why is spartanburg called "sparkle city"?

jaxpalmer

I'm here from san francisco, this area is pretty nice, very different from what i thought it would be. The people here are SUPER friendly, in the bay area everyone is afraid of each other, it really is like a different world over here. I'm enjoying the accents too. Anyways, i hear spartanburg being called "sparkle city" sometimes, where did it get this name from?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is believed that the term "Sparkle City" came from a popular band in the 20's called the 'Sparkletones,' who were from Spartanburg. 8)

I'm glad you are enjoying Spartanburg's southern hospitality :)

I have havent said it before, welcome to UP jax :)

If anyone else has heard of a different origin for that name I would be interested to hear it.

I'm here from san francisco, this area is pretty nice, very different from what i thought it would be.  The people here are SUPER friendly, in the bay area everyone is afraid of each other, it really is like a different world over here.  I'm enjoying the accents too.  Anyways, i hear spartanburg being called "sparkle city" sometimes, where did it get this name from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to UP and to South Carolina. I'm sure the fine folks in Spartanburg will treat you well. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know how many outside of the people who live or lived their us them, a lot of SC towns and cities have nicknames.

Greenville - G-Vegas

Spartanburg - Sparkle City

Columbia - The Metro

Florence - Flo-town

Aiken - A-town

Rock Hill - The Rock

Charleston - Chucktown, The Charley'O, The Port City

Rock Hill has had less flattering names, but I'm not sure I'm familiar with 'The Rock'. My only memory was actually the Hickory NC based rock station that called itself that. But regarding city nicknames that are in fact unique & are widely accepted - Spartanburg's Sparkle City ranks up there, along with Chucktown & possilby even Cola.

Archived