Miami-born citizens "Southerners"?

9thWonder

My question to y'all is can Miami-born citizens call themselves "Southerners"? I must admit, This question has been plaguing me for sometime. I was born in Miami and I consider myself a southerner and I have pride in that, but heh I don't know. We have so many northerners here that we lost our southern esscense. What do you guys think? Hope this ain't a dumb thread :lol:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think any of the South Florida counties (Miami-Dade/Broward/Palm Beach) could be considered "Southern". The whole concept of "The South" isn't really as geographical as it is cultural. We were built from Northerners' "colonization" and foreign immigration. We're too diverse to be categorized easily.

I have a different view, from most on the forums. "Southern", is more geographic to me, then cultural. I think the region is just too diversified to stereotyped by "old south" culturalism and South Florida is a part of that diversity. So yes, if you what to go ahead and call yourself southern, feel free to do so.

I think people in Miami certainly can claim they are still Southern, but they would have to have certain Southern cultural traits, like food, speech, etc. Just because they area in which you live has been overrun with Yankees doesnt make you one also. Are people in Atlanta Northerners just because you hardly ever hear a Southern accent in Buckhead?

Just find out how many Miamians eat grits. That will quantify your answer right there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: , I've been to friends houses and their folks served us grits, mostly black folk though although I've had one white friend who was very country, his mom would cook grits, fried chicken, all that good stuff all the time. But meh, whatever.

Southern to me is the culture of the deep south. The old time natives in Florida are pretty much all southerners. More than likely they worked the land or had something to do with agriculture. Anywhere south of Palatka the rule seems to be that the more urban an area is the less "southern" it is. As time goes on Florida is becoming more and more diverse. Latin, Northern, Midwestern, and Southern cultures make Florida very interesting.

Go eat BBQ in Liberty City or talk to some of the people that have had horse ranches dor decades in Western Dade, Broward, etc and these people are pretty Southern. There's just an overwhelming cultural amalgam that is Hispanic and to a lesser extent Carribean and New York-influenced that hides this if you don't know where to look for it.

Go eat BBQ in Liberty City or talk to some of the people that have had horse ranches dor decades in Western Dade, Broward, etc and these people are pretty Southern.  There's just an overwhelming cultural amalgam that is Hispanic and to a lesser extent Carribean and New York-influenced that hides this if you don't know where to look for it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can throw Homestead in that mix as well.

• 1 month later...

I don't think any of the South Florida counties (Miami-Dade/Broward/Palm Beach) could be considered "Southern". The whole concept of "The South" isn't really as geographical as it is cultural. We were built from Northerners' "colonization" and foreign immigration. We're too diverse to be categorized easily.

I agree, South Florida/ Miami/ FLL/ Palm Beach might be geographically southern, culturally they seem northern. There is a world of difference between Tallahassee/ Jacksonville and Palm Beach/ FLL/ Miami. So many people that live in south Florida are transplants from the northeastern U.S.

Since this has spread out to the metro, I don't think you can characterize the area as any one thing. There is a huge difference in what you see in say in East Boca Raton and places like Homestead and Florida City.

But this would apply to any metro in the South, especially in Florida. In metro Orlando, there's a world of difference between Winter Park and Winter Garden. In metro Tampa, there's a world of difference between Clearwater and Plant City. In metro Jacksonville, there's a world of difference between Ponte Vedra Beach and Argyle. Trying to classify an entire metro as "Southern" or "Northern" is a virtual waste of time. South Florida is nothing more or less than a diversified southern (because of geographical location) metropolitan area.

I was born and raised in Miami.

But I'm the product of ole tobacco road North Carolina (Dads Fam),

And the fast paced, in your face vibe form East Orange, Nj (Moms Peeps)

But all and all, even though I may not relate to people in Middleburg, I feel as though I'm southern (to an extent). But I talk with sort of a Northern twang,. but it aint yankee, lol

What about people of other races born in Miami? My African American family and friends born and raised there are culturally the same as ones born and raised in other parts of Florida, such as Tampa and Orlando. In today's age of diversity and technology, the only things that really can't be debated are geographic location, landscape, foliage, history and possible architecture. We're too culturally diverse to attempt to classify anything by people's characteristics.

I think the answer then is some Miamians are Southerners, some are not. It depends on the individual's family and choices (i.e. to maintain Southern traits). You can be a Southerner and even live in NYC (but probably not if you were raised there). And, blacks are Southerners too (given the right cultural characteristics, just like whites).

Archived