BobLo Docks

wolverine

mcs152.jpg

Boblo Docks is located downriver from the Ambassador bridge. It's an overlooked building that I think has some potential. I've never visited the building in person, but I'd like to someday. From what I've seen in pictures, it has large open floors and is somewhat illuminated inside by natural light through windows on at least three sides. I'm not sure how long ago it was abandoned, but it still appears to be in fair condition. It sits in a very industrial location which could be problematic for its future uses. Personally, I find it ridiculous that steel framed warehouses seem to be popping up everywhere while this solid concrete building sits empty. Although I'm aware the age of multi floor warehouses are a thing of the past, I do think that some industries could save a whole lot of money if this building space was shared. I doubt renovations would come with a ridiculous price tag. Probably, some new windows, some working elevators and lights would be necessary. I think there's some holes punched in a few walls, but that wouldn't seem hard to fix. I'm not a renovation expert, but a pricetag in the low 10 digits would seem reasonable enough to get this building at least somewhat operational.

If a loft project were to be done, which I can't really see happening, large light courts would have to be built in the center, since the floors are so large, natural light would not get very far into the center. The units would likely not receive any work until they were bought by a tenant. Parts of the building could always remain abandoned if they had to, and the cost of renovation could be spread over a number of years since the building is so large, and so expensive to renovate at once. It could make an impact on the neighborhood, although it would likely little. That area is not too great, and the question is whether people would want to live there, even with the great view of the river out their back window.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boblo docks closed in September of 1991.

For now I just see the building sitting there & rotting away. There is a huge oversupply of old warehouses like this in Detroit.

I can't say that I'd want to live there, either. If I was going to shell out a whole bunch on money for a loft it would be in downtown or midtown. I guess if you like living amongst factories and other industries....

Actually I think the view from the building would be the key selling point. I wouldn't doubt some of the units would have a great view of the Ambassador Bridge and downtown skyline. But then, this is where most of the new factories and warehouses are being built, so I don't see it becoming residential any time soon.

I never really thought about it being turned into an office building, although I guess it could serve a wide variety of commercial purposes. For example, some of the floors could be removed to create a climbing gym like the ones in Pontiac and Ann Arbor. Or it could just serve as overflow warehouse space for some businesses. I'm sick of seeing new ugly 1 story oversized sheds for just a single business, where a whole bunch could share and lease space in a much larger building.

Archived