hey all you yankees, listen up!

Newnan

I think you need to get a broader view of the world.  Rather than asking what people think of you why don't you broaden your own horizons?

Traditional 'Yankees' live in the maritime New England states not including Maine.

'Yorkers' live in New York state, some parts of eastern Pennsylvania, western Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Virginians live in Virginians and should never be called Rebs.

Rebs live in Georgia, Alabama, northern Florida, norther Mississippi, two spots in Arkansas.

Southerners live on the coast of South Carolina, North Carolina (but don't confuse Tarheels or Free Carolinians with the Charleston crowd), southern Mississippi, southern Alabama (in spots), central Florida, large patches of Texas, all of Arkansas, a bit of Oklahoma and some parts of Ohio - okay - all of Ohio but don't ask me how they got there.

Then you have the westerners.  They live in the western half of Texas and the rest of that bunch of states all the way to the Pacific Ocean.

When you get comfortable with your neighbors then you can start baiting the Yankees - but let me tell you - you don't want to mess with those folks and you probably won't meet a real live one here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's no need to get all technical, I know what you mean, but here in the south, basically anyone who isn't from the south is a yankee, I know It's kinda dumb but that's just the mentality. AS for the rebs and southerners thing, I've lived here all my life and never even heard about that distiction. We all just consider eachother southerners, some call themselves rebels, but they don't have to live in a certain place.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

]

PghUSA:  You keep stating that Ted Turner is a northerner because he was born in Cincinnati, but this is simply not true.  While he was born in Cincinnati, his parents are from the South and were up there working at the time.  When Ted was 8, they moved back to Georgia (the South) where they were originally from (the South). 

This is all I could find to document this:  http://www.adherents.com/people/pt/Ted_Turner.html

As for sprawl, I think this not a Southern or Northern problem, but an American one.  No one is blameless on this front.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Instead of worrying about Ted Turner, one might find it interesting to ask Pghusa where he lives. It will lay to rest the arguments about Yankees chasing Southern money. :thumbsup:

^^wasn't this who? isn't that past-tense? Or is someone going to do a Westinghouse Blvd. for me . . . I can see it now . . . PGHUSA BLVD. :)

I'm glad to see I finally persuaded you Metro, you are one of the smartest guys I've ever encountered and I appreciate your intellect. Yankee money BUILDING the south October 2005 here I come.

Going to a college founded by Connecticut missionaries and launched with the funds of a Chicago industrialist, with its chief donors being the New York Chemical Company Olin. The first father-daughter broadcast team attended there, as well as the host of the longest running children's program in world history, and the highest rated sportstalk host in metro NY radio--all Yankees who helped spread some of their talents in the south. I naturally followed.

I appreciate the kudos Metro, but I still think I have some polishing off in store before I take my place among those "Yankees who built the south". :thumbsup:

Lady,

I do have to give you one thing, your fun to chat with.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I hear that alot. Just kidding......thanks for the compliment....I think it was a compliment. :blush:

Amyway, PghUSA hurry up and come south. Bring all your northern money and turn it into even more money. What I would like for you to do then is to build a 90 story condominium building with a two story Target, restaurant, and art gallery on ground level in Midtown Atlanta and let me market the project. You can call it [Your last name] Tower. It will be the finest residential building in Atlanta and we will owe it all to you.....and of course your northern money. :lol:

Oddly enough, Atlanta's current mayor is from Philadelphia....go figure.

Oh, but why "aristocratic"? But anyways, I dont think there is much difference now, or is it? :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rusthebuss is right regarding the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The northern colonies were established by people fleeing persecution in England. They were by definition outside of the ruling class in England. On the other hand, the southern colonies were founded by members of the aristocracy as speculative ventures. Southern colonists wanted to recreate the aristrocratic way of life they had known in England, while the northerners were trying to escape the hardships they had faced on the other side of that system.

You can see this if you look at northern vs. southern art and architecture of the pre-revolutionary period. Works produced in the north are closely related to those of the English upper class, while works from the north are more closely related to those of the English common vernacular.

