New Condo Towers for downtown?

Luca Brasi

The flatiron building is formed at the intersection of Ann and High St. The intersection itself is a very busy one: Main, North Main, Albany Ave, Ann St, High St and Ely St all converge here.

There are some very old buildings in this area - mostly residential with street level retail. Some are in better shape than others, but most are in horrible shape and uninhabited - especially once you head down Ann or High. This area includes the "flat iron" building we are talking about, the old Dept of Education building (a beautiful old Victorian that will become the new HPD headquarters), the Isham Terry House (beautiful Italiante Victorian) and various turn of the century brick victorian apartment buildings.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mmm, I don't remember a tree growing out the roof, but I will admit that I haven't looked up there. Yeah, the buildings look like crap, but I think they are probably in better shape than you think. It's basically all brick buildings over there.

• 2 months later...

It looks like this might really be happening. Condo towers at both ends of Downtown, that's a great vision. Let's just hope it happens.

Main Street eyesore could become condos

PHOTO/COURTESY City of Hartford

This building at 1161 Main St. could become the next site for luxury condos in downtown Hartford.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Carol Latter &

Diane Weaver Dunne

[email protected]

[email protected]

boarded-up building that has served as little more than an eyesore for years may soon become the latest entry in the luxury condo market.

It may also serve as a connection between the city’s downtown and north end neighborhoods. The property lies at the gateway to north Hartford, the target of ongoing development efforts by the city and private developers.

Joseph Citino, president of Hartford-based Providian Builders, a company that has created about 200 residential units in the city over the past 15 years, has provided a deposit and entered into a purchase agreement to buy “the H.B. Davis building.”

continue story

My God, I hate this building.

Uglycolor.jpg

I hate that building as well. It's just an ugly eye sore. It will be nice to see condo towers there.

It looks like there's a vacant lot beside it. Is the lot big enough for a tower? Perhaps the existing building could be renovated and a tower built beside it.

I wouldn't call it vacant. I'd call it barren. Theres room for a whole new section of Downtown over there in that lot and the adjacent lots.

Cotuit, you have to understand, that building literally sits by itself just north of Downtown. It's on Main St, and there are probaly 8 vacant lots directly around, there are NO bui8ldings but that one, and it's been that way for well over a decade....

Cotuit, you have to understand, that building literally sits by itself just north of Downtown. It's on Main St, and there are probaly 8 vacant lots directly around, there are NO bui8ldings but that one, and it's been that way for well over a decade....

What's the deal with it? Why don't they just knock it down? A parking lot would be better than that building.

no it wouldn't....I'm pretty sure anyone in or near Hartford HATES parking lots. waste of space!

I know it's wasted space, but it's not like that building is gonna be used for anything. It's beatup and in need of fixing.

I know it's wasted space, but it's not like that building is gonna be used for anything. It's beatup and in need of fixing.

Then fix it! Hartford is in a very ambitious streak right now. They're fixing and building things left and right....and doing an excellent job at it. What's one more on the books for fixing? I think they'd do a good job at it. THEN we'd put a few building up next to it....make it an extention of DT. I've LONG thought we should extend DT past the barrier called I-84. It would connect the city to it's residential neighborhoods.

The main reason why the city of Hartford is trying to get empty nesters to move into Hartford is because empty nesters dont have children and right now there is no way that a suburban family is going to move to Hartford with intentions of sending their kids to Hartford Public Schools. I am a senior at Watkinson School and know of a few students who are from the middle and uppler class who live in Hartford (mostly the West End) instead of say West Hartford and so that angle may work of attracting families. The Hartford Public School system is not perfect but it is no way horrendous either. It has imrpoved and there still is work to be done but the city needs more of a mix of middle and upper class families of whatever race or ethnicitiy they may be to balance out the school systems because right now for one thing Hartford's public schools are largely full of black and hispanic students (especially Hartfords high schools) making this a big reason a surburban family would not move to the city.

As bad as Hartford Schoools are -- I think you'd find the HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY SCHOOLS to be WORSE! Why? HCSD (Hillsborough County School District) send kids all over -- some kids are waiting to be picked up by the school buses at 6 am to take them to schools 25 miles away. Hartford might not be one of the best school district in Connecticut, but at least kids can walk to school. In my line of work (Computer sales) I see a lot of HOMESCHOOLED FAMILIES here, because of the quality of HCSD.

Hartford cold trump the rest of the Northeast if it - and its suburbs - could agree to merge school systems into one county-wide system.

Why would you want a COUNTY WIDE SCHOOL DISTRIC? Sorry here in FLORIDA, HCSD is looking to break up into 10 school districts, because the QUALITY of EDUCATION is not what it should be!! I'd rather have my kids go to Hartford schools than HCSD schools.

What I call the Eyesore is the building that you see on Main St. on your right as you enter downtown from the North end and pass Trubull St. 12B is directly across the street and is currently used as a surface parking lot.

Isn't that the old 'HB Davis' building??

Then fix it! Hartford is in a very ambitious streak right now. They're fixing and building things left and right....and doing an excellent job at it. What's one more on the books for fixing? I think they'd do a good job at it. THEN we'd put a few building up next to it....make it an extention of DT. I've LONG thought we should extend DT past the barrier called I-84. It would connect the city to it's residential neighborhoods.

I have no doubt that Hartford is on the right track! If the building is gonna fixed, then I'm all for it. But if it's gonna sit like that for years to come, then what's the point of having it sit there rotting. You have this ugly looking building sitting next to a beautiful skyline. Anyways, isn't there a condo tower proposal for that sight? I hear that it's almost a done deal? I agree DT should definitely extend pass I84..

I have no doubt that Hartford is on the right track! If the building is gonna fixed, then I'm all for it. But if it's gonna sit like that for years to come, then what's the point of having it sit there rotting. You have this ugly looking building sitting next to a beautiful skyline. Anyways, isn't there a condo tower proposal for that sight? I hear that it's almost a done deal? I agree DT should definitely extend pass I84..

I vaguely remember reading something about twin 25 storey condo towers going there.

• 2 months later...

is there any new news for this site....like any renders or talks going on still?

There were a couple of guys working on the butt-ugly building today when I drove by, scraping the concrete veneer off what is actually a red brick, respectable looking building.

I haven't heard any recent news on this site, but it sure looks like they're either actively working toward demo or reno.

There were a couple of guys working on the butt-ugly building today when I drove by, scraping the concrete veneer off what is actually a red brick, respectable looking building.

I haven't heard any recent news on this site, but it sure looks like they're either actively working toward demo or reno.

yup i saw the same thing as i drove buy in the morning on my way to work this past week

• 2 months later...

Archived