Chicago Developments

nickmgray

Checkout the development overview: Bridgeport Village

It is a development (at build-out) of approx. 350 single-family homes in the Chicago neighborhood of Bridgeport. This location is about 4 miles southwest of the Loop and is built on old industrial land adjacent to Bubbly Creek (a tributary of the South Branch of the Chicago River).

It is one of the best examples of TND that I have seen. It is built right into the existing street grid of the neighborhood and has alleys with actually functional rear yards. unlike many TNDs with attached garages off alleys that completely kill the rear yards.

My understanding is that the houess are selling easily and going for over $600,000 for even the smallest units.

An aerial of the development site from 2002. The site is the area within the red lines:

BPVaerial.jpg

Here are some photos I took recently:

Sept_18_035.jpg

Sept_18_034.jpg

Sept_18_033.jpg

Sept_18_031.jpg

Sept_18_032.jpg

Sept_18_030.jpg

Sept_18_029.jpg

Sept_18_028.jpg

Sept_18_027.jpg

Sept_18_026.jpg

Sept_18_025.jpg

Sept_18_024.jpg

Sept_18_036.jpg

Sept_18_037.jpg

Here are some the existing housing across the street from the development:

Sept_18_039.jpg

Sept_18_043.jpg

Sept_18_041.jpg

Sept_18_040.jpg

This picture acutally shows how intergrated the development is with the existing neighborhood.

Its kind of weird to see a development of $600,000 plus homes going into an area where the surrounding houses look kind of shabby and run down. Is this Gentrification in action?

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

Figured Id just bump this thread instead of creating a new one.

A couple images of the next towers to come in Central Station.

Grant Park Tower 3 - 73 stories & 790 ft

GrantParkTowerHR.jpg

Grant Park Tower 4 - 83 stories & 900 ft (No official design yet. Just massing)

CentralStationStreetwall.jpg

If Im remembering correctly, they may start marketing as soon as 2008 for GP3. Even though the masterplan for Central Station is approved, the developers will have to seek individual approval for each tower as they are seeking height increases.

Has anyone heard more news about the plans at Wolf Point? There was an article a couple of months ago. Just wondering if anyone's heard any rumblings about it. The only thing I remember is that it'll consist of 2 or more towers with the tallest coming in at 89 stories. I believe that one will have hotel/condo and I think office so this one may come in over 1,000 ft. Ceasr Pelli is the architect btw. I like his work even if it has become very petitive.

Regarding Grant Park Tower, I'm happy to see the southern side of the park getting some love. I used to take the red line to the Jewel at Roosevelt and State just when the condo boom was beginning in this area. It was amazing to see just how much had been built as of last summer (my last visit).

Regarding Grant Park Tower, I'm happy to see the southern side of the park getting some love. I used to take the red line to the Jewel at Roosevelt and State just when the condo boom was beginning in this area. It was amazing to see just how much had been built as of last summer (my last visit).

It feels like Im overloading this page with too many images. Do any of you guys know any more about this project, specifically what stage its in in relation to reality? Its a Smith & Gill design.

SmithGillCleanEnergyTower.jpg

SmithGillCleanEnergyTowerII.jpg

SmithGillCleanEnergyTowerIV.jpg

SmithGillCleanEnergyTowerV.jpg

And I think this is cool. I think its a fresh take on Burnham's Plan.

SmithGillEco-Bridge.jpg

EDIT: Speaking of Adrian Smith, he's supposed to be the lead architect on a project called Franklin Point. Its projected to cost nearly $2 billion and consist of 3.5 million sq. ft. of space for office, retail, and condos/apts. Its supposed to include a marina as well. Its supposed include up to 8 buildings with the tallest most likely exceeding 80 stories. We may be waiting a little while for more concrete info on this. I really hope it comes to fruition. That lot and area would definitely benefit, and may actually breed street life, from this project.

Okay guys/gals, there are a ton of projects Im leaving out but will, over time, add to the thread. There are rumors of a few more super-talls as well. We'll see how those go. I'll try my best to keep this updated as much as possible and participate throughout the forum. Btw, where are all of the Chicago/Illinois forumers?

Btw, where are all of the Chicago/Illinois forumers?

This the newest forum here on UP so it will likely take some time to build up a community for it but with persistence it hopefully shouldn't take too long. Thanks for all of the projects you've posted about!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Although Block 37 is turning out to be quite a dud architecturally, but its lining up some decent retail that'll help State St in the end. The articles are a week old but figured peole would want to know whats going on in there.

http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/cg...ws.pl?id=27275

Block 37 developer signs 2 restaurants, clothing store

By Lorene Yue

A new Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises Inc. restaurant concept and a Club Monaco clothing store are among the tenants joining Block 37 along State Street.

...the first Midwest location for Rosa Mexicano restaurant, an upscale Mexican restaurant expected to take up two floors in Block 37...Freed is in talks with other high-end retailers, including Apple Inc. and J. Crew.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i_tab04_layout

Five tenants announced for Block 37

November 29, 2007

...Richard Melman, Founder and Chairman of Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises, Inc. said the company is developing a new dining concept for the third floor project as well as a new coffee idea for street level.

"We have been developing and cooking lots of new ideas in our test kitchen and look forward to introducing some of them at Block 37," Melman said.

Rosa Mexicano will have a bi-level space with a terrazzo staircase and signature water wall, similar to its Lincoln Center location in New York City.

Archived