Williamsburg Development

hoobo

After looking at the New Town website and the scope of the project, I think there should a thread for developments in Williamsburg. I like that William & Mary's endownment arm is taking an interest in its surroundings by financing New Town. The area's universities are becoming good citizens. Hampton U helped TC. ODU is redeveloping the run-down areas to its east. NSU is working on the RISE center. Anyway, New Town appears to model itself after Colonial Williamsburg and Merchants' Square.

New Town

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know you guys think it all of the projects around this area is bland but its more urban than what we had before so I like it!  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

New Suburbanism. Better than old suburbanism, but hardly perfect or capable of realizing many of the virtues its proponents market. This thing is a decent suburban development but you wouldn't find me wanting to live or work there. Sorry for being a critic. :blush:

Oh and the Discovery Business Park portion? :sick:

looks nice but that's a bunch of parking lots for something that is supposed to be such a "new urbanism" development:

site_plan_big.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: Well hopefully they could cover up some of those parking lots with desnse housing, etc. I don't think all the parking lots are just for this project, I think they may already exist. Could be wrong though, I must admit i've only been to Williamsburg a couple of times.

looks nice but that's a bunch of parking lots for something that is supposed to be such a "new urbanism" development:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Economics. The shops and businesses not being traditional shopping centers and business parks is impressive enough. W'burg and JCC have lots of space. It costs less to build out than up.

Economics.  The shops and businesses not being traditional shopping centers and business parks is impressive enough.  W'burg and JCC have lots of space.  It costs less to build out than up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But they ARE "traditional shopping centers." The difference is that the doors are on the back (Main St) side.

But they ARE "traditional shopping centers."  The difference is that the doors are on the back (Main St) side.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Traditional shopping centers separate themselves from the road by use of a huge parking lot. The lots in New Town are in the back. Additionally, its not just shopping or offices or residences but all three in a format that promotes walking. My only qualm is the massive lot across Monticello, but that's a consequence of available land. If land was scarce, there'd be a garage. Anyway, the point is that if you live in a traditional subdivsion you have to get in your car to go to the bank. If you work in a traditional office park, you have to get in your car to go to lunch. New Town allows residents to walk to the bank and allows office workers to walk to lunch. Promoting walking by placing buildings on the street is what differentiates this developments from other suburban developments. It may not be truly urban, but it isn't truly surburban either.

After returning from a house hunting trip to 757, we spent time in both Port Warwick and New Town. PW is a nicely planned new urbanism community but I thought the architecture was very montonous. New Town was mixed quite a bit more and I liked the way it looked.

But PW has some great shops and restaurants. Loved the bookstore, can't wait to go to Schlessingers and Cowboy Syd's.

By the way, we're moving to WBRG, actually James City County in Powhatan Woods. Can't wait!

After returning from a house hunting trip to 757, we spent time in both Port Warwick and New Town. PW is a nicely planned new urbanism community but I thought the architecture was very montonous. New Town was mixed quite a bit more and I liked the way it looked.

But PW has some great shops and restaurants. Loved the bookstore, can't wait to go to Schlessingers and Cowboy Syd's.

By the way, we're moving to WBRG, actually James City County in Powhatan Woods. Can't wait!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great. I believe you will be managing a Trader Joe's right? Any idea when the one over here in Va Beach will open.. and where it will be also. Thanks.

Great. I believe you will be managing a Trader Joe's right? Any idea when the one over here in Va Beach will open.. and where it will be also. Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't know for sure when, hopefully late 2006 or early 07. I haven't heard what part of Va Beach we'll be in, you probably know the likely candidates better than I do. I was surprised with my center, Jefferson Commons, and how big it is! I think we'll do well there. You'll have to head north and check out my store!

• 3 months later...

While the rendering looks nice. I wonder if W'burg can handle more major retail especially a mall. I seem to recall tourism numbers have been pretty dismal the last few years.

They must proceed carefully. The outskirts of Williamsburg are already starting to look like everyplace else. Care must be taken to consider what draws tourists to Williamsburg. The Colonial Williamsburg sites and Bush Gardens may need augmentation with something else to ensure a steady tourist flow. Shopping? Yes, there is a lot of shopping in Williamsburg, but the outskirst of town have been poorly planned- or not planned at all. Williamsburg is in danger of losing its identity to development.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read this disturbing article in the (WIlliamsburg) Virginia Gazette...Carter's Grove may possibly be sold and developed into a housing clump or a conference center/hotel. This is a terrible idea. The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation has always been secretive about its plans. They have pots of money, so I don't see the need to be selling off their properties.

http://www.vagazette.com/news/va-news1_121...ry?coll=va-news

I just read this disturbing article in the (WIlliamsburg) Virginia Gazette...Carter's Grove may possibly be sold and developed into a housing clump or a conference center/hotel. This is a terrible idea. The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation has always been secretive about its plans. They have pots of money, so I don't see the need to be selling off their properties.

http://www.vagazette.com/news/va-news1_121...ry?coll=va-news

This is horrific. The Carter's Grove Plantation is a gorgeous site, and I am so pleased that I may very well have been in one of the last tours of it. The mansion is amazing, the grounds around it are so rich in history... I really liked it altogether and to loose it in any degree is a shame... maybe they could do something like the Endview project, only with a LOT more preserved land surrounding Carter's Grove mansion (hopefully).

UGH. :angry: