The Vue on main

ricky_the_great

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

according to downtownmemphis.com, the groundbreaking is set for this month. no word on when in the month. 3 full weeks left, so we'll see.

http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/deve...arprojectid=224

the website for the Vue doesn't let on much

http://www.thevueonmain.com/

other than that, I don't know much. I should be downtown sometime later this month and i'll make a point to check it out. Hopefully someone else will have some more info.

according to downtownmemphis.com, the groundbreaking is set for this month.  no word on when in the month.  3 full weeks left, so we'll see.

http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/deve...arprojectid=224

the website for the Vue doesn't let on much

http://www.thevueonmain.com/

other than that, I don't know much.  I should be downtown sometime later this month and i'll make a point to check it out.  Hopefully someone else will have some more info.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a really nice project. I hope it starts as projected. GO MEMPHIS!!!

Who knows what's up with this thing.

The development is getting HUD money because is has a certain number of units set aside as below market.

About 6 months ago, due to the increase in the price of steel, there was a redesign which had to be run back through HUD.

At the time, the developers said that wasn't a problem, just a delay.

I have another question: not relating to Vue on main.

I was looking the Emporis for Memphis. and in horn lake( one of memphis's Metro cities. they have two 35 story high rises proposed called Circle G Ranch and Resort Tower I and II. which i have heard nothing about. does anyone know anything about these?

last I heard, it was a dying plan. It was to be a resort hotel and golf course built on the site where Elvis spent his honeymoon. I think luxury condos/homes were expected too. It wouldn't have been far from Tunica. But in my opninion, they were dreaming over their heads. Here's the most recent article from the Commercial Appeal (9/5/05)

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/desoto...4056252,00.html

I drove past the site about 20 minutes ago and MLGW is down there in the big hole with big bright lights and about 4 or 5 backhoes and bulldozers. There was also a semi-truck parked on Gayoso with large pipes on the flat bed. I don't know why they're doing this at night, but I sure am glad to see this project get started!

I drove past the site about 20 minutes ago and MLGW is down there in the big hole with big bright lights and about 4 or 5 backhoes and bulldozers.  There was also a semi-truck parked on Gayoso with large pipes on the flat bed.  I don't know why they're doing this at night, but I sure am glad to see this project get started!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About time. I think that building was first proposed at least two years ago.

While the 29 story Vue on Main is getting ready to go up, the 22 story Lincoln American tower on the north end of Main St. is being renovated!

http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/documents/cgi.pdf

I haven't heard of any new office towers going up downtown although older buildings are being converted for mixed use. A couple are going up in east Memphis, one will be at Poplar & I-240. Does anyone know exactly why all of the sparkling new office towers go up out east instead of downtown? You would think that with all of the excitement going on downtown that office towers would join in on the boom.

Any word on when construction on the two twin Riverside Towers will begin?

Does anyone know exactly why all of the sparkling new office towers go up out east instead of downtown? You would think that with all of the excitement going on downtown that office towers would join in on the boom.

Unfortunately, there haven't been many new office towers at all in Memphis in the past 10-15 years. Instead, we've had several large campus-type developments (FedEx World HQ, FedEx Technology Center, Lenox Park, etc.). Land is so plentiful and inexpensive in Memphis that the economics for high rise office buildings don't work. It is much cheaper to build "out" instead of "up".

Also, downtown isn't centrally located to the nicer suburbs. The Poplar Corridor and TN 385 are, however.

Our best bet downtown is for more apartment/condo towers like The Vue, and perhaps some hotels.

Unfortunately, there haven't been many new office towers at all in Memphis in the past 10-15 years. Instead, we've had several large campus-type developments (FedEx World HQ, FedEx Technology Center, Lenox Park, etc.). Land is so plentiful and inexpensive in Memphis that the economics for high rise office buildings don't work. It is much cheaper to build "out" instead of "up".

Also, downtown isn't centrally located to the nicer suburbs. The Poplar Corridor and TN 385 are, however.

Our best bet downtown is for more apartment/condo towers like The Vue, and perhaps some hotels.

Yeah, I think downtown Memphis is pretty well a goner for business highrises, at least no more than one every ten years or so, like Morgan-Keegan, Peabody Place, etc.

It's a strange downtown, primarily existing as a residential neighborhood in many ways.

Given that, though, it's one of the south's premier urban neighborhoods.

I suspect that most new construction down there will be residential.

Anyone heard anything more about One Beale Place?

FedEx built beautiful buildings on a sprawling campus. Did they not receive any type of incentives to build downtown. They have three nine story buildings. That would have been a nice 27 story building to add to the skyline. I know that there are a few large buildings left that would take an enormous amount of effort to convert to residential, but minimal effort to upgrade to class A office space. One such property is Union Planters' old headquarters at 67 Madison, next to the Madison Hotel. Pfizer gobbled up a couple hundred thousand square feet in one of the Lenox buildings. IMO, more should be done to lure big tenants back downtown.

Any bets as to when Memphis will finally get a new tallest ?

Isn't One Beale Place supposed to be the tallest, most expensive high rise ever built in Memphis? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thinks its supposed to be condos on the lower floors and a hotel on the upper floors. There are so many smaller buildings being built that I can't keep count. One that really catches the eye is the Riverside 648.

http://www.riverside648.com/gallery.html

I hope the floorplans for the Vue are just as exciting. Anyone heard anything else about a possible renovation of the Sterick building?

BTW Sleepy, I recall a couple of posts back that you said your dentists' office was in the exchange building. Was it in the "Cotton Exchange" building or the "Exchange" building? If it was in the Exchange building, do you know about when they converted to residential? Was it vacant for a long time? I couldn't find anything online about it.

Any bets as to when Memphis will finally get a new tallest ?

When the earthquake hits and 100 North Main falls over. That will make Clark Tower or Commerce Square the tallest, assuming either remains standing.

Seriously, if we're going to get a new tallest, it would have to be residential or a hotel. You might see some 10-15 story office buildings along Poplar sometime in the next decade, but that's about it.

When the earthquake hits and 100 North Main falls over. That will make Clark Tower or Commerce Square the tallest, assuming either remains standing.

Seriously, if we're going to get a new tallest, it would have to be residential or a hotel. You might see some 10-15 story office buildings along Poplar sometime in the next decade, but that's about it.

i dont know so much about that. if residential growth continues downtown. you might see a massive growth in the office market. maybe even a brand new hq perhaps?

BTW Sleepy, I recall a couple of posts back that you said your dentists' office was in the exchange building. Was it in the "Cotton Exchange" building or the "Exchange" building? If it was in the Exchange building, do you know about when they converted to residential? Was it vacant for a long time? I couldn't find anything online about it.

The orthodontist office was in The Exchange Building. I used to go there in the late 60's, taking the bus from East Memphis.

I believe the building was converted to residential around 1990.

Archived