Augusta South

DaGABoyStinger

South Augusta has a pretty decent selection of stores for an area which seems to be the most "neglected" side of town. Peach Orchard Road and Deans Bridge Road are seeing a little growth with new eatieries like Ruby Tuesdays and Applebees and big boxes like Lowes and Walmarts, etc. Definately not the best choice of stores but they have a little bit more than what is given credit for.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hephzibah has the more attractive neighborhoods and lot more space than south Augusta. Roads like Tobacco and Windsor Spring have parcel of land ripe for developement. Why does Hephzibah seem it has no interest in developing?

Where is the Ruby Tuesday location on Peach Orchard?

Is it that empty building (old drugstore) next to the old Sunbelt Nissan?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the proposed housing complex that the Housing Authority wants to build off of Deans Bridge Rd. The project will inlcude some low income housing mixed in with middle income housing which has many of the home owners there upset. Personally I think they should build the housing somewhere downtown or close to downtown just like the rest of them are.

About the Housing Project: OH NO :o !!!! I had no idea that this was even a consideration at this site. I definitely expected more "progressive" development here. The Senior Citizen's apartment concept is a good idea for this location, but mixing it with low income, spells trouble, IMO. Crime in this section of the city is already noticed and stereotyped, this will only add on to that.

I think they need to either place this site downtown in /around the Bethlehem area (where all those rundown buildings are anyway, do urban renewal in that area), or they could place it around the corner in the Barton Chapel area, where it may be more suitable, and there are still parcels of undeveloped land there, in between Old McDuffie Rd and Gordon Hwy.

I am glad they are at least thinking about the future of the current Gilbert Manor residents, because they will HAVE to go somewhere once MCG starts to take over. At this site, I actually wasn't too keen on even building the Hampton's subdivision right there by the Walmart. I was imaging maybe some other sort of higher density residential like maybe another apartment complex that's gated, and a bit more upscale, like it is here in Atlanta, and Columbia Co. Plus there is really a NICE view of the City skyline from that area, I don't know if anyone has ever noticed it.

Checkers coming to Hephzibah: Great!!! I'm glad to see my old stomping ground grow and develop, and make it less of a hassle to drive miles for food. I do wonder what else they expect to fit inside that Median on Windsor Spring Rd. It's so weird that they actually Zoned that land. I wonder what'll come next.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

GREAT NEWS FOR THE SOUTHSIDE! Augusta's fine arts school is a reality, Augusta mini theatre broke ground today on a new building on deans bridge rd. Once completed, the 2.2 million dollar building will house 400 aspiring actors at the south augusta theatre. I hope that alot of low income kids, and at risk kids get to use this facility. Alot of kids can only go to public schools after a.r. johnson, & davidson, have no room left. This is a great addition to the quality of education in richmond county augusta finally got something right bout time.

Archived