Miami-born citizens "Southerners"?

9thWonder

I think the people in Miami who's family has been in south florida area for generations can be considered southerners. basically before the 50's there was no big difference between Miami, Orlando, Tampa or Jacksonville. If you look at past census counts in Florida, you'll see a large spike in Florida population starting in the 50's up until now.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my experience from living in South Florida for 14 years and having travelled to many Southern states over many years, I can say that South FL is not southern. South Florida, especially Miami, has a very fast-paced atmosphere in contrast to the atmosphere I experienced in say, Atlanta. Where I live, I hear central and eastern European languages spoken, although the dominant language is still Spanish. I have had many Italian friends from school, and many of them were transplants from the Tri-State area. And do consider that the majority of Miami-Dade County's population is foreign born. 60%? I have a hard time saying that Miami is even American. It's quite a loner city.

Archived