Is Wi-Fi, Cable and DSL obsolete?

PghUSA

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05240/560855.stm

WiMax uses microwave signals that can enable Wi-Fi like speedy connections over an 80 mile diameter! The only thing holding it back is an international agreement on what wavelength it can use . . . hurry up already! No cable no DSL anymore!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that WiMax is just going to wipe out cable and DSL internet access overnight, if ever. In extremely dense areas you will still be able to get higher speeds (without interference or massive speed loss) through wired connections. (Technically, a few fibers into a high-rise building can feed every residence with video on demand, cable, 10 Mbit Internet, and voice service.) And with services like Verizon's FIOS bringing fiber (and 5-30Mbit internet) to the home, the competition already has a huge head start. WiMax will be most beneficial in areas that are currently unable to be served by any other forms of broadband (due to either distance or low population).

WiMax is already obsolete, pushing the envelope on a dead-end technology. Broad spectrum technology is as old as radio cryptology and submarines, but we can't have it in places like the USA because of our privatized, FCC regulated radio spectrum. The island nation of Tonga uses this American technology to provide internet access thats 100x faster than the current fastest experimental cable modem, with full coverage of their nation, free to it's people. Look at the disproportionate abundance of Tongan websites for such an otherwise small community. And no microwave frequencies with questionable ecological consequences on people, plants, and animals.

I am surprised more people aren't using Verizon Broadband Access or similar services. It is high speed wireless that works anywhere in many metro areas and does not depend on a hot spot or a wireless router. It can cost $60-80 per month, plus the cost of the card. But for anyone who doesn't have a landline which makes DSL practical and isn't splitting costs with roommates or family, $60 compares to cable broadband costs.

Verizons' 30Mbps service isn't cheap nor is it available in many areas.

I use Cox and will be upgraded later this month to 15Mbps/2Mbps from my current 5Mbps for still only $50.00 per month.

Just wait until Internet2 goes public. No cost to upgrade but speeds will jump the 1Gbps barrier easily.

IPv6 - 5.11Gbps.

IPv4 - 7.21Gbps.

Verizons' 30Mbps service isn't cheap nor is it available in many areas.

I use Cox and will be upgraded later this month to 15Mbps/2Mbps from my current 5Mbps for still only $50.00 per month.

Just wait until Internet2 goes public.  No cost to upgrade but speeds will jump the 1Gbps barrier easily.

IPv6 - 5.11Gbps.

IPv4 - 7.21Gbps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If there is fiber there it is available.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived