Augusta South

DaGABoyStinger

Yeah, I wanted to do this thread to help put this area out there. This area of Augusta is the most criticized, overlooked, ignored, and steriotized area that I have ever come to know in this city. Yeah, it maybe literally a complete OPPOSITE to the greater sprawing Columbia County, but as it turnout South Augusta has a little of charm of it own to offer next to its now increasing residential development and military settlement.

This for an example is a website on the "Augusta International Raceway", a NASCAR track. Yeah you read me right, I said NASCAR, as like the Daytona, and Atlanta. I couldn't believe this myself to read that at one point AUG had an INTERNATIONAL racetrack. Check it out here. Pictures and more could come soon, or if anyone has any good pictures of the Augusta South area, feel free to post.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting. I for one feel as you do DaGaboy, South Augusta has lots of potential and gets overlooked alot. It is one of the most populous areas of the city and is currently making a comeback (small but its being noticed). When and if the new Interstates make it through Augusta, the southern portions of the city will boom.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you should mention that Socaguy.

Update!! A NEW Dragway (possibly National or International) is being planned for South Augusta. They expect it to cost around 5 Million and bring in 30 Million a year if built. this would really boost Augusta back up economy wise. And to think, this same region was once an International raceway destination and soon could possibly be again. If approved by Augusta Commission (most already are For it) then we could have a NEW drag raceway by 2007.

Unlike the Augusta International raceway in the 60's, this NEW Dragway will be located about 8-10 miles on the Southeastern portion of Richmond County, (off Mike Padgett Highway, GA-56) where the city already owns land for their "Corporate Commercial Park."

At MCG, many of the students called the South Augusta area of the city the middle class ghetto. It is not in the same condition as some the the poorer areas of town near the MCG campus, but half the homes in many South Augusta neighborhoods have burglar bars on them and liquor stores and pawn shops just down the road. Hopefully they can improve the area in the future with some new projects.

Yes this is true, sadly, in areas inside and right around Bobby Jones Expressway (older South AUG). But further south of Tobacco Rd, this is rarely the case, and nice, affordable, and safer homes are being built and developed around this road and southward into the former rural areas of the county. (the newer South AUG), hardly any window bars there.

• 1 month later...

I actually live in Walton Acres which is a nice and quiet neighborhood in South Augusta and I can't complain. A lot of people who say things about South Augusta have never been all over and are just basing their opinion on what they hear or the little part they see.

• 4 weeks later...

yeah I agree, this area definitely is not all that bad. The only "deteriorating parts of South Augusta I can say are "troublesome" would be around the Barton Chapel Rd, Meadowbrook area. Everywhere else is not as bad, in fact this area still feels like home. Hwy 56 area past Tobacco Rd. is a nice developing area (Goshen Plantation has some nice houses and condos).

BTW, I wonder what the progress is on the new Development in Goshen where they were constructing condos, to mimic one you find in Southern Florida, palm trees and all. A hotel was also planned there too. I really would hope to see an increasing housing boom soon, but then again it may be already in the works.

• 2 months later...

I have an update on the new dragstrip that may come to South Augusta. There is a lot of opposition from people of the surrounding area and a rally was held last night. A study was done that showed that the dragstrip would bring in an extra 30 million dollars to Augusta. But another study was done showing increased noise leve, traffic and pollution. The commissioners will be discussing this at the next meeting although they probably won't be voting on it just yet.

• 1 month later...

Yes I was driving around some of those neighborhoods between Willis Foreman and Tobacco Roads and was amazed at how the area has EXPANDED in the course of ONLY a few months. New neighborhoods are bing built and connected to the older ones. Also I saw one of the new schools being built in the neighborhood. This defintely is going to be a dense place after TWO new elementary schools are built, 1/2 mile apart from each other. Not to mention the confusion, so many schools are already in that area.

And you see the same quality and beauty of homes that you would get in Col. Co, but for Tens of THOUSANDS less, and more Land. I really want to live there Again one day.

One Large area, FIVE sub-areas: Fairington, Town and Country, Walton Hills, Walton Acres, Walton Farms

It's only a matter of time before people rushing to buy the overpriced homes in Col. County look toward the southside. The only thing that hurts its growth is the quality of the schools, although as a Hephzibah graduate, I think it and Cross Creek are just as good as Evans or Greenbrier. Especially considering that we have a Hephzibah alumni playing in the Masters next week......

Yes I was driving around some of those neighborhoods between Willis Foreman and Tobacco Roads and was amazed at how the area has EXPANDED in the course of ONLY a few months. New neighborhoods are bing built and connected to the older ones. Also I saw one of the new schools being built in the neighborhood. This defintely is going to be a dense place after TWO new elementary schools are built, 1/2 mile apart from each other. Not to mention the confusion, so many schools are already in that area.

And you see the same quality and beauty of homes that you would get in Col. Co, but for Tens of THOUSANDS less, and more Land. I really want to live there Again one day.

One Large area, FIVE sub-areas: Fairington, Town and Country, Walton Hills, Walton Acres, Walton Farms

I acutally live in Walton Hills. You may have even seen my house. ;)

I acutally live in Walton Hills. You may have even seen my house. ;)

Yeah perhaps I have :thumbsup: . I rode mostly through the new Walton Farms part last time, since that was all new to me. I have been through there before though. I actually used to live in Town and Country on Lincolnton Pkwy when I was younger. we had a nice 8ft in ground pool, the memories :cry: . I used to think it was so far out there. Now it doesn't seem that way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another drag strip has been proposed in South Augusta, this time by the Hyde Park subdivision off of Gordon HWY. The drag strip would need about 300 acres and would require some of the residents to be moved. Most of the Hyd Park residents don't want the strip there due to the noise and other factors. The city will spend 25,000 to determine the feasibilty of this project.

The commissioners want to make Diamond Lakes (which is the largest park in Richmond County) a national and international point of interest. The park which opened a few years ago so far includes serveral baseball/softball fields with concession stands, a library, a community center, ponds to fish in, a walking track and for the near future there will most likely be 12 tennis courts added. There are several other projects planned but many of them are hush hush. The park has already had several regional softball events held there so hopefully these projects will attract more.

It's off of Windsor Spring Rd. about a mile past Tobacco Road. The back of the park actually borders my neighborhood and you can hear them playing softball every night during softball season from my backyard. I really see a lot of development going on. My neighborhood Walton Farms/Acres is doubling in size and two new elementary schools are being built in this area and they are barely a mile apart.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived