Another proposed office building in ATL

Newnan

Centennial Hill

Atlanta, Georgia

1,100,000 gsf

Client: Hines

Architect of Record: Kendall / Heaton Associates

Centennial Hill is a mixed-use complex and office tower which commands one of the most visible sites in downtown Atlanta and bridges two major urban districts. Positioned at the southern terminus of the I-75/85 view corridor and spanning the gap between Downtown and Midtown, the building's soaring 45-story prow provides a dramatic visual silhouette from all approaches. The prow is further accented by a glowing blade along the front and top.

Floor-to-ceiling glass gives occupants panoramic views of the city. A dramatic setback at the 30th floor modulates floor plate size for a variety of tenants and creates a private skygarden. The building's curtainwall is composed of a pewter grey glass overlaid with fine grained aluminum projecting fins that emphasize the soaring quality of the tower yet lend a delicacy to the bold architectural forms.

The complex forms a critical linkage between two urban districts and connects, via an enclosed passage, to the adjacent Civic Center MARTA mass transit station. An urban courtyard at the building's base offers lush garden areas and is framed by an arcade, a luxury hotel and a retail gallery.

You guys might already know about this, but I just found it one these guy's website and thought it looked great! What do you think??

Oh, by the way, how do you paste pictures on this?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not too wise as to what our fellow Atlantans may think of it (they live in the city and may know a bit more about how it will affect them), but I like the idea behind it and the rendering looks pretty good.

To post an image, first take the image's url:

for example:

Then place atlanta_skyline1.jpg

See here to learn about ho wto post images.

Two words:

Dead Proposal!!!!!!!

Sweetie that area has been divided up into smaller parcels and have been bought by other developers.

Does Allen Plaza and Novare's new development ring a bell. This is the exact location where they are going. This plan is long dead. You are cleared to have you grieving moments for it as you lay this one to rest.

60 seconds of silence please:

Yishtabach shimcha la'ad malkenu hael ha melech hagadol ...!

Okay back to your regularly scheduled postings.

Two words:

Dead Proposal!!!!!!!

Sweetie that area has been divided up into smaller parcels and have been bought by other developers.

Does Allen Plaza and Novare's new development ring a bell. This is the exact location where they are going. This plan is long dead. You are cleared to have you grieving moments for it as you lay this one to rest.

60 seconds of silence please:

Okay back to your regularly scheduled postings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:o

I knew I had seen that before (on a "dead projects" list somewhere)...should have rememberd that... :blush:

Excuse me for 5 minutes while I go wipe the egg off of my face. :blush:

Sooo....just out of curiousity, why DID they kill the project and let Allen Plaza and the Novare development take this land.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why did they kill the project?

Short version......

Money.

Long version.....

There was money to be made elsewhere...namely Buckhead, Perimeter Center and the Cumberland Galleria area.

Why did the let Barry and Novare take this land?

Short version.......

Money.

Really long version.....

Hines had become so bogged down in development elsewhere in the city that they didn't have the revenue to build this. The economy was in a downturn and there were no major employers looking for 600,000 sq ft of office space. Plus the 9/11 tragedy did not bode well for tall skyscrapers in Atlanta. Everyone begin to scale back. Hines held onto the land for as long as they could then if you noticed, Hines begin to pull back on development in the Atlanta metro markets. Then came Barry and Novare knocking on the door asking for pieces of the assemblage.

It was easy money for development elsewhere so they sold these prime lots to Barry and Novare. It was easier for several developers to develop the assemblage than one single developer.

Is that Yiddish or German?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The "hael" makes me think it could be German because of "Maelstrom", but the rest of the spellings and the use of the " ' " and the rest of the spellings resemble Yiddish, so it's probably Yiddish.

I guess we'll just have to wait for Lady Celeste to tell us.

Is that Yiddish or German?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No Newnan, it's Hebrew.

Yiddish has a much more germanic sentence structure. If you have every been around elders who speak Yiddish, it's almost as if they are switiching back and forth between German and Hebrew.

How did you learn so many different languages?

BTW: Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between Yiddish and Hebrew?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I learned them from my maternal grandparents.

You can get many different definitions of Yiddish but again from hearing elders speak it (there aren't many people who speak it anymore) I would say it's like blending German and Hebrew together. Some say it's the mixture of Hoch Deutsch....or High German and Hebrew. That is not solely true because if you have ever been to Germany, someone from Baden-Wurttemberg speaks a slightly different dialect of German than someone for Schleswig-Holsten or Mecklenburg-West Pomerania....so you can get up to 17 different versions of Yiddish....and that doesn't count with you throw in the Gypsies. Hebrew is the holy tongue of Judaism....and of course the official language of Israel.

Hope that helps.

Archived