Elliot Park Neighborhood

nickmgray

I'm not sure if anyone has thie information, but I was wondering what the current population of Elliot Park Neighborhood is. I was on thei web site earlier today looking for it but came up with nothing. At any rate, it seems like this is probably going to be the fastest growning neighborhood in the city if all the proposed projects get built.

On Google Maps I think I've located 6, possibly 7 surface parking lots that could be used for potential devlopment. This gives the neighborhoos a great chance for further expansion in the decades to come.

• 4 months later...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Census 2000 information, the population of the Elliot Park neighborhood was 6,476. However, keep in mind that this neighborhood has a large Somali population; one that was severely misrepresented in the 2000 census. I'm guessing the total number was closer to 7,200. I'm sure the number is pushing 8,000+ today.

• 1 month later...

Also take into consideration that North Central University on Elliot Ave has about 1100 student who live on campus who all claim residency at their parents homes. I'd say that there is the possability of 8-9 thousand people in the neighborhood. Given that it is inevitable that move projects will pop up over the next few years, I think this will be one of the most populated aeras in minneapolis. I just hope that they get it right and bring some retail to the area so that there can be file on the streets unlike the warehouse district.

I just hope that they get it right and bring some retail to the area so that there can be file on the streets unlike the warehouse district.

I think this will happen. Elliot Park feels more like an established neighborhood, even in its 'up and coming' status. The Warehouse District will never come around, I'm afraid. I never see anybody milling about. Ever. Doesn't matter what shops sprout up. I think I saw 3 people walk into Marysburg coffee shop once, LOL. That was quite 'neighborhoody' to see.

• 1 month later...

So true...I live over in the warehouse district...even with all of the people living here it is still dead! I don't get it? Maybe if there was more street level retail that would help. I don't get it.

Then again, I went to the Band Box for the first time last week. I'll be frank, I did not feel safe over there at all.

• 3 weeks later...

So true...I live over in the warehouse district...even with all of the people living here it is still dead! I don't get it? Maybe if there was more street level retail that would help. I don't get it.

Then again, I went to the Band Box for the first time last week. I'll be frank, I did not feel safe over there at all.

I'll be missing the Band Box when I move in a few weeks. It was actually the first place I ate at in Minneapolis when I moved here. I lived in the Pillipps Dorm hall at North Central University basically right across the street from the Band Box.

Most people who actually eat at the Band Box don't even live in the neighborhood. Ove the years I've watched as people pull up in delivery trucks to get a quick breakfast or lunch and the best crowds are always on Saturday morning when you see some BMW's and Benz's stop by for some good old greasy breakfast.

The Band Box is safe. I've lived by it for more than five years and I've never had or seen any problems. Just don't get caught walking through Elliot Park in the middle of the night cause that's a completely different story.

Archived