To answer the original question, as a Northerner who has spent several years living in Montgomery and Biloxi, and currently has family in Norfolk, I can say that both the north and south have their charms and their faults. There is some truth to the many stereotypes each has of the other, though all are overblown. I agree that the rivalry should have been put to rest ages ago.

In response to the growth thing, its obvious that northern cities and southern cities grew differently. Northern cities developed before the days of suburbia so it is not as sprawled out, Southern cities developed after that, so there are more aspects of sprawling suburbia out here. Each way has its cons.

Urban sprawl (North)

Pros:

- Less car oriented

-More sense of community

Cons:

-Often too crowded

-Can be dirty

Suburban Sprawl (South)

Pros:

-More greenery

-more space

Cons:

-More car oriented

-Less sense of community

As for Yankee vs. Southern Money:

Yes, the north started most of the industries and we can never forget that, but now many southern cities have economies all their own. So bottom line, Yankee money and Dixie money feed off of eachother. We need both to keep the economy strong.

-There, I hope that solves everyone's problems. I didn't want this thread to become a stupid Yankee vs. Dixie thing, I just wanted it to be a friendly converstaion pointing out differences between our areas of the country, but I guess people still want to hold on to the civil war. Even me, I'm to blame also. I got in a heated debate about southern sprawl! Anyway, I just want all us Yanks and Rebs to get along.

No idea what that is....
The War Of Northern Aggression: this would be when the South was invaded by the North in an attempt to forceably keep us in the Union.

hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif I want some of what your smoking. hysterical.gif

palmer: Laugh and roll on the floor all you want, but, between 1789 and 1837, 5 of 7 US Presidents were Southerners. Since 1963, 5 of 8 US Presidents have been Southerners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Us_presidents...phical_timeline

Also, the current Senate Majority Leader, Bill Frist, is from Tennessee. I think all of this clearly indicates a shift in political power back to the South (regardless of ideology, this is clearly true). By the way, the last US President from the Northeast was elected in 1960 - 45 years ago.

Again, I am not interested in re-fighting the War, I was just responding to some previous posts.

I think what those maps show the most are that poverty and intelligence/opportunity (shown through the high school graduate map, somewhat) in this country seem to be worse off in rural areas. Notice the low poverty percentages for areas where major cities exist and the accompanying high graduation rates.

This topic was going way off subject. I think the question was: "what do you think of us?"

Southerners may not like the answers, and the answers may even be more perception than reality but that was the question.

Numerous of my "Nothern" friends joke that we wonder why we fought to keep the union together. Was the south really worth it? LOL --of course we are joking, but when it comes to equality, education, health, and numerous other measures of a prosperous and healthy society, the south is not exactly a leader.

I also can't help but notice that the South has very few colleges and universities listed in at the top of most college lists.  Based on the size of the area they should have more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Au contrare! As a law student at UNC, one of our nations proudest and most respected institutions of higher learning, I take exception to that pompous and misinformed remark. Let's not forget our fine southern schools, just some of which include:

UNC - Chapel Hill

Duke (a.k.a. University of New Jersey at Durham :P )

Wake Forest

Davidson College (near Charlotte)

Emory

University of Georgia

Georgia Tech

Vanderbilt

University of Virginia

College of William and Mary

Washington and Lee University

So, to all you Yankees who so often look down on southerners for being small-minded and less educated, you'd be smart to think before you speak. I should add that not everyone in these well educated towns is liberal thinking or associates themselves with the North in terms of general mentality toward life. The South has a proud tradition of education and thoughtful conservatism all it's own.

THis is for everybody who doesn't live in the south: Okay, I'm sure all of you have heard of big ciites in the south Like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, and New Orleans :cry: , But do you still think that the south is still mainly rural? Besides that, what do you think of us? i'd like to hear your opinion

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello Newnan! I'm from Ca. I live in the foothills of the sierra. I try to keep an open mind when it comes to judging anyone until I get to know them. I know there are alot of rumors about everybody everywhere. We in California have alot of critics I know :) How ever if a person got to know me I think they would like me (I would like to think so anyway). I try to be down home, friendly, curtious and most of all Real. So just wanted to say hi and I'll let you know what I think of you if we ever meet :) .

