Charleston should change its name

Spartan

Unfortunately tarnishing is a good word.

While all of us in SC know about Charleston's true history, most people are not students of history and when the question of the Civil war comes up, they incorrectly assume it was a war where the honorable North fought a war to defeat the racist South to free the slaves. I have found this notion is especially prevalent in people from the Northeast. Since the war began in Charleston, the city is most often mis-identified with this really bad and incorrect image. i.e. Civil War = Bad South and Charleston is the first city in the South that comes to mind.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that the reputation of Charleston is exactly "evil," but it's not quite as glorious as it once was. I don't think of Berlin as an "evil" place, but much of its luster is simply not there anymore, at least in my eyes. Furthermore, whether we like to admit it or not, there are still lingering effects in this country stemming from the Civil War.

...........there are still lingering effects in this country stemming from the Civil War.

I know this very well hearing from the constant complaining natives of Moore County, NC mostly of unwanted change. Like increased traffic, more development and outsiders at times insisting/preaching cultural change from its traditional way of life. Examples would be like "the food here sucks" or "you people cant drive" or "why are there no snow plows in the winter" or "why does everyone take so damn long for everything". I will not lie, i am far from having a southern accent but at times the "jersey accent". It gets on my nerves when people from the central/northern part of the county give me ugly looks/treat me like i am some naive/ignorant yankee that is there for no good cause. There are moments say i am at lunch or waiting in line, i talk to these people that i know the county as well, tell them who i know and ive attended county schools since kindergarden. Since i lived in the southern part of the county which is largely populated with non-natives from the last 15-20 years, ive had to go outside my southern moore county territory at times since i was attending High School about 15 miles away, i had friends that went there, keg parties that i was invited to and Midway Grill restaurant for lunch (sooo goood). I love the south and its where i grew up but its horrible that this kind of unwanted attention comes about every now and then. I think the lingering effects are just of matter of not accepting any change such as quality of life, lifestyles and traditions.

Archived