Charleston should change its name

Spartan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading this article on CNN, I have decided that the other Charleston needs to change its name. Charleston, SC was around for a good century before they even thought about settling the other one. Any other reasons?

Here is the history of the other place.

Confusion like this should not be allowed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl:

Ain't gonna happen.

I'm somewhat familiar with the history of the other city. City names aren't copyrighted though; therefore, the WV city has as much a right to be called "Charleston" as ours does. Should all of the other Greenvilles change their name because ours is a little more prominent?

After reading this article on CNN, I have decided that the other Charleston needs to change its name. Charleston, SC was around for a good century before they even thought about settling the other one. Any other reasons?

Here is the history of the other place.

Confusion like this should not be allowed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-_- This is truly unbelievable. I posted in the NO Politics thread with this question: "Geographically, doesn't it make more sense to fly to Charleston, SC??! It is a TAD closer to New Orleans than the other Charleston.

I agree Spartan, the WV city should change its name, not just because of the notoriety that my hometown has, but for the fact that the city in WV is the capital of the state. They should base the city's name on something distinctly in the state and avoid using a name for an older, more famous city.

Why not call it Charlestonville, Charlestonboro, Charleston City, Charles River, Charlesington, West Charlestinginia, Charlesdelphia, Charleswick, Charlesfield, Charlesark, Charleseckly, Charlestown(no E), Charlesburg, Charleswood, New Charleston, St. Charles. Ok i think ive said enough :rofl:

:rofl:

Ain't gonna happen.

I'm somewhat familiar with the history of the other city. City names aren't copyrighted though; therefore, the WV city has as much a right to be called "Charleston" as ours does. Should all of the other Greenvilles change their name because ours is a little more prominent?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. ;)

I see it more as an irritation that anything. The two cities are almost polar opposites. And with Charleston being one of the oldest and historically significant cities in the nation, there should be no confusing the two.

I think in reality our Charleston needs to build on its already large notoriety by adding the population to make it rank higher than the other one.

Yes.  ;)

I see it more as an irritation that anything. The two cities are almost polar opposites. And with Charleston being one of the oldest and historically significant cities in the nation, there should be no confusing the two.

I think in reality our Charleston needs to build on its already large notoriety by adding the population to make it rank higher than the other one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The population is already higher in SC than the other one. The one in WV has been steadily losing people, and SC's has gained people for the past 2 decades. And as far as the metro area is concerned my hometown's is far bigger than the one in WV. The problem is that the one in WV gets big recognition because it is a state capital. It is even displayed as a big city, because it is the capital, on maps of the Weather Channel and Rand McNally.

I think when the next census is taken, our Charleston will be displayed as a bigger city and will gain much more notoriety.

The population is already higher in SC than the other one. The one in WV has been steadily losing people, and SC's has gained people for the past 2 decades. And as far as the metro area is concerned my hometown's is far bigger than the one in WV. The problem is that the one in WV gets big recognition because it is a state capital. It is even displayed as a big city, because it is the capital, on maps of the Weather Channel and Rand McNally.

I think when the next census is taken, our Charleston will be displayed as a bigger city and will gain much more notoriety.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, but I meant so much higher that people cannot possible confuse the two- though it baffles me that there is any confusion as it is.

I like this thread. haha, it was entertaining to read. hmmm, maybe everyone else should change their name from Greenville, except our's in SC.... hahaha. I seriously wonder what names cities would go by if none of them had the same names... haha, I think we'd have some creative city names. Anyways, If you think about it's like this in most other countries- I think it would be cool to say Charleston, USA or Greenville, USA. Although, I do take pride in saying/writing South Carolina after cities. :thumbsup:

While I understand West Virgina often gets a bad rep nationally, its capital Charleston isn't exactly some small hick town--it's actually a pretty nice small city, from what I've seen passing through and what I've heard from people who've spent some time there. I mean, let's face it, our Charleston is really nice and everything, but it's no Chicago, Atlanta, or even Charlotte. It barely gets regional recognition as it is, aside from being a pretty place to visit.

...I mean, let's face it, our Charleston is really nice and everything, but it's no Chicago, Atlanta, or even Charlotte. It barely gets regional recognition as it is, aside from being a pretty place to visit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree wholeheartedly. It is quite amazing that our fair city gets blown off many times even though it has many things to be nationally recognized for: the first U.S. golf club, Family Circle Cup, Fort Sumter, longest cable-stayed bridge in the Western Hemisphere, birthplace of the Carolinas, Spoleto Festival, Cooper River Bridge Run, etc. It will take Charleston becoming a large city to get the full recognition it deserves. Hence, the north city needs to merge into it! :D

Archived