Personally,

I could care less about the North vs. South debate. I've only been to the south one time (to Memphis and New Orleans in 2001) and I loved it. What money doesn't provide, the peoples' hospitality and warm culture make up for.

Personally, I would never live in the south for climatic reasons (and also a little political, but I won't stray there.) I'm a winter guy. I like skiing, snowmobiling, ice fishing, winter camping, snowshoeing... things that cannot be done in the south. I have to live somewhere where i can be closely connected with the outdoors, and I don't htink I could get that in the south like I can here in Minnesota.

I will say this, however: I am content where I live. I have never lived in the south, so I can't comment on quality of life, other than that I have cousins and an aunt and uncle in Louisiana, and my cousins are all very uneducated and very poor. But they are hardly a representation of the populace. My family is also poor, but poor by Minnesotan standards means something completely different. We simply cannot sustain the level of poverty that warmer climates have because people would simply die.

That is why you don't see the sad, dilapitated trailer parks that you find in points further south and west.

And about calling the Civil War the war of Northern Aggression: Fancy us a bit and give it up. There is no excuse for slavery whether the Bible or whatever book you choose to read says it's okay (or at least not wrong) or not. I can quite soundly say, that both sides were aggresive during the civil war.

Au contrare!  As a law student at UNC, one of our nations proudest and most respected institutions of higher learning, I take exception to that pompous and misinformed remark.  Let's not forget our fine southern schools, just some of which include:

UNC - Chapel Hill

Duke (a.k.a. University of New Jersey at Durham  :P )

Wake Forest

Emory

University of Georgia

Georgia Tech

Vanderbilt

University of Virginia

So, to all you Yankees who so often look down on southerners for being small-minded and less educated, you'd be smart to think before you speak.  I should add that not everyone in these well educated towns is liberal thinking or associates themselves with the North in terms of general mentality toward life.  The South has a proud tradition of education and thoughtful conservatism all it's own.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Going back to the question... it asked about impressions Notherners have about the South--The question was not whether the perceptions were 100% true.

Besides, I did not say you had no good schools -- I simply said you had fewer than other regions. Check the rankings at US News and World reports and you'll see that the South is not represented as frequently as other parts of the country --especially considering its population.

Finally, the map attached to a previous posting does strikingly show that the education level in the South is lower than the rest of the nation. You may not like the facts, but the map is a fact! Does it mean everyone is dumb -- of course not. But it does mean that as a whole the south is less educated. You can pretend it is not so, but that does not change the facts.

From my experience density and suburban sprawl aren't characteristics of any region. Urbanism comes with age and any city that was of significant size, before WWII has a denser core than cities that grew up in the past 50 years. From New Orleans, San Fransico, Charleston, Richmond, Cincinnati to Pittsburgh and Washington DC, the region the city is in really doesn't matter. Its all about the age the city grew up in or having a limited availability of land (ex. Miami). For sprawl, the same applies....for example Chicagoland and metro Detroit sprawl just as bad as Phoenix and Houston.

And about calling the Civil War the war of Northern Aggression: Fancy us a bit and give it up. There is no excuse for slavery whether the Bible or whatever book you choose to read says it's okay (or at least not wrong) or not. I can quite soundly say, that both sides were aggresive during the civil war.
Slavery has existed throughout all of human history (and still exists to this day in parts of Africa). I think it is accurate to say that everyone alive today is descended from at least one slave, considering the fact that it has been practiced by all races everywhere at some time. The people in the South at the time of the War did not create slavery either in the world or in America, though many did perpetuate it. Southern leaders simply favored social and economic stability and there was no good way out of slavery at that time. Does this mean that I am in favor of slavery? No, of course not. I wish it had never occurred. But, this does explain why it existed.

