The Best

GaryP

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion about the absolute best piece of property downtown. What site has all the advantages? What site has the highest profile and the best neighbors? Imagine you are selecting a building site for the Queen of England; where is it?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if it is the absolute best, but the empty lot on Monroe facing the river just north of I-196 has potential. Otherwise, the site where they are building that god-awful modernist art museum is also one of the best in downtown.

If we are going with the "money is no object", and the historical commission is bound and gagged so they can't object, then Calder Plaza would get my vote. As a matter of fact, tear up the whole Vandenberg Center, reconnect the street grid, and make it the true center of downtown again with buildings built to the sidewalk and skyscrapers towering overhead.

The most valuable "unrealized potential" area is the east side of Fairview ave on the hill overlooking north monroe and the river. If you drive there only one or two of the houses are into restoration (and I'm not sure the architectural value of most of them are that remarkable) and the apartment complex at the corner is completely dilapidated. A smart developer would buy all the houses at 50% above value, and put in luxury three-level condos for one of the best views in GR--a potential wide trail down the hill with a skywalk over north division to the developing north monroe area would be a way to tie that whole neighborhood in with more active urban activities, north river festivals, etc...

:)

I don't know if it is the absolute best, but the empty lot on Monroe facing the river just north of I-196 has potential.  Otherwise, the site where they are building that god-awful modernist art museum is also one of the best in downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with Andy. This is the one property that came immediately to mind. It's got the North Monroe location, waterfront, quick highway access, etc.

I agree with Andy. This is the one property that came immediately to mind. It's got the North Monroe location, waterfront, quick highway access, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe a certain lawyer in the area sold the three lots just North of I-196 on the riverfront to the County about 4 - 5 years ago after a deal to build a high-rise office building with some "big out of town user" fell apart, and the parking lot just North of that is owned by GR Press.

That area and the Market/Fulton lots are prime.

I believe a certain lawyer in the area sold the three lots just North of I-196 on the riverfront to the County about 4 - 5 years ago after a deal to build a high-rise office building with some "big out of town user" fell apart, and the parking lot just North of that is owned by GR Press.

That area and the Market/Fulton lots are prime.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The first 300' or so is owned by the County, except for the riverfront which is owned by the city. The press owns one of the lots north of the county land, and the city owns the parking lot north of the GR press lot.

The most valuable "unrealized potential" area is the east side of Fairview ave on the hill overlooking north monroe and the river.  If you drive there only one or two of the houses are into restoration (and I'm not sure the architectural value of most of them are that remarkable) and the apartment complex at the corner is completely dilapidated.  A smart developer would buy all the houses at 50% above value, and put in luxury three-level condos for one of the best views in GR--a potential wide trail down the hill with a skywalk over north division to the developing north monroe area would be a way to tie that whole neighborhood in with more active urban activities, north river festivals, etc...

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^I'd be careful about what you say, GR2NY on SSP lives on the hill and he'd shoot anyone that would take his view away... what a view indeed.

^I'd be careful about what you say, GR2NY on SSP lives on the hill and he'd shoot anyone that would take his view away... what a view indeed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yah, when I was taking photos of renovations going on in that area one time, I was approached by several residents demanding to know what I was doing there. I just left the scene as quickly as possible. Not to say it is a hostile area, but they are protecting that hill pretty vehemently.

The most valuable "unrealized potential" area is the east side of Fairview ave on the hill overlooking north monroe and the river. If you drive there only one or two of the houses are into restoration (and I'm not sure the architectural value of most of them are that remarkable) and the apartment complex at the corner is completely dilapidated. A smart developer would buy all the houses at 50% above value, and put in luxury three-level condos for one of the best views in GR--a potential wide trail down the hill with a skywalk over north division to the developing north monroe area would be a way to tie that whole neighborhood in with more active urban activities, north river festivals, etc...

I've wonder how long it will be until downtown begins to grows across from spectrum and 196 and onto that hill. I can understand why the residents would be so protective too; that view is INCREDIBLE.

Archived