Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jaxpalmer

why is spartanburg called "sparkle city"?

19 posts in this topic

I'm here from san francisco, this area is pretty nice, very different from what i thought it would be. The people here are SUPER friendly, in the bay area everyone is afraid of each other, it really is like a different world over here. I'm enjoying the accents too. Anyways, i hear spartanburg being called "sparkle city" sometimes, where did it get this name from?

It is believed that the term "Sparkle City" came from a popular band in the 20's called the 'Sparkletones,' who were from Spartanburg. 8)

I'm glad you are enjoying Spartanburg's southern hospitality :)

I have havent said it before, welcome to UP jax :)

If anyone else has heard of a different origin for that name I would be interested to hear it.

Don't know much about the origin. I've just never been fond of the nickname. It sounds like a 70's throughback.

was that the 20s?

is that where joe bennet and the sparkletones got their name?

I'm here from san francisco, this area is pretty nice, very different from what i thought it would be.  The people here are SUPER friendly, in the bay area everyone is afraid of each other, it really is like a different world over here.  I'm enjoying the accents too.  Anyways, i hear spartanburg being called "sparkle city" sometimes, where did it get this name from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to UP and to South Carolina. I'm sure the fine folks in Spartanburg will treat you well. :thumbsup:

was that the 20s?

is that where joe bennet and the sparkletones got their name?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought it was the other way around?

joe bennet and the sparkletones were, 70s i think... i went to school with joe bennet's kids, so thats about the right time...

i always did wonder about this myself

Funny-- I thought this was new urban lingo. I've heard a lot of young kids use the term "Sparkle City" or "Spark City" for short.

That's what I've always thought as well. At my alma mater, whenever we did the roll call for certain cities, "Sparkle City" referred to Spartanburg, "The Metro" referred to Columbia, and "Chucktown" referred to Charleston.

Now you know:) Almost everyone back in Spartanburg knows that its also called Sparkle City. Urban lingo or youth talk doesn't really apply for the origin here.

I've never heard of Columbia as "The Metro" outside reading it on UP.

I don't know how many outside of the people who live or lived their us them, a lot of SC towns and cities have nicknames.

Greenville - G-Vegas

Spartanburg - Sparkle City

Columbia - The Metro

Florence - Flo-town

Aiken - A-town

Rock Hill - The Rock

Charleston - Chucktown, The Charley'O, The Port City

I guess I missed the boat on 'the metro'

As did I...and my 20-something girlfriend from Columbia. :whistling:

Thought they called it "Cola-town"?

Rock Hill has had less flattering names, but I'm not sure I'm familiar with 'The Rock'. My only memory was actually the Hickory NC based rock station that called itself that. But regarding city nicknames that are in fact unique & are widely accepted - Spartanburg's Sparkle City ranks up there, along with Chucktown & possilby even Cola.

Thought they called it "Cola-town"?

They do. I have also heard Cola-ville though that version is much less frequent than Cola town.

Now why on earth would they be called cola town :rolleyes: