the small things

Rizzo

I think I got it, Gary.

Also, I would like to see:

- the bricks inlaid in the sidewalk in front of the Campau Plaza Building fixed (broken and crumbling in spots, I keep tripping over them)

- Monroe Avenue turned into a 3 lane street with parking on both sides, and a left turn lane where needed, and sidewalks much wider (does not need to be such a wide thoroughfare)

- Ottawa made a two-way street from Michigan South to Fulton

- Ionia made a two-way street from Lyon South to Fulton

- Monroe Center made a two-way street the whole way

- Fountain and Lyon opened up to two-way traffic East of Division

- Division made a 3 lane street with parking on each side, wider sidewalks, corner bulb-outs, etc. from Wealthy to Michigan.

That will do it for now..

Thanks

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I got it, Gary.

Also, I would like to see:

- the bricks inlaid in the sidewalk in front of the Campau Plaza Building fixed (broken and crumbling in spots, I keep tripping over them)

- Monroe Avenue turned into a 3 lane street with parking on both sides, and a left turn lane where needed, and sidewalks much wider (does not need to be such a wide thoroughfare)

- Ottawa made a two-way street from Michigan South to Fulton

- Ionia made a two-way street from Lyon South to Fulton

- Monroe Center made a two-way street the whole way

- Fountain and Lyon opened up to two-way traffic East of Division

- Division made a 3 lane street with parking on each side, wider sidewalks, corner bulb-outs, etc. from Wealthy to Michigan.

That will do it for now..

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I rarely disagree with you, but on this case, I have to object to making the streets two way. during the school year lyon can be backed up all the way to college with cars waiting to get into a parking spot. They usually occupy the left lane, leaving the right lane free for motorists to sideskirt the backup at ransom

I rarely disagree with you, but on this case, I have to object to making the streets two way. during the school year lyon can be backed up all the way to college with cars waiting to get into a parking spot. They usually occupy the left lane, leaving the right lane free for motorists to sideskirt the backup at ransom

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK. I'll give you Lyon if I can have the rest of them :) I swear, it looks like some of the bricks in the sidewalk in front of Campau Plaza have been repaired. It was a real Twilight Zone moment this morning :blink:

And who was taking photos around the PWCD - Campau Promenade this morning? I was going to ask what their username was (secret handshake :P )

Snoogit wrote:

"I would like to see more adults-only entertainment (Thats not strip clubs, or adult bookstores)"

Let me firmly second that sentiment! Nothing contributes more to the blanding of a city than an emphasis on "famleeee-friendleeee" entertainment, restaurants, or anything else. The very phrase makes me want to puke broken glass!

You want family-friendly? That's what playgrounds, daycare centers, and backyards are for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey it helped Vegas when they stopped trying to promote the city as a family town, and started the whole "What happens in vegas stays in vegas" campaign.

Another thing I'd like to see is a Planning/City Commision backed architectural detail that was strongly recomended for all new construction in the city.  For example, require a pediment that has elements from a designated historical style, but also let the architect encorporate other elements of the building design.  I think this could create a recognizable style for an era of the city, and after a period of years the specific architectural element defined regulated by the city could be changed. 

So, first off, do you guys understand my idea (I dont know how well I have articulated my idea)?  And if so, do you like it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I rarely support any more beauracracy, I think some kind of Downtown Architectural Standards may be a good idea. With your idea, GaryP, maybe the city could offer incentives if the applicant does what the standards say, such as a more streamlined approval process, increased marketing exposure with the DDA, etc. I don't know how democratic it would be, but its an idea. Basically, I want some asurance that a bunch of "Icon on Bonds" don't get built.

So if I understand what you are saying, your proposal would eliminate buildings like Beta Design's new building with a sail boat lobby in a brick warehouse district?

Actually no. What I was saying was that it would have required that building to incorporate some specific architectural element that all new construction in this era would also have.

I actually really like that building. I think the sail's edge compliments the roof line of the building McFaddins will be opening in. I also think it would be pretty silly to try to just copy the architecture of the area. It would be totally obvious which building was new and which were 100+ yrs old, and IMO would look ridiculous.

I think architecture that everyone likes is pretty boring. I would expect any architectural firm to push the envelope with any building they would be occupying. Look at Integrated (I think) with the football on the side of 96.

Actually no.  What I was saying was that it would have required that building to incorporate some specific architectural element that all new construction in this era would also have.

I actually really like that building.  I think the sail's edge compliments the roof line of the building McFaddins will be opening in.  I also think it would be pretty silly to try to just copy the architecture of the area.  It would be totally obvious which building was new and which were 100+ yrs old, and IMO would look ridiculous.

I think architecture that everyone likes is pretty boring.  I would expect any architectural firm to push the envelope with any building they would be occupying.  Look at Integrated (I think) with the football on the side of 96.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you Gary. An "architectural guidelines" resource for specific areas based on historical significance, architectural styles, suggested materials, prohibited materials, in addition to the standard setbacks. I have seen Beta's building up close, and I have noticed that they included some nice blue brick details on each floor between the windows.

But I don't know what Intregrated is doing. My Brother worked there when they were in their old office, and I think the whole reason he left was because of the design for their new HQs. I am all for cutting edge, but falling concrete walls and palm trees (in Michigan?)??? And what is it with them single-handedly keeping Spancrete in business :P There are other materials out there guys besides poured concrete forms LOL.

Actually no.  What I was saying was that it would have required that building to incorporate some specific architectural element that all new construction in this era would also have.

I actually really like that building.  I think the sail's edge compliments the roof line of the building McFaddins will be opening in.  I also think it would be pretty silly to try to just copy the architecture of the area.  It would be totally obvious which building was new and which were 100+ yrs old, and IMO would look ridiculous.

I think architecture that everyone likes is pretty boring.  I would expect any architectural firm to push the envelope with any building they would be occupying.  Look at Integrated (I think) with the football on the side of 96.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you Gary. An "architectural guidelines" resource for specific areas based on historical significance, architectural styles, suggested materials, prohibited materials, like Heritage Hill has. I have seen Beta's building up close, and I have noticed that they included some nice blue brick details on each floor between the windows.

But I don't know what Intregrated is doing. My Brother worked there when they were in their old office, and I think the whole reason he left was because of the design for their new HQs. I am all for cutting edge, but falling concrete walls and palm trees (in Michigan?)??? And what is it with them single-handedly keeping Spancrete in business :P There are other materials out there guys besides poured concrete forms LOL.

Here's a challenge, in the spirit of metrogrkid and GRGridGirl pushing us to actually affect positive change in Grand Rapids. Pick a project, no matter how large or small, from this list or your own, and work on it until you either finish it or cannot go any further (I don't believe that place exists :) ). You can use this forum for questions or help that you need. There are funds available from different sources, so check them out. I will post some links to help you get started:

Cool Cities Grants:

http://www.michigan.gov/hal/0,1607,7-160-1...9272---,00.html

DDA Forms for grants:

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=2599

If you don't qualify for a DDA grant, help someone else qualify.

If there is a particular piece of property you have in mind, start here:

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=650

This will give you the property owners name and address from the Kent County Records. Maybe you would like to help a property owner make improvements that will make the area more attractive. I have one particular project in mind that I think I am going to start working on. If you are a college student, make it a group project or ask your professors if you can work this into your curriculum/grade. You will probably learn more doing this than you will in any of your classes, and it will change your life.

Consider this thread our own little "Grand Rapids Incubator". I know there are at least two people on this forum who were VERY instrumental with the companies they work for in getting Cool Cities grant money, so they might be invaluable resources.

Once you have your project nailed down, you can start your own thread to give us all updates, successes, failures, etc..

And to add inspiration from a Senior VP I used to work for when I sold contract manufacturing sales: "Puchase order or restraining order, whichever comes first!"

Good Luck!! I'll keep you posted on mine as things progress.

Here's a challenge, in the spirit of metrogrkid and GRGridGirl pushing us to actually affect positive change in Grand Rapids. Pick a project, no matter how large or small, from this list or your own, and work on it until you either finish it or cannot go any further (I don't believe that place exists :) ). You can use this thread for questions or help that you need. There are funds available from different sources, so check them out. I will post some links to help you get started:

Cool Cities Grants:

http://www.michigan.gov/hal/0,1607,7-160-1...9272---,00.html

DDA Forms for grants:

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=2599

If you don't qualify for a DDA grant, help someone else qualify.

If there is a particular piece of property you have in mind, start here:

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=650

This will give you the property owners name and address from the Kent County Records. Maybe you would like to help a property owner make improvements that will make the area more attractive. I have one particular project in mind that I think I am going to start working on. If you are a college student, make it a group project or ask your professors if you can work this into your curriculum/grade. You will probably learn more doing this than you will in any of your classes, and it will change your life.

Consider this thread our own little "Grand Rapids Incubator". I know there are at least two people on this forum who were VERY instrumental with the companies they work for in getting Cool Cities grant money, so they might be invaluable resources.

Once you have your project nailed down, you can start your own thread to give us all updates, successes, failures, etc..

And to add some tenacity inspiration from a Senior VP I used to work for when I sold contract manufacturing sales: "Puchase order or restraining order, whichever comes first!"

Good Luck!! I'll keep you posted on mine as things progress.

Here's a challenge, in the spirit of metrogrkid and GRGridGirl pushing us to actually affect positive change in Grand Rapids. Pick a project, no matter how large or small, from this list or your own, and work on it until you either finish it or cannot go any further (I don't believe that place exists :) ). You can use this thread for questions or help that you need. There are funds available from different sources, so check them out. I will post some links to help you get started:

Nice to see a call out to get active!

I think this topic should have its own thread.

Archived