Miami-born citizens "Southerners"?

9thWonder

^ Not at all,..

I still eat grits, I say yall,..I drive an ole school with the 20 inch rims (for yall that don't know, that's country lol),

I also believe that Football is as much of a religion as Christianity.

I'm still confused at all of those lanes on I-95 (lol, Im kidding).

And also, I attend FAMU, Im surrounded by all over my "Country " Miami people.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So... is being considered a southerner a bad thing to those in Miami?

Taurean, I do believe I've detected a tendency on UP to distance oneself from 'South' or 'Southerner', as if it's akin to having a cleft palate, or something like that. I mean, why would Virginia be in the Northeastern forum ? And why would Louisville be considered a Midwestern city ?

Dale: I completely agree. Many urban "intellectuals" look down their noses at the South as rural and uneducated. This is clearly not true, as witnessed by the many great Southern cities and towns and colleges and universities. And, I never understood what was so bad about the country anyway. Either way, thank you for exposing this prejudice against the South. Southerners should embrace their region and culture and not allow themselves to be inundated by the nasty and brutish dominant culture of the country.

I'm a rattler in my heart. Seminole on paper. I love'm both. I didn't know you were up here in Tally... where in town are you living?

When I'm in Tally, I'm at College Club.

But I actually have the privilege of being a part time student this semester and only come to FAMU on one day for class (except Homecomming. The other 6 days of the week, I'm in back in Orange Park (Jacksonville).

Please dont tell me ur a FSU Grad! lol

I've wondered about Virginia also. I have never considered that a Northern State. Kentucky too, I mean, not too many other states posses the same southern qualities as Kentucky... I mean, isn't that the home of Fried Chicken... a Southern Symbol?

Yep, that Kentucky-Kentucky Fried Chicken pushed me over the top in categorizing Kentucky as Southern. ;)

You're preaching to the choir, bro.

I think the reason Virginia was added to the "Northeast" section was to encourage more activity in that subforum. But everyone knows its a southern state. After all, if the home of the Capitol of the Confederacy isn't southern, then no state is!

Btw, 95-Souf, both me and Jahi98 are alumni of FAMU. Weirdly enough, we both majored in Architecture.

Dale: Where is it that you live? Orlando or Nashville? Just curious.

I thought the Capital of the Confederacy was in Alabama... or was there more than one.

Taurean: The first capital of the Confederacy was Montgomery, AL. This was because the deep South states of SC, AL, MS, GA and FL seceded first and the capital was first located in the central city of Montgomery. Later, when the upper South states such as TN, NC and VA seceded, the decision was made the move the capital to Richmond, which was then the established capital city of one of the oldest and most populous states in the Union. This also committed to the Confederacy to a forward defense, i.e. they could not withdraw from N Va without losing the capital. Anyway, a little Confederate trivia there for you.

Taurean, I do believe I've detected a tendency on UP to distance oneself from 'South' or 'Southerner', as if it's akin to having a cleft palate, or something like that. I mean, why would Virginia be in the Northeastern forum ? And why would Louisville be considered a Midwestern city ?

Well it has nothing to do with that. They were put there to make management of the forum easier. There are certain operations that we perform on the forums that become cumbersome as the number of subforums rise in a section. In addition, the goal when organizing the forum is not to make statement's about the "southerness" of a region, or any other statement for that matter, but instead to make it simple for people to find what they are looking for. It is actually more difficult that it looks because there are always complaints no matter what we do.

We may break up the Southern section of UP again since it continues to grow very fast. When we do make this move to split the South, I would hope that would accept UP as it and not something to make the South look bad. This forum is owned and operated by Southerners (Charlotte specifically) so I don't think you really need to worry about us being prejudiced against the South. Feel free to look at my post history if you are in doubt.

I was born in Miami (the product of northern transplants). I've lived in many parts of Florida, some as southern as they get. I've figured two things out: I'm not southern and "I ain't no yankee either" as another forumer said. I like my grits. I like my tea sweetened. I like my company polite. BBQ... forget about it. So if this is a poll, mark me as neutral.

Having lived here again for the last 6 years I can say that most of Miami has more in common with Queens, NY than Atlanta, GA, but that you'll still find a lot of southerness around. You just have a to look a bit for it. There's still a few natives around, especially in the western sections of Palm Beach and Broward counties and the Southern section of Dade. You'll also find the southern identity as strong as ever in the Black communities of Overtown and Liberty City, where most were early transplants from the rest of the South.

PS. Anyone who thinks Orlando or Tampa aren't southern enough really need to get out more.

I'll have to agree with Brickell on some of his assumptions. You can find southernerness in Miami but you really have to look for it....ironically it's the African American community that's probably the largest group to hold onto their southern heritage in the city. As for the Queens, NY comparison I agree there as well which makes sense since Miami was founded by northerners and maintains many cultural characteristics of the north to this day despite the heavy influx of immigrants.

• 6 months later...

i've been to miami once but i've been to Tampa more than a few times.. Let me just say that it's NOT southern.. sure it may have some southern feel if you dig, but there is NO sweet tea to be found in downtown Tampa. Thats the one thing i missed when I was there! Besides that, the people were great! The sports bars have as much hockey memorbilia as baseball and football, another indication that it has northern influence!

This is coming from someone from the southernmost part of FL, culturally... the redneck riviera. LA, lower alabama as the locals call it. But i'm sure there are some southern people in the rural parts of Dade and Broward as well as Hillsborough.

• 2 months later...

I think the issue is more rural versus urban than northern versus southern. As someone pointed out there are 'rednecks' in the North, and that's not a bad thing. One of the things I always loved about south Florida versus the north is the diversity here. I'm partly from Florida, and partly from Connecticut. CT is way less diverse and more boring! I wish it were still more rural here than urban though. I remember when west Broward was still rural. I miss 'old Florida' a whole lot!! So, yep, I listen to southern rock and blues, and I eat grits too!

My question to y'all is can Miami-born citizens call themselves "Southerners"? I must admit, This question has been plaguing me for sometime. I was born in Miami and I consider myself a southerner and I have pride in that, but heh I don't know. We have so many northerners here that we lost our southern esscense. What do you guys think? Hope this ain't a dumb thread :lol:

The only part that seems Southern to me is the Black population to a certain extent. Other than that, it seems more like a mix of Northern and Caribbean; I guess because it's a very new city.

Archived