never hurt a retailer.

I was under the impression that lotus was unisex and hipster-friendly like Civilian.  My bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not unisex, but it's definitely hipster-friendly. They carry lines like Miss Sixty, Diesel and PDC. That kind of stuff. It's a lot like Bill Hallman in Atlanta. I don't like Lotus (or Bill Hallman for that matter) since it's not really my style. My favorite shop in Charlotte is Capital. That's more my taste. :) Capital could definitely expand. They're more like Intermix or Jeffrey.

It's not unisex, but it's definitely hipster-friendly. They carry lines like Miss Sixty,  Diesel and PDC. That kind of stuff. It's a lot like Bill Hallman in Atlanta. I don't like Lotus (or Bill Hallman for that matter) since it's not really my style. My favorite shop in Charlotte is Capital. That's more my taste. :) Capital could definitely expand. They're more like Intermix or Jeffrey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The ownsers of capitol are clients at our salon. They are really nice, and that's also a great clothing store for women I would say. I just like the fact that lotus is designing some of their own stuff.

My favorite shop in Charlotte is Capital. That's more my taste. :) Capital could definitely expand. They're more like Intermix or Jeffrey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Barbara McKay wears stuff from Capitol all the time on the pages of SouthPark Luxury Living magazine all the time and she's a woman of excellent taste like you, girly.

Barbara McKay wears stuff from Capitol all the time on the pages of SouthPark Luxury Living magazine all the time and she's a woman of excellent taste like you, girly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why thank you. :) I'll take a look at SP's magazine. I've only flipped through one briefly at Border's so I'm not too familiar with it. I normally read Charlotte magazine instead.

Capital is a wonderful boutique. I do think they (or someone) needs to open a male counterpart. (Or did I miss it??) A store that caters solely to men and their upscale shopping needs. I know there are men out there who would prefer Christian Dior jeans over something like Diesel. Not that Diesel is bad, but some men find they are better suited for the youngsters. ;)

Capital is a wonderful boutique. I do think they (or someone) needs to open a male counterpart. (Or did I miss it??) A store that caters solely to men and their upscale shopping needs. I know there are men out there who would prefer Christian Dior jeans over something like Diesel. Not that Diesel is bad, but some men find they are better suited for the youngsters.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. I'm not old by any stretch, but I'm over Diesel. ;)

Taylor, Richards & Conger, which is relocating to Phillips Place from Specialty Shops at The Park, is a little like the ideal upscale men's boutique you described. When they reopen, though, they will have merged with Carriage on The Park and have a women's section.

Sloan, Step by Sloan and Potion (all at Twin Oaks in Dilworth) are top-tier stores. I know the girls (and guy) that own all three and they kick ass for women's wear. Sloan and Step (their shoe store) are getting ready to expand (in the same center) and have hired a talented architect to design the new space. An added bonus for guys going shopping with their gf's: the Sloan girls are HOT!

• 2 weeks later...

Taylor Richards and Conger will be moving to Phillips Place on the 15th. If you have a couple of extra thousand dollars hanging around, go buy a pair of shoes there. Seriously, a great men's store, but who can afford anything in it? Atlrvr and I did make it over to their big moving sale last month and get some cool stuff (I got two pairs of shoes for $160...original price would have been $600), but there is no way in heck I could ever pay full price for a shirt there and still pay the rent. Still the new space is really cool. Go check em out.

Archived