For more on the history of slavery, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery

Having said that, you only have to look to Lincoln's own words to show that he was not motivated by a desire to free the slaves. He stated he would leave all the slaves in bondage if that meant preserving the Union. Union was Lincoln's main goal, not freeing the slaves. Another dirty little secret not well known today, is that many free soil abolitionists actually opposed slavery because they just did not want blacks in their states or territories. So, the North was neither pure nor without its own problems. And, but for Lincoln's call for volunteers to suppress the South, there would have been no War at all. It would have been as peaceful as the Slovaks separating from the Czechs. (See the "Velvet Divorce": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velvet_Divorce )

Hence the "War of Northern Aggression".

The phrase "civil war" denotes a situation where you have one country with two factions fighting for control of the whole. In the 1861-1865 War, the Southern States were attempting to separate. This is the important distinction. As Jefferson Davis said: "All we ask is to be left alone".

Finally, the map attached to a previous posting does strikingly show that the education level in the South is lower than the rest of the nation. You may not like the facts, but the map is a fact! Does it mean everyone is dumb -- of course not. But it does mean that as a whole the south is less educated. You can pretend it is not so, but that does not change the facts.

If you compare urban areas in the North to urban areas in the South, the South compares quite well. Rural to rural, the South fares much worse. One reason for this (that we are not supposed to talk about) is that we have very high numbers of minorities in the South who have traditionally not been as educated (either through active discrimination by whites or for other reasons). So, this drags down the averages. I would bet if you compared apples to apples, i.e. similar racial/economic groups in the South and the North you would find similar numbers or possible a Southern advantage. This would be interesting to see and far more informative.

Au contrare!  As a law student at UNC, one of our nations proudest and most respected institutions of higher learning, I take exception to that pompous and misinformed remark.  Let's not forget our fine southern schools, just some of which include:

UNC - Chapel Hill

Duke (a.k.a. University of New Jersey at Durham  :P )

Wake Forest

Emory

University of Georgia

Georgia Tech

Vanderbilt

University of Virginia

So, to all you Yankees who so often look down on southerners for being small-minded and less educated, you'd be smart to think before you speak.  I should add that not everyone in these well educated towns is liberal thinking or associates themselves with the North in terms of general mentality toward life.  The South has a proud tradition of education and thoughtful conservatism all it's own.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The south has some great schools, I went to one afterall, but the state of Pennsylvania by itself has as much academic talent as the whole south. If you seriously look at the US News and World Report rankings of colleges and Universities you will notice that the Northeast and Industrial Mid-west crowds the top of every ranking, major universities, state schools, liberal arts colleges, regional colleges, med schools, law schools, enginnering schools, arts schools, business schools, etc. etc.

It is well known that single northern states have as much academic talent as whole regions of the south and west.

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Carnegie Mellon, Brown, Penn, Columbia, Chicago U., Notre Dame, Michigan, Villa Nova, Temple, we can list and list all day check the US News rankings this year, last year, 10 years ago etc. there is no way with those stats you can infer anything BUT the north being primary in academics.

The south has some great schools, I went to one afterall, but the state of Pennsylvania by itself has as much academic talent as the whole south. If you seriously look at the US News and World Report rankings of colleges and Universities you will notice that the Northeast and Industrial Mid-west crowds the top of every ranking, major universities, state schools, liberal arts colleges, regional colleges, med schools, law schools, enginnering schools, arts schools, business schools, etc. etc.
The only source you cite is a tabloid. We might as well be talking about Paris Hilton.

but the state of Pennsylvania by itself has as much academic talent as the whole south.

:sick:

Ah, how I love your justifications for slavery and your spin on the Civil War to make it sound like the north were hte bad guys and the southerners were simply innocent, hard working people that wanted ecnomic stability.

Sorry, ain't buyin' it. But oh well, you can have those opinions if you want to, as long as you live in the south.

Archived